NodeJS - future of coding or just a trend?

Hi there!

Lately we all can hear a lot about NodeJS and how it becomes more and more powerful - basically, there's no such a thing that couldn't be programmed using it.

So I have a question - what do you think about it? Is this just a temporary trend or the future of programming? Do other high-level languages, like Ruby or PHP have any chance to resist Node's reign?

Nowadays we can create mobile apps (React Native), desktop apps (Electron), web servers (Express), web apps (React/Vue/anything), IoT applications (Node + GPIO). And by the way JS as the language is fairly easy to learn and has many awesome extensions(e.g. Typescript). So is there still place for another high-level programming languages? Let me know your opinion :D .

• 2 months later...

I suppose it really depends on the developer.

As someone who has developed desktop applications using C# .NET as well as Electron, I find most clients tend to not really have an opinion on what they'd like to use, I usually choose for them depending on their existing hardware and/or their use cases.  NodeJS will most likely have it's place amongst the technologies and will probably used depending on the factors within projects.

• 1 year later...

Year and a half down the line after this question was first asked I can quite confidently say that having a basic to good understanding of JS and Nodejs combined with a bit of React and Redux and/or Apollo and graphql is definitely a much sought after skill, at least in my local area. It's still going quite strong for sure!

Meanwhile I think if we follow trends on what sites like stackoverflow report, that languages like python and go are definitely gaining much traction for both front-end development as well as (dev)ops related roles.

C# and Java and even Cobol are definitely going to stay around as well!

• 1 year later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.