Hot topic #2: Rush hour, driving the traffic jams

Prime

I do usually go in high amounts of traffic and there always accidents, I tend to try and not go too fast that I'm losing control, but a good enough speed so that anyone behind me isn't screaming at me to get out of the way and so that I'm not flying around corners and crashing straight into the back of anyone who has stopped. I do tend to try and avoid this road sometimes and usually take the road past Lille avoiding that road. However, if it is necessary then I usually go on it prepared with Quicksaves in case someone comes of nowhere and destroys my truck.  :rolleyes:

• True Story 1

Well, there's not much to say when handling them other than to sit in the traffic and bear with it.

I suppose it is possible to use the ets2map website to accurately plan a journey but there's no point given that a good percentage of the server population is always in the same place everytime (Calais - Duisburg road).

I agree with all of the rules that TruckersMP have put forward for all of these busy areas as they benefit others.

I love the busy areas, always have, Europort and Rotterdam where my fave places when they where very busy and now C-D is my fave place. I love the traffic and don't mind the traffic jams. One thing about a busy place like C-D is its never boring and you never know what you might see :lol:

How I handle the busy areas depends on the traffic, usually when its really busy I stay a safe distance behind the truck infront and enjoy the trip at the slower speeds due to traffic which should really be common sense (why go there in the first place if your not prepared to slow down and wait in the traffic) but when its quieter I speed :P I guess you could say I go with the flow of the traffic so sometimes thats the speed limit and other times speeding depending on how fast or slow traffic infront is moving.

I can't really say much about people constantly driving in the same areas rather then the rest of the map as I am to guilty of that :ph34r: I do understand why as the dlc areas (especially France and Italy) can be so empty where as C-D and surrounding areas and Germany as a whole can be very busy, people stick to these areas all the time because they want to be around other players. Its nice tho to drive in other areas of the map in convoys or with some friends :)

I think the rules in busy areas are good, the no beacons in areas with 25+ players is a fair number and reasonable even tho its ignored by alot people :( 

The overtaking rule is also good and fair, no overtaking in areas of 25+ people is very fair. I always thought it was unfair to say no overtaking allowed on C-D at all as there are plenty of times not during peak times when you can safely overtake but with the rule now people know they can overtake if there is less then 25 players (providing its safe of course) Of course you will always have those that will pay no attention to that and overtake whenever they want causing crashes but they can get banned :)

Away from C-D and into other busy areas and cities I feel the rules are all good and fair for busy areas :) Beacons is the one rule which I think is not obeyed the most as many people do not turn them off in busy areas :unsure:

9b3f0e1f6c.jpg

it's nice to go where there is movement, but there is one but if you want to go then Yes the game is pleasant, but if you are engaged in the supply of this hardcore because you do not know when you will be "demolished" by racers-inadequate so in such cases, try to run around the loaded areas of the game world (by the way previously rescued cheat on invulnerability to damage, but now they are banned.. but just don't adequate personality driven now to cheat "tank" and stalling on the road with the help of the server team (which doesn't help with the goods "World of trucks" which I prefer to carry in 1 turn because of speed and in 2 due to the synchronization of loads) replacing the cheat for invincibility

Driving in heavy traffic can be a nice change of pace at some times. However I have to admit that the Calais and Duisburg areas are nothing compared to what Europoort used to be in the past, but that has more to do with people being spread out over a longer distance. Which, in its turn, makes moderating that area more difficult because it's much larger.

Personally I'm more fan of the newer regions as well as the Alps as they provide more interesting routes.

• True Story 2

Regards
Prime
Service & Data Analyst

The thing is that people like busy areas because people like action. Sure, driving on a straight road is nice, relaxing, you're listening to your music, driving along, the occasional driver passing by... But people like traffic because traffic creates action. It's quite an interesting phenomenon in fact.
It's similar to the fact that when we see a crowd of people we're naturally attracted to go and see what is happening. The same happens with busy roads, such as the infamous Murder Road, the Calais-Duisburg.

I see no problem with it and to be honest I do like being around other people. I like seeing the difference in respect, seeing some drives using turn signals when overtaking on the highway, people following the law and proper signaling, while around us kids with pimped pink trucks run on the grass while yelling in the voice chat.

If I'm ever in busy areas I act as you would with dinosaurs. Stay very still and no sudden movements, haha!

I think the rules set in these areas are well thought out and it's really just the least one could do to help.

spacer.png

On 8/26/2018 at 1:59 PM, Prime said:

Hello fellow truckers!

The first Hot Topic ran for 2 weeks and many of you participated in the discussions obout the upcoming 1.32 release, now it is time to release a new discussion topic.

For the next 2 weeks we will talk about something that many of you regulary see when playing online and often talk about many different topics: driving (and surviving) in some of the congested areas on the servers.

How do you handle them? What do you think about people constantly driving in the same areas with half of Europe at your disposal? What do you think about the rules set out for busy areas (no overtaking, no beacons)?

Discuss it all in this Hot Topic!

People like to come together because its multiplayer. So i think it's okay that C-D is so busy.

But i think the number of game moderators has to be multiplied at least by a factor 3. Not at once ofcourse because that wouldn't help the quality but increase the number slowly so new moderators get time to gain experience.

I also think C-D needs a 80km/h cap. Which means there will be almost no overtaking possible anymore. At this speed it will be easier for keyboard drivers to keep the truck on their side of the road. A lot of accidents happen when oncoming traffic comes on your lane in a corner because they drive 150. Really dont get why people do 150 in a truck but... well... that's another topic.

I want to mention one suggestion from @Glada_Laxen One should get kicked automatically when using beacons with 20+ players around. Admins will message everyday not to put beacons in busy areas.  TMP should take this issue seriously as it affects others FPS and kick people in 15 seconds if using beacons.

I love driving in high traffic areas as they give great entertainment because of the many accidents that occur in those areas. The rules set in place for those areas are good but no one seems to follow them (Even when there is an admin on!) People still overtake and others still keep their 20 beacons on to cause lag for other players. I feel like a punishment for overtakers in these areas should be a 4-day ban, but some admins just continue kicking those overtaking players. As with the beacon rule with them being not allowed on in areas with 25+ players, I feel the only way to enforce that would be how TMP is currently handling headlights. Please add a server warning of auto kick for people with beacons on in areas with 25 or more people. I feel that wouldn't be that hard to add as a similar system is already in place for turning on headlights during certain times of the day. 

What I do to avoid crashing or getting into unwanted trouble in congested areas is go the speed limit. If you go the speed limit, people have to pass you, letting them risk getting in an accident, whereas you are driving smoothly and safely.  And if someone starts honking at you to move faster, tell them "you are following the rules". But if you want complete safety, just don't go in the crowded areas too often.

traffic jams happen a lot in real life, plus I like the experience of it, it depends on the time of day, love the heavy long haul loads and I do normal loads all over europe

Founder and Owner/CEO of Galactic Warrior Enterprise

Galactic Warrior Enterprise - American Truck Simulator | Euro Truck Simulator 2

@stevenaramos True that, but in real life you don't see vehicles overtaking like maniacs while there's oncoming traffic, you don't see vehicles going on the grass to overtake, you don't see vehicles pushing yours out of their way... The traffic jams in TMP would be awesome if people behaved like rational beings, but most of the players don't. That's why I always used to avoid those well-known areas of the map.