Courtesy on the Road - Rules for Everyday

63e Zen

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always thanks to the players who give way to me (including I overtake / they have the priority but still give way). Some players use left-right-left-right blinker but I personally use the hazard light. However most of them don't know what the meaning is, so I usually use text chat to thank them. Just a matter of politeness.

21 hours ago, 63e Zen said:

What do you guys think about this?

When you are exiting a service station, gas station, job location, etc. You must always yield to oncoming traffic. Also, if there is heavy traffic, drive slow in case you need to stop abruptly.

Well, I said it before and I will say it again:

One may only drive at a speed that the vehicle is under constant control.
The speed must be adapted to the traffic situation, road- and weather conditions as well as to personal abilities, characteristics of the vehicle and to the load.
Naturally, the above goes hand in hand with a reasonable security distance (see: Two-second rule).

On 9/26/2018 at 11:58 AM, Hayaletzarı said:

Indispensable rules :check:

I'm happy you found this helpful!

On 9/25/2018 at 12:03 PM, Joao Rodrigues said:

Well, I said it before and I will say it again:

One may only drive at a speed that the vehicle is under constant control.
The speed must be adapted to the traffic situation, road- and weather conditions as well as to personal abilities, characteristics of the vehicle and to the load.
Naturally, the above goes hand in hand with a reasonable security distance (see: Two-second rule).

I don't think the two second rule applies to the stated situation. This was taken from a player who was facing a ban because he got into an accident while trying to pull into a repair shop. The statement was focusing on yielding to all traffic when you are pulling into/out of locations. I do think more drivers should follow the 2 seconds rule though ;)

On 10/2/2018 at 10:44 AM, *Purtinyo said:

You are absolutely right.Sorry, there are people who don't follow these rules

I hope more people read this thread and maybe add more suggestions to help make a better mp community!

4 hours ago, Robert(truckmania) said:

Good information for beginners to the game!

Glad you found it helpful! Thanks for sharing!

I think most of what you've suggested is pretty reasonable, and is for the most part common sense. Only thing I take issue with is these two.

On 9/12/2018 at 11:13 PM, 63e Zen said:
  • When being passed, move to the right shoulder. This allows the passing driver more space to pass safely. I sometimes even slow down a bit to avoid getting clipped on the front end. When overtaking allow some space before merging back into the lane.

• High beams should be reduced when an oncoming car is in view, in either direction. Flashing high beams could be used to alert truckers of an oncoming speed trap. 

For the first one; I'm not moving over, nor am I slowing down. When you overtake me, you do so knowing and accepting the risks involved in doing so. If someone happens to be coming the other way and a collision is imminent, I will move over or slow down, but otherwise I am not going to be holding the hand of whoever wishes to overtake me.

As for the second one; this is only necessary in real life because headlights on real vehicles can actually dazzle other road users when aimed wrong or on high beam. As your monitor isn't capable of producing anywhere near the light levels to match even a halogen car light on dipped beam, I don't think anyone needs to worry about people running around on high beams.

8 hours ago, McclaudEagle said:

I think most of what you've suggested is pretty reasonable, and is for the most part common sense. Only thing I take issue with is these two.

For the first one; I'm not moving over, nor am I slowing down. When you overtake me, you do so knowing and accepting the risks involved in doing so. If someone happens to be coming the other way and a collision is imminent, I will move over or slow down, but otherwise I am not going to be holding the hand of whoever wishes to overtake me.

As for the second one; this is only necessary in real life because headlights on real vehicles can actually dazzle other road users when aimed wrong or on high beam. As your monitor isn't capable of producing anywhere near the light levels to match even a halogen car light on dipped beam, I don't think anyone needs to worry about people running around on high beams.

These are not mandatory rules. They are more suggestions to avoid preventable accidents.

If you don't want to slow down, you are absolutely in your right to choose that. But if someone is lagging and clips you because on their screen they've passed you, remember all that was need was to just slow a bit to allow them room to comfortably pass. I just speak from experience and this technique has prevented a lot of potential collisions.

As for the highbeams you are correct. It's more out of courtesy. Even the ingame cars in single player flash you to alert you to turn your highbeams off when passing them and they are AI.

1 hour ago, 63e Zen said:

If you don't want to slow down, you are absolutely in your right to choose that. But if someone is lagging and clips you because on their screen they've passed you, remember all that was need was to just slow a bit to allow them room to comfortably pass.

