Hot topic #2: Rush hour, driving the traffic jams

Prime

Interesting discussion for this hot topic. 

While I can't say I definitely know why people tend to gather on C/D road, I do have an idea. If we look back a few years ago, Rotterdam was where all the traffic happened, just take a look at this image. Sure, a large percentage of jobs take you through Rotterdam but I believe a decent amount of users went through Rotterdam just because of the number of users there, rather than taking the train, etc. Some people just like driving with a lot of other users, which is completely understandable as it is a multiplayer mod after all. Over time it seems the road has changed to C/D, as more people started using the road, more followed and so the loop started. Compared to when the mod was released, there has been a huge amount of DLC released, you can drive a decent amount of time without seeing anyone, so it's sometimes nice to go back to the more congested cities to interact with more drivers.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens with the traffic over time with the 1.32 release upcoming, maybe we'll see the traffic change to another road or maybe even multiple. 

Keeping your distance between players and avoiding speeding on congested roads is crucial, though of course, you'll always those select few players that decided to troll just like in any other community. I feel a lot of accidents on C/D road aren't actually due to trolls but rather an accidental speeding player causing an accident, player lag, random issues with a players controls, etc, the list is endless. In my opinion, the current rules are more than enough for 'keeping the peace' so to say in congested areas, most players respect them. 

Basically, Driving on busy roads is a enjoyable experience thought avoiding these roads at a certain times would be the best decission.

Why do peoples constantly drive on some of these routes?

Well I don’t see why not, the main problem is not traffic jams and highly populated area whereas the main problem is -

• People ramming each other.

• Driving at high speeds even at turns.

• Overtaking on turns.

• Driving on opposite lanes

and all the rule breaking things some drivers do. 

How do we handle them?

Handling C-D Road can be pretty messy and difficult job because adding a individual rule / System to a place can lead to attract much more traffic as of now. Although there are some ways i thought off for controlling reckless drivers and overtakers :

• Administrational timings sheet for particular busy areas, where each admin can sign up according to their best time or date for administration duties in those areas.

• adding a cctv surveillance which shows truckersmp id instead of in-game id’s. 

Regards.

23 hours ago, Prime said:

Hello fellow truckers!

What do you think about the rules set out for busy areas (no overtaking, no beacons)?

When i am able to count with my both hand the number of players that respect this rule..( on a 4-6 hours game session )... it might be a sign that not alots are respecting it... mayby kick and ban ( and the duration of the ban.. ) need to be higher to avoid to see them back.... i like being in a '' Rush hour ''' but there is a limite between '' rush hour and tradffic '' and '' car speeding, truck racing,overtaking,making accident because i want to overtake everyone everywhere when i want... ( me myself and i attitude )... 

side note about busy area ... the freking hornspamm rule is never been apply ( since i started to play on TMP ) ... could be something to work around ... 

Hello about congestion and catastrophes

my advice is to follow all the rules of the game first then on the road not to drive at the maximum speed of 150 and follow the road markings

I'm glad that game moderators help control traffic in the busiest parts

a good solution is to keep a distance of at least 100 meters  so if the man
before you can react to reduce or stop

if you follow speed limitations of 80 km per hour, you will easily avoid crashes

if you get stuck, be patient and do not complicate the situation

these are my tips to you :)

Поздрави : Wub:

Нощно желание

I also ride D-C to just laugh a bit about the reckless riders or things that happen there through bugs. On the other hand, I drive everywhere regardless of whether there is a lot going on or not, I drive very sensibly and then try as quickly as possible to get out of the areas without damage when I have a freight. What do I think about the rules in busy areas? I think the rules are perfectly fine and should be penalized even slightly harder, depending on the offense, for example, when admonished players who do not want to listen, give a ban some hours. Everyone should drive where he feels like, some just drive on D-C road. If they want to enjoy it, everyone likes it:)

One of the things i don't like, not the high traffic but the fact that people somehow forgot that there are other roads around and most of the map is empty.
I mostly survive because i drive with 90 as top speed and it gives me a  little bit more time to react. Sadly  many people drive like it's speed racing simulator and overtake everyone no matter what the traffic is.

I really enjoy being in moderately populated areas because it adds a more realistic feel. They key to surviving Calais, Duisburg, and all of the other heavily populated areas is to be aware of your surroundings, by keeping an eye on the mirrors all around your trucks, then adapting to the new information you have constantly. Looking ahead also is a great thing to do, so you can predict a collision, giving you more time to react, which saves another one happening as a result of the first one. Also, if somebody cuts in after performing a silly overtake, drop back a little because often a collision is imminent. 

Well i think people are relaxed while driving on popular roads such as C-D road, and they want to show off their trucks and other stuff. I personally drive few times a day at C-D road. Many people are driving very fast so i have tolerance when someone start overtaking me, so yeah, both of us are avoiding the trouble. In my opinion there should be speed limit at C-D road, like 90-100, something around that.

Driving in congested areas can always be a struggle, however here are a few tips that will help you get through it will little to no damage. When following another truck make sure you leave a big enough gap so you can slow down and stop without hitting them. Secondly if you do hit them, use /fix in chat to remove all truck damage. Finally, if you're engine is malfunctioning and you cannot use/fix I reccomend using F7 then rerouting yourself around that area. Hope these tips help!

What draws me back to busy areas? It's fun! 

