The speed limiter from the eyes of a reckless driver

BanneD_

I feel the speed limiter should resemble the posted speed limit if that can be coded, maybe with like a 10kph or mph buffer depending on game and preferred unit. Real life no car or truck in their sane mind would do 150kph on a highway that has a posted 90kph unless theyre on the Autobahn. I personally stick to the speed limits on the highways and speed a little in the cities but if its feasible from a coders stand point I feel this would be the best solution to our speed issue

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terry A:

On plenty of occasions, I have reduced my speed from 120-150km/h to 80-100km/h on the highway because I am approaching a vehicle too quickly and don't want to pass them recklessly.

If you have to slow down on !highway! not to pass the other truck "recklessly" then I really hope you don't drive a car irl...

On 4/3/2018 at 12:35 AM, Will [UK] said:

Another problem is the fact that if someone else is overtaking, another person could just speed up and therefore force the overtaker to remain in oncoming traffic.

This could cause the overtaker to have a collision with someone else. I feel that the blocking rule needs updating.

That has nothing to do with speed limitation! I really don't see any rational reason to limit speed in order to prevent this from happening.

On 4/3/2018 at 1:53 PM, claxme said:

I think we should make this tool realistically as possible

Are you even listening to the ... you are writing here? What? 

but this helps reduce reckless driving

You are joking right now? You know what helps to prevent people from reckless driving? Functional reporting system, not this april joke MP platform uses!

solve all the issues here is to vet individual driver, and that will not happen, it's impossible when we have 2 million users on the platform.

You are sucking these numbers out of your finger, aren't ya? Biggest server [EUROPE 2] capacity is 3700 players at once. IT'S NOT IMPOSSIBLE to make an automatic ban system! But in that case someone must be working on it, not just bragging and putting limits on his players.

On 4/3/2018 at 1:22 AM, [P] Lusocargo said:

The speed limit should be at 120 km very frankly, Even so, it is above the real legal limit.

And who goes in the limit of 150 kph wants to overtake another that goes to 150kph for what? Does not make sense. IMO.

Haha this is so funny! Are you sane? Which car should have speed limit at 120km/h? And yes my mate! That's the point! With this limitation you've made overtaking almost immposible! What kind of reality is this?!

On 4/3/2018 at 2:24 PM, Iron Spirit said:

- About the overtaking bit: that's because the overtaker is being selfish. If the overtaker sees he cannot complete their overtake in a timely fashion he should slow down and merge back behind the other truck and keep proper distance. In addition the overtakee could perhaps consider slowing down as well to let the overtaker pass, if he sees the overtaker is constantly gaining on him on hills and such. The speed limit here is not the issue, it's the drivers.

WELL SAID!

On 4/3/2018 at 2:24 PM, Iron Spirit said:

- the final gears in cars are useful for saving fuel.

- I agree with the speed limit not solving the overtaking problem on the C-D road, idiots gonna idiot even if you put the speed limiter at say 110.

You are mah boy!

On 4/3/2018 at 3:21 PM, !([RUSSELL])! said:

^^agree, many accidents are caused by people driving too fast in cars and lorries and not being able to react quick enough or have the required skill level to rectify themselves if things go bad. the speed limit is awesome imo and want it to stay, 93 mph is plenty fast enough in both car and for certain a lorry which i think should be forced to have the limiter on at all times.

Accidents in this game were, are, and will be ! Why are you guys trying to eliminate a crucial part of multiplayer simulator! THIS IS LIFE! Make an automatic teleport when car/truck rolls  or engine gets 50+% damage ..and accident's are solved! 93mph is plenty fast? WHAT?! Just because you can't handle superb at 220kmh, doesn't mean I can't too!

17 hours ago, SIRIO* said:

This is why TruckersMP  must leave the speed limiter in all servers, idiots like this guy fucks the trucking experience

Haha lol get out... how does speed limitation solve any of this guy's offenses?

8 hours ago, ViniKamp1 said:

I believe that the new rules have come to improve and not disturb (my opinion).

I'm disturbed by new rules, your opinion PROVED WRONG!

1 hour ago, andy Suter said:

^^ agree, that guy isn't there to play a truck sim. Hes playing forza with trucks. total douche.

What does his driving have to do with speed limitation? I will drive in oposite direction be it 100km/h or 200 km/h... GET REAL!

19 minutes ago, antrax737 said:

Just limit us back down to 90 and we are good.

You said "i like trucking at high speeds", I didn't even know this exists, for me there is normal driving  max +10km/h above speed limit and racing. So what you are saying is that you actually like racing with trucks

Just because you can't handle truck in higher speeds doens't mean I can't! When you steer on keyboard you are nowhere near the simulation, you can be playing both super mario and see no difference between ets2 and that!