It will always be the overtaker's fault. I (or anyone else) don't have to make sure they can comfortably merge back, it's the overtaker's responsibility to make sure that it's clear enough before doing it. I've been sidewiped lots of times by players who as long as they see their cabin ahead of mine start merging (completely careless about the long trailer behind their trucks). I have learnt to anticipate these idiots and swerve right to avoid damage, but I shouldn't need to do this. It's not courtesy to move away from these reckless drivers, it's self defense against their lack of courtesy, manners and knowledge.

15 hours ago, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

It will always be the overtaker's fault. I (or anyone else) don't have to make sure they can comfortably merge back, it's the overtaker's responsibility to make sure that it's clear enough before doing it. I've been sidewiped lots of times by players who as long as they see their cabin ahead of mine start merging (completely careless about the long trailer behind their trucks). I have learnt to anticipate these idiots and swerve right to avoid damage, but I shouldn't need to do this. It's not courtesy to move away from these reckless drivers, it's self defense against their lack of courtesy, manners and knowledge.

Not sure if you read my answer correctly but never mentioned courtesy in that specific situation. I agree it's still the overtakers fault if he clips you, but driving defensively demands that you anticipate reckless driving in order to avoid a preventable accident. By you saying "I don't have to" because its the other fault is not a defensive state of mind. As a defensive driver it is your responsibility as well, as it takes two to tango. Instead of having to swerve, which is also dangerous because you don't have as much control of the vehicle, just slow down a bit and maybe shift to the side to allow more room. I mean, you don't have to follow any of these rules as they are not mandatory, but I bet if you do, you would not get into as many sideswipes, accidents or confrontations on the road. 

I also would like to use a suggestion from @xhavefunx if he doesn't mind :D. Apparently he is a real truck driver and here is his quote:

"For example; when i was driving 85, for certainly 90% of the time i was overtook by players driving 100km/h+. Almost never like in real life, where someone would overtake me with 90, and i'd flash my high beam as in you can safely merge back in front of me, and they'd thank me with their turn signals."

Any thoughts?

@63e Zen The topic is about Courtesy on the Road, so I assumed that every situation described is related to the title. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I used to drive defensively, swerving to a side is not so dangerous when one is driving by the speed limits. But I got so tired... Dodging idiots and sometimes damaging my truck against an obstacle because there was not enough room or no emergency lane... I came to think that they wouldn't stop doing this if they don't suffer themselves some kind of damage, so for some time, I'd just keep driving, let them hit my truck, record, report and several days ban for "Reckless overtaking and ramming". Sadly, some people only learn through punishment, it seems. Lastly, I got tired of that as well and stopped playing MP for weeks, only recently decided to come back, but exclusively in EU#1. Almost no one there, but those you find, most of them seem to comply instinctively with these courtesy rules.

@FernandoCR [ESP] You did not misunderstand. Courtesy and defensive driving are somewhat intertwined, but I was just stating that giving people room was more about defensive driving than just mere courtesy. 

I share your frustration with the EU2 to the point that everytime I drove, I would end up in a collision of some sort. My friend had to start from scratch due to being hit so many times. I even applied for gaming admin to try to help maintain the server. It depletes the fun when you constantly get into accidents. But I've accepted there will be some accidents as they all cannot be avoided, but I can also do my part to help educate some of the players who read this. I also practice these rules myself and see it as an added challenge to avoid accidents where I can. I can tell you my accidents while driving have decreased since practicing these "rules". I haven't had to submit ban request for some time, hence lightening the load for admins. And if one more person practices these, maybe it will spread. Wouldn't it be awesome where most people show kindness on the road instead of breaking their truck to get in first? 

@63e Zen It would be awesome indeed. But I've lost faith in that happening. Most people seem to see the TMP as a truck racing game, all they look for is to go fast, faster than the guy ahead, specifically. Maybe you remember the amount of complaints when the 150 Km/h limit was implemented. Most of the arguments were like "Now we will be unable to overtake". Too many people play TMP without caring about others because "It's just a game", "I just want to have some fun after a stressful day", even "There are no good truck racing games in the market so we have to use this". I know that I'm probably too strict about this, I see the game as a simulator, drive trucks from A to B, hauling cargoes, doing everything to deliver them with 0% damage. And of course, when in MP, following the rules, being extra careful, respecting other users. It's difficult to enjoy EU#2 playing like that, almost impossible. One game session, 3 hours, 5 jobs cancelled after driving more than 50% of the distance because some idiots thought that it's fine to ram my truck so they could keep their racing line (and this would happen on 3 lanes highways with 2 completely empty lanes to overtake). Having to close a game when you were just trying to relax and have a little fun is frustrating. That's why I chose to go in EU#1. I'd rather drive all by myself most of the time and meet just 5-6 other players (who are usually driving/behaving the same way as me) than try to survive a destruction derby whenever I got to a place with more than 20 people around.

Archived