Depending if you've got the money in your bank account in game to survive a possible bump here and there or a complete write off is the difference between it being fun or being a complete nightmare. I found myself exploring quieter roads during the early stages back when I started my profile over a year ago, but now I find myself heading back to busier areas. It's a challenge... Can 'we'.. The convoy make it across, most of the time... It's a no, but sometimes we get lucky. Busier roads are places where you pass users/ friends you know, or people you've met in the past. 

Of course there are some disasters and unusual sightings on some *particular* roads, trucks flippin', dodging cars', some people attempting the overtake just to make the whole experience a little more exciting. 

I know it's not for everyone but if you don't want this sort of action stay away from those areas, the more you play the game... The more you get to know about them. :D

14 minutes ago, Jenko90 said:

What draws me back to busy areas? It's fun! 

Depending if you've got the money in your bank account in game to survive a possible bump here and there or a complete write off is the difference between it being fun or being a complete nightmare. I found myself exploring quieter roads during the early stages back when I started my profile over a year ago, but now I find myself heading back to busier areas. It's a challenge... Can 'we'.. The convoy make it across, most of the time... It's a no, but sometimes we get lucky. Busier roads are places where you pass users/ friends you know, or people you've met in the past. 

Of course there are some disasters and unusual sightings on some *particular* roads, trucks flippin', dodging cars', some people attempting the overtake just to make the whole experience a little more exciting. 

I know it's not for everyone but if you don't want this sort of action stay away from those areas, the more you play the game... The more you get to know about them. :D

Very truck love driving to and from duisburg on EU2 with 4200 people in game! 

I like to drive in traffic jams, but it would be nice if game would be more optimized and FPS should be higher, but that isn't so much big problem if we all respect traffic rules.

A lot of people should just spread out across Europe, and I will try and avoid congested areas but when I am forced to go to them I slow down and go a bit towards the outside of my lane.

i agree with the no beacons and headlights becose it makes everything laggy for some players with bad pc’s also it. can cause problems with some types of epilepsy. Also it personally annoys me.

I absolutely dislike driving during the rush hour and in a high traffic area. No matter how careful I am, most of the time I would get rammed and my cargo severely damaged (I only do WOT contracts and hate delivering a damaged load).

A few times though I was able to deliver an undamaged load and that is only because of my real life truck driving experience. Of course, I had some luck as well.

Unfortunately, careless players always find different ways to ruin your day even if you are exercising extreme caution...

If some players showed respect and not carelessly overtake, ram and rear-end others - I would not mind at all driving in a high traffic area. It would be a fun and wonderful experience interacting with other drivers who actually care about their driving and other players. Until and if that ever happens, I will stay very, very far away from such areas.

I love traffic. The useless traffic rule is very annoying. I got kicked for it by some Welsh guy after he passed us because we said stuff in chat. I have proof of it, all we did was say "hi" and "he is from wales too" and we got kicked. You can deem anyone as useless traffic, we had trailers and everything. There is no useless traffic, just let people play the game.

In fact, this is why Calais - Duisburg is crowded, so all players go to Calais - Duisburg. Players must go further than other ways. It can always be boring to do Calais-duisburg. :) Have a nice day

(Aslında bunun sebebi uzun süredir etrafta kalmasının bir sebebi var Calais - Duisburg kalabalık ve bu yüzden tüm oyuncular Calais - Duisburg'a gidiyor. Oyuncular diğer yollardan daha fazla gitmeli. Calais-duisburg'u yapmak her zaman sıkıcı olabilir. :) İyi günler )

Well I guess I’m going to break down my experience into parts:

Speed and driving style

I guess it’s more about driving defensely? I drive with my speed limiter on all the time so I make sure I never go above 90, which in my opinion gives me the chance to read the road ahead. Oh, and also just never overtake since it almost never ends well (just look at all the YouTube videos). There’s also the basic stuff of leaving distance between you and the truck in front and also following traffic signals.

Your emotions while driving

Now this is harder to explain, but what I do is that I do my best not to get angry under all circumstances, and yield as much as I can at junctions, queues etc, even if they are in the wrong (cutting queues, inappropriate overtakes, etc). Being passive in a way protects yourself from crashes that result from aggressive driving, because you refuse to be aggressive. There’s no need to fight with him on the road as that will just harm yourself, if you really want to condemn him for his actions just report him, one day he’ll get his lesson.

It’s also important to keep your calm when you are being honked at (I know the air horns are extremely alarming and loud), as long as you are sure of what you are doing. Sometimes people were honked at when they are yielding to others at junctions (usually the one just outside Calais),  and under the pressure of the horns they move and immediately get hit by traffic, while the kids that were honking get away unscathed. So there’s no reason why you need to pay for his impatience.

Identification of other drivers’ driving styles

Now this made seem a bit unscientific but in my case it usually works, and it’s about determining what sort of a driver that player is by observing the truck he drives, which is a bit like using stereotypes, but it’s extremely accurate in cases.

If you see a bright pink FH16 750 with lights all over it coupled with a bright pink livestock trailer, chances are the driver is going to overtake you at 150 km/h before flipping over at the next bend.

Similarly, if you see one of those trucks that have a Renault premium cabin but with a chassis from a Scania S730, just pay attention since his driving is likely quite extravagant.

Do also pay attention to car drivers in general, since well... you know :/

Hope this helps ;)

We're always nearly there.