2 minutes ago, BanneD_ said:

Just because you don't enjoy driving in high speeds doesn't mean that there are no players out there who like doing so. The speed limit rule brought a new level of boredom to every other place in the map except the C-D road. To reach most places in the map you drive in isolated highways. If you like driving 90 km/h in an empty road for 30 minutes then good for you. But for me, i like reaching my truck's top speed and drive to the limit to deliver my cargos especially when i go to isolated places where there are 10 players in a 1000 km radius

THATS RIGHT!

2 hours ago, BanneD_ said:

Just because you don't enjoy driving in high speeds doesn't mean that there are no players out there who like doing so. The speed limit rule brought a new level of boredom to every other place in the map except the C-D road. To reach most places in the map you drive in isolated highways. If you like driving 90 km/h in an empty road for 30 minutes then good for you. But for me, i like reaching my truck's top speed and drive to the limit to deliver my cargos especially when i go to isolated places where there are 10 players in a 1000 km radius

And look what your speeding has brought about? Bans for ramming and reckless driving, people like you is exactly the reason why this speed limit was implemented.

@BanneD_ It's not that I dont like driving fast, it's boring, powerful engine makes it even more boring. I do go and drive with car every now and then, SP or MP, Malmo-Oslo, no brakes just hammer down, 220, 240 with Skoda, but it gets boring soon, so i do that maybe twice a year. I kinda do get your point, you should challenge yourself, try driving truck with less power, with GPS turned off and with trailer stability all the way to the left, no trip is boring that way. I bet my ass if you drive 170 without GPS you will miss all your exits on your way. I have nearly 2000hours in ets and if I wouldnt challenge myself I would get bored long time ago.

1 hour ago, Iron Spirit said:

And look what your speeding has brought about? Bans for ramming and reckless driving, people like you is exactly the reason why this speed limit was implemented.

I'm well aware about my ban history and i can assure you that it has nothing to do with the top speed in the trucks or cars. This argument is about if the speed limit brings more pros than cons in the table. It fixes nothing in the D-C Road and it causes problems in every other area of the map. 

6 minutes ago, Iron Spirit said:

@BanneD_Fair enough and in that case, for discussion's sake, do you agree or disagree with the points I made as a reply to your original post?

yes, i agree with all of them except the cars being a luxury. I kinda like driving around from city to city with cars and exploring the map. Currently i'm at 20% exploration and i lack the italia,and france DLC. So i've got to do a lot of free roam with my car and taking the speed limit down is really a bummer.  

@BanneD_ I see what you are saying, and I agree with the idea that if you anr't going so fast a contact maybe smaller and the idea of cars traveling long distances. However, often when a car goes 100mph around a corner flying into you, they don't necessarily mean to. Yes it's a pain to have to drive slower for them but it means they have more control. It's easy to shout at them saying you troll, but really it was an accident as they were traveling to fast. This limiter should reduce that issue and cars (One of the biggest problems of speed) will now be more cautious.

To answer you question mark and quote, the about reality. Not our own reality.

Standard speed limits (unless otherwise stated by traffic signs) [km/h]

Urban roads

40 km/h for Semitrailers and trailers

Non-urban roads

70 km/h for semitrailers and trailers

Motorways/expressways

90kph, 80/70 km/h for Semitrailers and trailers

I still do not understand your remark.

Anyway, if I said I thought it should be at most 120kph, I'm already thinking a lot above the supposed law.

6 minutes ago, [P] Lusocargo said:

To answer you question mark and quote, the about reality. Not our own reality.

Urban roads

Non-urban roads

Motorways/expressways

90kph, 80/70 km/h for Semitrailers and trailers

I still do not understand your remark.

Anyway, if I said I thought it should be at most 120kph, I'm already thinking a lot above the supposed law.

If you want people to take the rules seriously then they need to implement server accounts where no hacks are possible. When you have a load of cash you don't care about the traffic fines or the truck damage. When money is an issue you think twice before braking a rule.

17 minutes ago, [P] Lusocargo said:

That's not what I'm talking about and I do not mix themes. We were talking about traffic rules. In any case, the money of others does not influence me or personally harm my game. But public attitudes do.

I was actually answering in general about rule braking (in game). Not your post directly. The only reason people troll is because they have millions of euros in their bank accounts and can keep paying massive amounts of money in fines and repairs. If you take that away people won't be able to do it soon enough.

According to what you say, are you responsible and others are responsible?
For some reason they put those limits because in a percentage of 90% of accidents were causes of speeding, whatever the route of CD or CD and I recognize that my top speed on this road was 120 km/h and almost hit someone innocent.

