Experiencing kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

Report option for people using scroll lock to lag.

Suggestion Name: Report Option for those Using Quick Save

Suggestion Description: I have noticed that some people will intentionally use the "scroll lock" key on their keyboard to intentionally lag, causing you to ram into you and damage your truck and trailer. 

Any example images: Non avaliable

Why should it be added?: Can be used to catch out people who intentionally cause accidents as it could count up next to their name on the report system as to who the suspects may be.  

Even though you can use "Other" for that purpose, it would not be a bad idea to actually get a proper reason for it, consider not everybody would notice what you reported that person for if you used the mentioned reason.

//Moved to TruckersMP Services.

^

The problem with the "Other" report option is that it is dependent on the Game Moderator's opinion to how it fits Other, the person who I followed last night was calling it out on CB Radio before he used the scroll lock key on his keyboard.  It almost resulted in a dangerous accident as I was forced between two trucks.  Even though it is hard to detect, people who lag when you get close to the rear of the truck and for different periods time could be reported for this.  The auto-save is a set time period, ~1 second whereas this person would lag from anything from a second to two or three seconds, and wasn't in a highly populated area.  

Edited by Jollis
Removed unnecessary quotation.

I have met so many ''laggers'' Jesus, I can say they have ruined so many trips to me and also some of them doesn't realise how they are ruining your driving, I guess they cannot be banned for that, because lagging isn't enough reason to ban people, but yeah I would like if this ''lagger'' thing would be some how solved in future.

My opinion & tip to the problem that many trips are ruined by crashing into another lagging truck: Try to save your game with manual quick save, but ONLY if no one is behind you. So, if you crash into lagger, you can load your quick savegame.

And I think (as Anriandor always wrote) for this reason you can use ''other''.

Kind regards,

ɢʀᴜɴᴅɪɪ

Retired Manager

It's an interesting suggestion, but one that I ultimately disagree with. Detecting whether someone is intentionally saving their game versus someone who is auto saving seems impossible (unless you know of a way then please do tell!). On top of that, many other factors can cause someone lag that are not just related to auto save, including but not limited to, network lag, GPU lag (loading textures, FPS, etc), system lag (disk speed) and so on.  Being able to tell the difference between these factors is often difficult.

However, with the example you gave of someone saying they are going to be saving their game whilst driving causing them to lag, should be punished as they are intending to cause harm to other players. One could argue it falls foul of rule 2.5 - Attempting to use desync in order to cause damage to another users vehicle is forbidden..

The original example was of a driver on the CD road saying he was going to do it, however I think I can make some points about what I meant about this suggestion.  The report option should only be used if you think or know they are doing it deliberately, it should be a counter next to their name on the report system which on the game mods can see.  There are ways that you can detect people using quick-save compared to lag given when auto-save happens at set intervals.  

The main one is lagging when you get close to them, usually within 50 metres they may start to lag more than just the typical auto-save (a second) and there usually ain't n change in number of trucks (I have my TAB open all the time when I drive).

If they have been particularly salty in chat or you had an incident with them and they ended up in front, you will have seen that they may not have lagged  in the city like Duisburg but when you get clear of the city and up in speed it happens frequently.  

Network lag as mentioned by @Moh_  is the hardest as it is completely random mainly due to the delay on peoples pings and updating within the TAB menu, no lag is the same but most people will put something in their tag, even admins to warn drivers.

One solution I have came up with, alongside adding the report option is that the TruckersMP mod could be modified to detect when the quick-save button is pressed.

In response to laggers the only option is to warn them to stay away from populated areas or lower the ping limiter down to more around the 200ms to 250ms mark however with half the servers down, like Asia, that cannot currently be done as it would really limit who can play on TruckersMP, hence why I didn't want to raise it up as a suggestion.  

-1 I don't think this would be fair as plenty of people lag, get random lag spikes or autosave lag some of those people might get banned for lag when they did noting wrong

I can get random lag spikes sometimes for example while often I'm fine and also telling people who have lag to stay away from certain areas is not fair as sometimes due to alot of people around everyone can lag a bit. Lag is something that is just part of this game and something we have to live with, not everyone can afford to have top of the range gaming pcs and some due to location also others might not have the best internet.

Everyone should keep a safe distance behind trucks who are lagging

I doubt people doing quicksave to intentionally  cause others to crash is that big of an issue as its not something you see very often where as people lagging for many different reasons is and unless there is some 100% guaranteed way to tell the difference between lag and someone doing doing quicksave to cause people to crash people then this would not be good 

9b3f0e1f6c.jpg

adding the option is all fine and dandy until someone gets banned for the "scroll lock" lagging issue when they were lagging due to thing beyond their control, such as fps drops*, network bottle necking, sun spots, ddos attacks on network hubs. hamsters dying, hardware lag*, poor internet provider**. if there is a 100% way to prove that the person getting reported was using scroll lock to cause the crash, then I am all for it and they should get banned. however others have said it before, you cant tell why someone lags. IMO if the person announces that they are going to use that and you have recorded it and you still crash in to them the fault is 50/50. you knew they were going to use it and didn't take caution to avoid the accident by following to close. if they are not using it they the fault is entirely on you for following to close. in ATS and ETS, I can tell when someone is getting fps or hardware lag when I am  between 82 and 93 yards behind them. if their truck and trailer start spazzing out I drop back to a minimum of 165 yards. and slow down to 45-50 MPH (ETS) or 50-55 mph (ATS).

* some people like myself cant afford new hardware, so they can and will lag when going through areas of the map. 

** some people only have one internet provider which isn't the greatest in the world and have to live with the so so connection they have.

I just want to refer back to the very first post that was made, I am not talking about people lagging in cities, I am talking about people who are calling it out on the CB Radio, or doing it maliciously on the CD road and so on.  I pointed out that most people who are known to have lag issues will put it into their tag which helps to narrow it down, such as "Keep Distance" or "Warning Lag".  If you keep distance and they use scroll lock, you have the ability to make it as long as you want as you can hold scroll lock down.and the more drivers on your profile the worse it gets.  

I have suggested that you can implement a way in which you can log if someone uses "Scroll Lock" key and it be will logged within the report if submitted by a user, using the report menu, this wouldn't impact performance if it logs if that key was pressed, and if logged more than once in the report you know that someone is deliberately doing it which should carry a more serious punishment.  I am not referring to people who suffer from network lag or computer lag, I have been there, hence the ban on my profile and since getting a new PC I understand the pain of people who have this issue.  But after having it called out on  the CB radio the other night and then it happening to myself I think it should be implemented, logging if a ke was pressed hinders performance less than recording the whole CB radio.  

I hope this clears up some points that may not have been terribly clear at first glance when reading this post.  

It'd be best to just report the users using the online report system with evidence. If you have a nvidia GPU then you can use GeForce Experience to record the intentional lag, and you do not see a performance hit while driving (only when you are saving the video).

I support the idea, but I feel as though it would be harder to implement than crucially necessary.