Useless Traffic?

BadWolf1

On an archived Q&A post, there was a question about receiving negative report ratings on reports from the C/D road.

The admin replying said this,

"As a matter of fact, many people are actually purposely adding useless traffic to highly populated areas just to report other players from there and this justifies receiving a negative score."

So.... What does useless traffic actually mean? I want community feedback on this, am I not understanding this correctly? How can we define useless traffic?

Is it traffic that doesn't need to be there? Because technically, if you're rolling from Calais to Duisburg, you could route through the highways south of the C/D road. (Seen in picture)

But, do you ever need to go from Calais to Duisburg? Technically, you never have to leave any one country. I could stay exclusively in the UK. Am I useless traffic if I decide to go to Duisburg one day? Am I only useless traffic if I don't have a trailer? What if I'm going there to pick one up?

And also consider, can't everyone on the C/D road be considered useless traffic, because you don't actually have to be on that road at all?

What does the community think about this? I'm really confused, and I would like some feedback. Am I overthinking this? Is it merely the intention of the driver? How do you prove intent? I like driving the C/D road, because it presents a challenge, with interaction with other drivers. At what point do I become "useless traffic"?

ets2_20180626_011949_00.png

Honestly, I think that the rule definition is quite clear:

Repeatedly driving to and from an area of high population with no aim other than to cause more traffic. Parking or stopping in areas of high population for no reason. This applies to areas with 25+ users. Using the designated car parks is fine when there is low traffic in the area.

Of course, it's almost impossible to know the aim of players, so no one can say "This player was going there with no aim other than to cause more traffic". Which, in fact, is what happens 90% of the time on that road, but it's impossible to prove unless the player "confesses". So the key word would be repeatedly. And this is the problem here, because with the huge amount of players who are almost exclusively driving on that road, it's almost impossible to spot those who are doing this. Even then, it could be unfair, because someone can just pick a job from Calais to Dusseldorf, then from Dusseldorf to Dover, then from Dover to Koln... All three routes can go through the C-D road and it would be justified to use it.

About your question: "can't everyone on the C/D road be considered useless traffic, because you don't actually have to be on that road at all?". Well, no. Simply because you can set your NAVSAT to pick routes going on small roads, some people find this more enjoyable than driving always on highways, and those would be directed to the C-D road whenever they are travelling between the UK and some areas of the mainland.

Last but not least, "I like driving the C/D road, because it presents a challenge, with interaction with other drivers." That could actually be a definition of "useless traffic". But... fuzzy. Because of the same reason I explained above, you can pick jobs that go through that route, so even when you are "choosing" to go there, you can argue that there's a reason. If we go to the extreme, every single vehicle on the C-D road can be considered "useless traffic", since there are alternative routes, but then, the same thing could be said about almost every single road in the game, it would make no sense.

The useless traffic situation will never be solved on the C-D road. The definition itself is perfectly clear but completely useless for admins as it's close to impossible to enforce correctly.

It's a pointless rule really unless it gets revised by admins. If your intent is to just drive in high population then you would be useless traffic (like most people on C-D). If you just choose to route yourself through there technically you are still useless traffic if your GPS is telling you to take a better route.

The only time you're not really useless is if your GPS legitimately points you on that route. Even then I'd much rather prefer to avoid it as it's faster to go around that area than go through t anyway as its extremely boring, reckless and tedious.

The admin who replied with that has a fair point, some people intentionally drive that route just to record and get people punished for driving recklessly. Whilst getting them punished is a good thing, intentionally going through there just to record and get people banned is considered useless traffic as far as I can see.

Hello,

The "admin" who replied is actually me :thisisfine:

Since my explanation and reply to that question was not entirely clear to you, I am going to describe it again. I will start with your first actual question since you were not entirely certain what the useless traffic is actually supposed to be:

9 hours ago, BadWolf1 said:

What does useless traffic actually mean?

In this context, "useless" refers to not being needed at all. One might argue no truck is needed on the road, however, here it means that the traffic you are adding to that road is redundant. Pilot cars with beacons on or save edited trucks which are hardly allowed that haul 1-ton trailers would be useless. Now, why do I say that? Clearly, when people drive their car, they do not really fulfil any purpose, do they? Also, if a person puts effort into save editing the truck and trailer do a degree that is used for show-off purposes only, it already gives the idea that this person only wants to be amongst other people to be recognised. We would have to prove this user's intention by seeing him several times on that road, however, it is already a sign to follow this person and investigate further.

How can we define useless traffic?

We actually cannot. Since this is a game, nobody actually has the urgent need to go anywhere. Nevertheless, taking the above-mentioned points into consideration, traffic is useless when it is appearing in a successive manner. You drive to Calais, turn around, go to Duisburg and repeat that over and over again. This is a clear definition of being useless.

Is it traffic that doesn't need to be there?

In short, your own answer is the correct definition. As I pointed out above, you can go there if you have a trailer but once your cargo miraculously has this exact route 9 out of 10 times, it is certainly suspicious. We are then wondering why this is happening and the only conclusion is the person's intention to purposely add useless traffic to highly populated areas.

Am I useless traffic if I decide to go to Duisburg one day? Am I only useless traffic if I don't have a trailer? What if I'm going there to pick one up?

If you are doing it once and do not receive any special attention because you have been seen there before, no, not at all. If you do not have a trailer, it is already getting to a level where we need to question how often this happens. However, if you just calmly drive through the situation, it is merely regular traffic like it would occur in real life. The last question would indeed justify that you are being there without a trailer, even though it is not often happening that trailers are being taken from a city 400 km away.

Am I overthinking this?

Lastly, I can definitely confirm that you are overthinking it. After all, we can just wait for the revisit of Germany that was announced by SCS Software. This tiny road will likely turn into a highway anyway and I am keen on getting to know what will be the next highly congested area.

Kind regards,

Anriandor

TruckersMP Community Manager

• 2 weeks later...

Archived