As players we want a route out of danger, we can enjoy the roads without the worry of someone crashing at high speeds.

Regards.

3 hours ago, MirEso said:

That has nothing to do with speed limitation! I really don't see any rational reason to limit speed in order to prevent this from happening.

Yeah, it does. If someone overtakes someone who’s going 90mph, the person speeds up by 3 mph, then you’ve got a problem. 

NqBHV9L.png TruckersMP - Staff Team Member NqBHV9L.png

- Twitter | Steam | Facebook | YouTube | Discord -

30 minutes ago, T.J.BDr'Dri said:

According to what you say, are you responsible and others are responsible?
For some reason they put those limits because in a percentage of 90% of accidents were causes of speeding, whatever the route of CD or CD and I recognize that my top speed on this road was 120 km/h and almost hit someone innocent.

As players we want a route out of danger, we can enjoy the roads without the worry of someone crashing at high speeds.

Regards.

This is what i'm saying:

- People having loads of money from hacks in the game is one of the reasons they brake the rules.

- A global speed limit is not the solution to reduce accidents in the C-D route

- Anyone who drives in the C-D route for a long time knows that accidents happen because:

1) Lag

2) Bad Overtake calls

3) Various other minor reasons (trucks spawn, trucks coming out of gas stations in bad timing etc.)

- The speed limit won't help the C-D route cause most overtakes happen between 0 - 120 km/h. It's hard to maintain 150 km/h in a populated C-D route anyway.

So in conclusion, the speed limit rule won't help reduce the accidents in the C-D route and people gonna keep doing their thing.

Now as i mentioned above the current speed limit rule makes the game twice as boring when you're driving in isolated highways. For instance: Scandinavia freeways can sustain speeds up to 220 km/h and won't throw you off the road. Meaning that you can drive in high speeds safely. So this rule won't improve the C-D road and it also punishes every other area in the game. Now tell me how is that ok?

Ok. Seeing that this topic is causing a lot of turmoil lately, I'm going to comment on it. I think, that the limiter it should'nt be, however, there are people who do need it because it is not controlled and make a "Inappropiate overtaking", therefore, the solution is simple, we have two options.

• The first would be to leave the limiter, because people still do not control themselves.

• The second (which seems very impossible) would be that everyone read the rules and especially the guide to pass (https://forum.truckersmp.com/index.php?/topic/105-how-to-overtake-and- be-overtaken-properly/) this could simply prevent accident.

Regards,

Fhancor

7 hours ago, MirEso said:

Terry A:

"If you have to slow down on !highway! not to pass the other truck "recklessly" then I really hope you don't drive a car irl...

I don't really understand what you mean. I slow down to prevent an accidental collision caused by lag/desync; which, I might add, does not happen in real driving. :)

909352999_role_RetiredTeamMember.png.778

1753152791_role_ReportModerator.png.19771713344466_role_GameModerator.png.6d5d141071312553_role_GameModeratorLeader.png.927432954_role_HumanResources.png.9c8e45

16 minutes ago, MirEso said:

Mate i am not even replying to you, either you dont understand english or you dont understand at all... use head to think of how speed limitation helps me overtake and then come back

It won’t though, will it? If a speed limitation is applied to all vehicles and a vehicle is driving at the limitation, how can you overtake him? 

NqBHV9L.png TruckersMP - Staff Team Member NqBHV9L.png

- Twitter | Steam | Facebook | YouTube | Discord -

I agree with the limiter also as it is mainly designed to limit the cars, which as we all know, is a serious pain in the rear end a lot of times for those of us who care in the slightest bit about this being a simulator or realism. A truck will have difficulty hitting that limit unless they have a light trailer or are bobtailing, but a normal load a truck will struggle to hit that limit. The limit will also make, as someone mentioned, these cars less likely to flip going around a corner since they are somehow so topheavy. And we all know the brakes in teh car are godawful so a limit allows for a little more opportunity to brake if needed be, cause in emergency situations its easier to stop from 150kph than it is from 250kph.

18 hours ago, SuperMouse said:

Yes it's a pain to have to drive slower for them but it means they have more control. It's easy to shout at them saying you troll, but really it was an accident as they were traveling to fast. This limiter should reduce that issue and cars (One of the biggest problems of speed) will now be more cautious.

Driving slow =/= driving safer! I can drive safe 220 km/h and I'm about to loose my # and record a video for you guys to prove you are all wrong.

17 hours ago, [P] Lusocargo said:

Urban roads

Non-urban roads

I don't care about your speed limits, I care about game limiting my engine! Learn the difference between what's given by the law and by the horsepower. 

