RussaX

Trucking IRL  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Are you trucking in real life?

• I plan to
    • Yes
    • I used to do it
    • No

I have recently started to play Ets and it is fun and relaxing especially because of modding where you can make any changes or challenges you wish and never get bored. Multiplayer is also exciting because it is unpredictable and you never know what are you going to see or experience. I am interested to make a pool and hear your comments if you drive in real life and why do you play this game.

Personally I like to try challenges with different kinds of trailers, tight spots, heavy traffic with traffic jams, parking in difficult spots. Game gives you ability to try a lot of different things and helps you to practice and learn new things.

Today I saw one player trying to force enter Trameri dock and made me laugh. That is one of the reason why MP is fun because you never know what is going to happen.

For me, this game is my dream, I so much wanted to drive long haul trucks across USA, but sadly, when I turned 16 and wanted to get my driving licenses, I've learned that I would never be able to have a normal driving license for a car, let alone a truck driving license, it turns out my eyes and vision aren't good enough to let me drive a car or a truck, I could have a car driving license, but it would have so many restrictions on it, I could only drive when its a rainy or cloudy day, cause the sun can totally blind me out even with good sunglasses, and I would be prohibited to drive at night because the lights of the cars would have same effect for me at night, it would be dangerous. So I gave up on my dream, wish that at least once, I could be a passenger in a truck for a long haul drive across USA, but sadly, I don't think its possible anymore, they run in teams of drivers or solo. I have a uncle that drives a truck, but his new company doesn't allow passengers on board, plus he does extremely boring runs through forest areas.

I'm very lucky to be far from blind, I can do everything normally, but not drive a car or truck in real life, I only have 70% of my right eye vision and 30% of my left eye, and its not something that can be repaired or improved with surgery of any kind sadly, I was born with cataracts in 1980, and they were only discovered when I was 3 yrs old.

76561198104067447.png

1 minute ago, McDodge34 [FR QC] said:

For me, this game is my dream, I so much wanted to drive long haul trucks across USA, but sadly, when I turned 16 and wanted to get my driving licenses, I've learned that I would never be able to have a normal driving license for a car, let alone a truck driving license, it turns out my eyes and vision aren't good enough to let me drive a car or a truck, I could have a car driving license, but it would have so many restrictions on it, I could only drive when its a rainy or cloudy day, cause the sun can totally blind me out even with good sunglasses, and I would be prohibited to drive at night because the lights of the cars would have same effect for me at night, it would be dangerous. So I gave up on my dream, wish that at least once, I could be a passenger in a truck for a long haul drive across USA, but sadly, I don't think its possible anymore, they run in teams of drivers or solo. I have a uncle that drives a truck, but his new company doesn't allow passengers on board, plus he does extremely boring runs through forest areas.

I'm very lucky to be far from blind, I can do everything normally, but not drive a car or truck in real life, I only have 70% of my right eye vision and 30% of my left eye, and its not something that can be repaired or improved with surgery of any kind sadly, I was born with cataracts in 1980, and they were only discovered when I was 3 yrs old.

Not sure how it is in the US, but here in the UK the passenger restrictions are often down to the insurance policies the companies have in place for their vehicles. That said, I'm not entirely sure it's absolute for every company as it's pretty common to see truckers giving a ride to those trade-plate drivers who have to hitchhike home. I know the insurance policy on the vans I had to drive stated that passengers could only be relatives or company employees.

Only thing I can recommend is that you email as many companies around you as you can, explaining your situation and seeing if they'll let you be a passenger.

Been there and done that already, maybe I should try again, last time I tried was 18 yrs ago to be exact, maybe things have changed theses days, but having a passenger that does nothing on board would probably not be productive and may impact the fuel usage on the truck, I could probably offer my services as a PC tech support to the driver if he has a laptop or computer with him, but that's my limit, I'm also unsure if I could contract a personal insurance that would cover me as a passenger in a truck, but I'm willing to do it, to live my dream at least once. When I was a little kid, my mother tried to enroll me in a program that some company do give some rides for Autist persons (I'M Autist Asperger) but it didn't work cause at the last minute, I had to be hospitalized for a severe asthma attack, I must have been around 10 yrs old at this time, I had met the driver and all, and just the day before I was due to hit the road up to North Carolina with him, I was doomed to visit the hospital.

76561198104067447.png

Hey, 

I do Trucking in real life and I have played a lot of ETS before I became a trucker. And I have to say that ETS has taught me a lot of things, but the most important thing it has taught me is the driving technique and such. I still remember my first time parking a trailer, my instructor was surprised how good I was and wondered if I had ever done it before and I told him the only experience I have is from simulator games. 

So if you want to be a trucker, this game can teach you a thing or two. 

smol_size.png.d3544591bca137e20b2ec7bc6cbf68d2.png

Discord: discord.io/BringVTC    |    Bring Website: BringVTC.com

On 10/9/2018 at 5:11 PM, NickThe0ne said:

Hey, 

I do Trucking in real life and I have played a lot of ETS before I became a trucker. And I have to say that ETS has taught me a lot of things, but the most important thing it has taught me is the driving technique and such. I still remember my first time parking a trailer, my instructor was surprised how good I was and wondered if I had ever done it before and I told him the only experience I have is from simulator games. 

So if you want to be a trucker, this game can teach you a thing or two. 

I agree. This game can teach you a lot and you can understand how trailers behave and what problems could occur. If you have never driven a trailer this is a great opportunity to gain some experience which will make your life easier once you start to drive a real one. And the best thing is that it costs you nothing and you can do mistakes from which you will learn.

Only thing that's unfortunate is that people can't drive properly in areas where it's congested. The public convoys and real ops are the only opportunities where you get to drive with lots of people who drive most realistically. It's definitely because admins are watching everywhere during those events though but it's hard to monitor every single part of CD road.

It's definitely one of the reasons I usually like singleplayer more because the AI is really good it's probably some of the best AI I have ever seen in a simulator. They allow you to change lanes when you indicate, merge onto highway, not cutting you off, and overtaking recklessly. They do have some mistakes like when the speed limit drops they slam on their brakes but it's hard to create perfect AI. Also another reason is I can use tons of fun mods in singleplayer. But I still play multiplayer a lot because it's a unique experience.

One day I would like to try driving with trailer but I'm not feeling very confident with real truck. In ETS no problem, I drive like a pro but I have a respect for it in real life. I have driving license B and C and ETS definitely helped me get them and also journeys when I was younger with my dad who was (maybe still is) trucker. But I wouldn't want to be whole a whole week (or even more) somewhere. Maybe later I would change my mind. But for now I'm planning to get work with van and driving to close cities and everyday return to home and have some time to do favourite things. Like gaming. I'm hoping that SCS will add driveable vans in game or BDF (tandems) usable even without trailer. Jeeez that would be amazing.

I remember when I was starting to play this game.. About 20 minutes I was trying to park my cargo in my cabin, now I need seconds. Its a fact of practice, you can practice here and in real life you can do the same tactic, this game is awesome for me, whenever you want you can find heavy traffic, but some players plays this game just for fun, and some of them trolls and then the game is ruined.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there,

Because this topic has been inactive for 14 days I am going to close this topic to keep the forums organised. Topics are started very frequently on the forums, so we need to make sure that the more active topics remain open for discussion.

Thank you to everyone for your input!

If you wish to get your topic unlocked, don't hesitate to PM me.

//Locked and Moved to Archive

• Dziada locked this topic

Archived