Traffic Light Change Time

Scania LTD l Top Bloke

Hello all, 

We have all seen countless times people jump red lights but I feel not all people jump them because there just rushing or looking for to cause an incident <_< surely not. But I do feel the traffic light change times do contribute to this. Excessive sets of traffic lights that turn red after about 20 seconds you can barely get speed to get to them so people become inpatient and jump them. 

The thing I feel should change is the amount of time the lights are orange for. In Australia the lights go orange for a good 5-10 seconds before changing to red in ETS2 they seem to change 1-2 seconds after. This gives drivers very little to no time to react specially if they are already in the process of committing to going through them (for instance they are about 10 metres away from the junction approaching at 60km/hr its just a recipe for disaster specially if people are behind expecting you to commit to going through the junction. 

I'm not exactly sure if this is a SCS software thing, im sure it would be, but from a community perspective its nice to know if people feel the same way.

A bit of off-topic but still to do with traffic lights. In ATS there is turning arrows at sets of lights and i'm just saying how amazing would it be if ETS2 could have that. Im sure Europe is rich enough to afford those types of traffic lights. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this forum, any questions, suggestions or in general comments feel free to add them and ill respond when I have the chance

Regards 

Top Bloke | Scania LTD

Kind Regards,

Top Bloke | Scania LTD Director 

Hello.

I don't understand the purpose of traffic lights which switch from orange (or yellow) to red after 5-10 seconds. If the time when orange is switched on is too long, drivers won't pay much attention to this light and will continue moving through an intersection because they know they have enough time for doing that. However, if the orange light is switched to red in only 1-2 seconds, it makes all drivers more disciplined. They know it's necessary to stop at a traffic light provided that they are able to do that without sudden braking which is very dangerous for the vehicles behind them. And if they can stop only using sudden braking, they are still allowed to pass an intersection on the yellow light. And, of course, everyone must stick to speed limits in order to have enough time to brake smoothly. So I believe European traffic lights are better and more efficient than Australian ones.

Hello, 

I don't think it's really necessary for people to stop at a red light if no was coming... Yes, sure they cause crashes but that's only if you are not being careful. Correct me if you meant something else. 

1 hour ago, Top Bloke (AUS) said:

Hello all, 

We have all seen countless times people jump red lights but I feel not all people jump them because there just rushing or looking for to cause an incident

Stay happy and safe

Greetings. @Top Bloke.

I get you and yes it could be somewhat annoying sometimes with the traffic lights and of from the real life in Europe i can't speak that much about except for Sweden and here it all depends on the traffic flow.
As you said regarding longer yellow means either extending the pattern or minimizing the time its green and in my opinion will most likely increase the incidents.But yes it will give drivers more of a warning befor turning red.
And as @Gucci Gang.   Said i say the same.  Expect that traffic lights in different countries are custom made depending on location and frequent use so in my opinion it would be hard to compare completely. For example. As of my experience trucks in Australia are both much longer and heavier and that means longer braking distance and that in turn means that traffic lights need to give a longer warning time befor turning red depending on the speed limit.
And as @Arctic Wolf.   Said.   In my opinion it is both due to impatient drivers and drivers that wanna create chaos but also the sort of serious drivers that sometimes do it maybe because noone else is around so it wouldent hurt anyone. Or by mistake and everyone can make mistakes and we all learn from them.

I usually think like this:
If you are going to stay with the law and traffic regulations or not is up to every driver themself and due to avoid chaos Tmp have a set of rules regarding ex.. Ramming, blocking and so on.    If a driver do break laws and traffic regulations it just shows they either made a mistake or dosn't care to follow them. But the serious drivers do pay respect to others like giving room wen overtaking, being nice out on the road in general and so on.  And ofcourse yes we are all humans and we make mistakes but we also learn from mistakes.

If anyone agrees or not feel free to let me know. Interested in hearing what others think.

Regards Rasmus(SWE)

image.png.a6a307d963f66b70d9bbc05ad8c0f806.png Since November 21, 2014

image.png.8dda56c1044eaadc5aa516fcf7e98c9f.png Since November 21, 2019

On 9/13/2018 at 11:16 AM, Lucy* said:

Most of our players would try to cross in the "Orange Time" -- within 5-10 seconds -- .

So, it could occur more and more accidents than now. :troll: 

In short, I think it would not be so useful for ETS2. :ph34r:(No offence)

I would agree. In real life, people try to rush and make it through the yellow to beat the red light.

Maybe they could test it out in certain locations like the D.O.T. and monitor driving behavior at one intersection with the changes.

On 9/11/2018 at 8:59 AM, Encrypted_Data0 said:

Greetings, 

If you run a red light and hit someone, that is bannable for "failing to yield, ramming". Just report them on the website. Sometimes, I do run a red light, if no one is coming or no one there, that is fine. 

If theres players around dont run down on red. 110% Agreed on what you said there Encrypted

Hello all, 

I appreciate all the feedback, apologies for the late response i have been dealing with personal issues however should be back and more active now. 

I did enjoy reading all the different responses and how you all feel towards this topic. 

The main reason behind orange lights being delayed for a longer period of time simply assists in when you are approaching the intersection. If the light changes from green to orange and you are approaching the intersection at speed then since the lights change form orange to red so quickly by the time you reach the intersection the lights would have been red. The purpose of having lights change from orange to red is to make drivers aware that they have a few seconds to react, if they commit they commit if not then at least they have the opportunity to stop however if they change in 2 seconds then you don't really have much time to decide on stopping or going through them. 

Regards 

Top Bloke

Kind Regards,

I can assure you, every change that could be made the lights will not make any difference to the players who choose to ignore their existence. The majority of TMP players do not approach the game correctly, and from a simulation-minded standpoint. Players will choose to run them whenever and wherever they wish.