17 hours ago, [P] Lusocargo said:

We were talking about traffic rules. In any case, the money of others does not influence me or personally harm my game. But public attitudes do.

NO! We are not talking about rules! Again, learn the difference between rules and horsepower limited by game!

17 hours ago, T.J.BDr'Dri said:

percentage of 90% of accidents were causes of speeding, whatever the route of CD or CD and I recognize that my top speed on this road was 120 km/h and almost hit someone innocent.

Stop making up numbers as you wish! And the fact that your max speed was 120km/h doesn't mean i can't go 220 on CD road, i've made it several times without accidents caused by me. So stop taking your low skills as arguments in discusion about speed limitation of engines...

17 hours ago, Will [UK] said:

Yeah, it does. If someone overtakes someone who’s going 90mph, the person speeds up by 3 mph, then you’ve got a problem. 

WHAT?! When you overtake, you ussualy want to maintain a speed thats at least 10km/h higher then the speed of car being overtaken. And if the overtaken car starts pushing throtle, you have to slow down and get back behind it. But that has nothing do to with engine limit set to 150km/h. It's called blocking of overtake. And this limit only makes evryone going the same speed, or make overtake maneuvers slower(imagine truck going 145 and car overtaking at 150, nonsense!).

16 hours ago, Fhancor [ARG] said:

The second (which seems very impossible) would be that everyone read the rules and especially the guide to pass

Or to make a fully functional ban system that kicks players that are reported for bad overtaking by more then one person in 10 minute radius. Nothing too complicated. But one musn't be lazy...

13 hours ago, Terry A said:

I don't really understand what you mean. I slow down to prevent an accidental collision caused by lag/desync; which, I might add, does not happen in real driving.

Bro what is this nonsense? Lags? Desync? Nothing to worry while overtaking on highway, that's why there is a left lane and a fast lane mate. I really don't understand the concept of your highway 'overtaking'...

13 hours ago, Fanatico said:

I agree with speed limiter, professional who is professional, respects the limits with or without limiter.

Or you just can't take that there are better drivers who can do more then 150, or you simply forgot about the cars...

7 hours ago, Will [UK] said:

It won’t though, will it? If a speed limitation is applied to all vehicles and a vehicle is driving at the limitation, how can you overtake him? 

Guess what, that's the reason why is evryone so pissed of because of this limitation. Not only it's unrealistic but totaly ### up 

2 hours ago, MrBrandman said:

I agree with the limiter also as it is mainly designed to limit the cars, which as we all know, is a serious pain in the rear end a lot of times for those of us who care in the slightest bit about this being a simulator or realism. A truck will have difficulty hitting that limit unless they have a light trailer or are bobtailing, but a normal load a truck will struggle to hit that limit. The limit will also make, as someone mentioned, these cars less likely to flip going around a corner since they are somehow so topheavy. And we all know the brakes in teh car are godawful so a limit allows for a little more opportunity to brake if needed be, cause in emergency situations its easier to stop from 150kph than it is from 250kph.

For you hardcore truckers there's a server without cars, for us who play this whole game only because of cars, it's pain in the #. The breakes in cars are absolutely great, you just need to set it in the settings. You've just proven that you never played a car, yet deciding on what's good for us. I can drive with car at 220 or more. Just because you all lack the skill that I have, to drive a car properly in higher speeds without accidents, is not the reason to set engine limits. It's bullying! 

1 hour ago, MirEso said:

For you hardcore truckers there's a server without cars, for us who play this whole game only because of cars, it's pain in the #. The breakes in cars are absolutely great, you just need to set it in the settings. You've just proven that you never played a car, yet deciding on what's good for us. I can drive with car at 220 or more. Just because you all lack the skill that I have, to drive a car properly in higher speeds without accidents, is not the reason to set engine limits. It's bullying! 

1.) If the brakes were so good then why do we need to change our game settings to make them work at all? They should work just fine under the normal brake settings we use for trucks

2.) Flying around at 220 is not only a danger to yourself but others

3.) Never once did I say that I wanted to outright remove the car.

4.) I have not nor do I want to fly around the map at 220 cause idk about you but I would like to keep my perfect record just that. Dont feel like getting banned or kicked for being an idiot

5.) Youre not helping your argument at all really by saying you fly around at 220, youre the exact reason this limiter was installed from the sounds of it

6.) Its not like you wont be going fast still. 150kph is still plenty fast, a lot faster than posted speed limits

7.) You say all this but yet when I look at your acocunt it says not activated? Why is that? You speak like you just drove this morning and drive every day but your account isnt even activated

Archived