Experiencing kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

Trust GXT 580 Review

Zulu09

image.png.699ace21d34164e9ccba713bbf26addb.png

Summary

The Trust GXT 580 is a 180-degree steering wheel that I was able to buy for the measly price of 69,99 euros. The wheel is made of plastic and there are a few unrefined spots on the material but overall the quality is good. It's attached via suction cups, which is something I needed since my table has a sort of lip on the end which prevents clamps from reaching all the way down, but the cups are incredibly strong and I had a hard time lifting it to move it. There are 14 buttons if you include start and select, plus the pedals, which left me with one extra key in my control settings, very irritatingly. The overall quality is good and the steering feels, although a little stoppy sometimes, fairly fine.

Pros and Cons

+ Cheap but reliable
+ Tons of buttons
+ X-Input and Direct input modes
+ Responsive and well-made pedals

- The clicky shifters behind the wheel are bound as RT and LT, which is also the bind for the pedals
- The little rubber pads below the pedal "box" (?), which are meant to keep it from sliding around, came off after a couple of hours of moving the box around to get comfortable

+/- The steering wheel moves up and down a little bit, it's noticeable but doesn't affect performance
+/- The wheel is relatively small compared to other wheels, which is a subjective statement, might be good for you or bad for someone else

How to use this in ETS2

The plague of the 180-degree radius is not a problem for you at all. However, there's an easy fix. Click on the following link and scroll down a little: https://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=245218&start=10
A generous guy shared a controls.sii line which helps with the radius. As he explains, basically the wheel in-game will only move as long as the physical wheel moves, and if you need to move the wheel more you can find an alternate solution, maybe reaching over and holding A or D. By adding non-linearity you can change how much the wheel turns to match yours. Overall this system works perfectly for driving on the highway and in general around the city if you take turns in a certain way. Tinker with the controls and you'll reach a good balance.

Final Judgement

Considering the cost I cannot but praise this wheel. It's not the perfect wheel, but if you want to get into some more serious driving and you don't have a controller this is just the one for you.
And since rating things is popular I'm giving this an 8/10.

spacer.png

Since this is a tech related discussion, I am moving your topic to the relevant Community forum - ''Tech Talk'' as the Euro Truck Simulator 2 Discussions section is not the correct place for this. The ETS2 Discussion section is for topics that are only related to ETS2 and ETS2MP. Thank you for your understanding.:)

If you have any further questions or comments, don't be afraid to contact me.

// Moved to Tech Talk.

UsDxWIH.png

Archived