5ekjGCj.png

Intel i7 7700k│ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero│G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 16GB 3000MHz │EVGA GTX 1080 FTW│EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2│Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe M.2/Samsung 850 EVO 500GB│Corsair H100i v2│Corsair iCUE 465x RGB

Audio Technica AD700's│Beyerdymanic DT770's 80Ω│Corsair Strafe RGB Blues│Logitech G502 Spectrum│Alienware AW3420DW

On 9/11/2018 at 1:35 PM, B4nshee said:

in crowded areas and in a place where you see a player is close to you, whatever happens to traffic lights, because if you do an accident this will result in your ban. If you are an empty field and you are not in anybody's area carefully, you do not have any inconvenience if you do not harm anyone.

Best regards.

B4nshee

Exactly. There is quite a few intersections on France DLC area that has traffic lights, but the only option player has is to go forward. It is simply idiotic to stop at those since there is no other traffic than other players. And some cities have those corners where you will not cross any other paths (that players can drive).

12 hours ago, JeffSFC said:

I can assure you, every change that could be made the lights will not make any difference to the players who choose to ignore their existence. The majority of TMP players do not approach the game correctly, and from a simulation-minded standpoint. Players will choose to run them whenever and wherever they wish.

Correct me if im wrong, but if you decide to go on red and you crash (into someone) couldn't that count as reckless driving?

4 hours ago, SimplyWild1 said:

Correct me if im wrong, but if you decide to go on red and you crash (into someone) couldn't that count as reckless driving?

Absolutely it is. I usually count a blatant red light run and accident as Reckless Driving & Ramming.

5ekjGCj.png

Intel i7 7700k│ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero│G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 16GB 3000MHz │EVGA GTX 1080 FTW│EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2│Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe M.2/Samsung 850 EVO 500GB│Corsair H100i v2│Corsair iCUE 465x RGB

Audio Technica AD700's│Beyerdymanic DT770's 80Ω│Corsair Strafe RGB Blues│Logitech G502 Spectrum│Alienware AW3420DW

16 hours ago, JeffSFC said:

Absolutely it is. I usually count a blatant red light run and accident as Reckless Driving & Ramming.

Good to get that confirmed, was unsure about it. Thanks Jeff!  

I usually stop, and it actually happends very often when players decide to go full speed on the wrong sideway and just go on red. Happends often that people crash when doing that when theres 15+ players in the city. 

But yeah, never go on red when theres players around. 

I must say that I agree to Top Bloke´s point here. I think that the red lights should be changed so we can try to avoid people jumping red lights. People jumping red lights is annoying, irresponsible and a big problem in multiplayer. It doesn't seem like the administrators of TMP has capacity to punish these drivers either, so some actions should be taken.

Sincerely, 
Marius, CEO of Quality Express

Sincerely,
Marius, Founder of Quality Express

It is true there are several crazy drivers jumping red lights even coming far way, they already have intentions of jump it (really bad behaviour). The problem is not the light timing, the problem are the drivers who dont know or just ignore traffic rules.

In all countries, in the driver school, they say something like "treat orange lights like red lights" but again, the problem are the drivers and the lack or common sense.

For example, if you are driving your truck at 90km/h and you see far away a green traffic light, almost for sure it will be red when you arrive there so start to reduce speed. Simple like this.

Actually, it is true, there are less dangerous situations with harder punishments.

A think that shouldn't be too difficult is smart traffic lights. Sometimes I'm waiting at a red light when nobody is there. They could select an area, when a truck goes in there the light switches to green. Also keeping in mind that when there are trucks at both sides, they would work as normal.

I mean exactly what most of you have said no matter what is changed to the traffic lights no difference will be made to those who jump the lights unless a physical barrier is there stopping them, but that wont happen - a one way invisible barrier could be a solution so traffic can drive through it and people cant drive out of it into the intersection until the light turns green.

But just because we cant physically stop people from jumping red lights doesn't mean that the these ideas shouldn't be thought of or implemented to help improve the game experience for those who choose to play properly.

Kind Regards,

18 hours ago, Averazon said:

A think that shouldn't be too difficult is smart traffic lights. Sometimes I'm waiting at a red light when nobody is there. They could select an area, when a truck goes in there the light switches to green. Also keeping in mind that when there are trucks at both sides, they would work as normal.

I don't know if traffic lights changing time can be "customized" that way for MP, but we need to think that the vanilla game treats these lights for SP, where the player finds traffic almost always at junctions. It's true that some of the lights make no sense in MP, situations like this:

09.20.2018-05.10.12

Because in MP, no one would be coming from the roads closed by a barrier. In SP, the player will see those roads (or streets inside a city) as closed, but traffic will still be coming through them.

I usually stop at all red lights and if I see a green one changing to orange, I'll start slowing down immediately. The problem here is not the time that the lights remain green, red or orange, it's the players who don't give a **** about the rules and will be driving at 80 Km/h inside cities and running lights as if there weren't any. An orange light is meant to warn drivers that an immediate red is coming, so they need to be ready to stop. Sadly, most players (and many real life drivers) see orange lights as "OMG, pedal to the metal before it turns red". If people respected the speed limits and other road regulations, there would be no need for topics like this. Unfortunately (from what I've seen over almost 4 years), only a few players go for the simulation aspect of the game, while the rest seem to think that it's just a competition, I've read so many times things like "There are no worthy truck racing games, so TMP is the way to go..."

i couldnt agree more @bcblackout

Its such a basic feature yet so useful, this in my eyes will limit crashes cause if only people turning can go then obviously if someone goes straight across, it will be their red meaning their fault. No more feeling ballsy and turning infront of traffic risking that ban :)

Kind Regards,

Archived