The speed limiter from the eyes of a reckless driver

BanneD_

Hi,

I wanted to open a topic and discuss the recent change in the speed limit. As the title says, i'm not the perfect driver as i've been banned in the past for reckless driving and more than once. That doesn't mean i don't enjoy the trucking experience the game has to offer but i also enjoy trucking in high speeds. Driving in high speeds can become responsibly as long as the driver knows what he's doing. For instance: The Calais - Train Level crossing (the train before brussel) road has spots for overtake. Considering that the train blocks incoming traffic for about 1 minute that gives a fast truck time to make some overtakes (1 - 2 at best. 3 is pushing it). Also if the driver knows the map parts that show incoming traffic from a great distance, he can overtake safely (Always taking into account the engine power of your truck and the one you're trying to overtake). I'm sure that most experienced (C-D Road) drivers might recognize some of these unwritten rules. The problems i see with the current speed limit are the following: 

- Overtakes in highways take a great amount of time (considering that both trucks drive at 150km/h) and they are possible only when highway is going uphill (the strongest engine "wins"). I've witnessed 3 accidents so far in highway cause both trucks were going side by side for a great distance. 

- Driving long distances with cars is now useless. One of the big advantages of cars was that you could go to remote locations faster. Now it feels the same as going with your truck or even worse cause some trucks accelerate faster than cars.

- 5th gear is now useless in cars. As someone who likes to drive sequential in cars, i'm really disappointed to say that the 150km/h speed limit has ruined the experience. For those who know 4th gear in cars can get you up to 143-144 km/h. So 5th gear can offer the extra 6-7 km/h at 3k rpm which feel pretty useless.

- The speed limit won't solve the Overtaking problem in the C-D road. Especially in the Brussel - Calais part of the road where you can get these speeds easy. 

Right now i feel that the only problem the speed limit solves is not bumping into someone who's stopped ahead of you and you have little time to react (with braking intensity at maximum).

I wanna end my post by saying that i'm actually for the speed limit rule in the game, just not the current one we get right now. For me the best speed limit is around 165-170 km/h. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose one should wonder why anyone is trying to pass another vehicle if both trucks are travelling at 150km/h. I understand your point but also think people should sometimes just follow the person in front of them instead of treating it like a race.

On plenty of occasions, I have reduced my speed from 120-150km/h to 80-100km/h on the highway because I am approaching a vehicle too quickly and don't want to pass them recklessly.

909352999_role_RetiredTeamMember.png.778

1753152791_role_ReportModerator.png.19771713344466_role_GameModerator.png.6d5d141071312553_role_GameModeratorLeader.png.927432954_role_HumanResources.png.9c8e45

Another problem is the fact that if someone else is overtaking, another person could just speed up and therefore force the overtaker to remain in oncoming traffic.

This could cause the overtaker to have a collision with someone else. I feel that the blocking rule needs updating.

NqBHV9L.png TruckersMP - Staff Team Member NqBHV9L.png

- Twitter | Steam | Facebook | YouTube | Discord -

23 hours ago, Terry A said:

I suppose one should wonder why anyone is trying to pass another vehicle if both trucks are travelling at 150km/h. I understand your point but also think people should sometimes just follow the person in front of them instead of treating it like a race.

On plenty of occasions, I have reduced my speed from 120-150km/h to 80-100km/h on the highway because I am approaching a vehicle too quickly and don't want to pass them recklessly.

Well considering that you're driving alone in the highway and starting to approach another truck, you realise that you're going faster than him so you're preparing to overtake. Now if both trucks can go up to 150km/h the difference in speed will be only in the uphill driving.

To Will [UK] 

I'm going to assume that you're talking for the C-D road. So in my experience if the truck in front of you can go up to 150km/h while you're overtaking then you really shouldn't overtake. If you can't overtake in less than 7-8 seconds then don't do it at all. A truck without cargo can overtake a truck with cargo in 5 seconds (average). If you know where to overtake then you'll never cause an accident. The speed limit does not cause a problem in overtaking in the C-D Road since the most important thing in overtaking is acceleration and not top speed. 

I consider myself a conscientious driver, these measures were not made for anyone in particular, but for a comprehensive set of server users. The speed limit should be at 120 km very frankly, Even so, it is above the real legal limit.

And who goes in the limit of 150 kph wants to overtake another that goes to 150kph for what? Does not make sense. IMO.

I think we should make this tool realistically as possible, the speed limit is a great step to make the game better and I hope it decreases further, no truck in real life should be doing over 70mph anyway, it is very dangerous. The speed limit might not solve everything, and of course, the team know this but this helps reduce reckless driving, the disadvantage for trolls and fewer reports. The only way we are going to solve all the issues here is to vet individual driver, and that will not happen, it's impossible when we have 2 million users on the platform.

Re your point on cars being useless, they were never in the original game and this is an add-on, so we are very lucky to still have them. If you use the car as a speeding tool to go to remote locations, I assume you were driving at speeds that cause havoc to other road users and that probably explains your bans. You are a prime example why the rule works well, clamps down on reckless driving! Just giving my opinion since you have posted in the discussion forum. 

14 hours ago, BanneD_ said:

- Overtakes in highways take a great amount of time (considering that both trucks drive at 150km/h) and they are possible only when highway is going uphill (the strongest engine "wins"). I've witnessed 3 accidents so far in highway cause both trucks were going side by side for a great distance. 

- Driving long distances with cars is now useless. One of the big advantages of cars was that you could go to remote locations faster. Now it feels the same as going with your truck or even worse cause some trucks accelerate faster than cars.

- 5th gear is now useless in cars. As someone who likes to drive sequential in cars, i'm really disappointed to say that the 150km/h speed limit has ruined the experience. For those who know 4th gear in cars can get you up to 143-144 km/h. So 5th gear can offer the extra 6-7 km/h at 3k rpm which feel pretty useless.

- The speed limit won't solve the Overtaking problem in the C-D road. Especially in the Brussel - Calais part of the road where you can get these speeds easy. 

Right now i feel that the only problem the speed limit solves is not bumping into someone who's stopped ahead of you and you have little time to react (with braking intensity at maximum).

I wanna end my post by saying that i'm actually for the speed limit rule in the game, just not the current one we get right now. For me the best speed limit is around 165-170 km/h. 

- About the overtaking bit: that's because the overtaker is being selfish. If the overtaker sees he cannot complete their overtake in a timely fashion he should slow down and merge back behind the other truck and keep proper distance. In addition the overtakee could perhaps consider slowing down as well to let the overtaker pass, if he sees the overtaker is constantly gaining on him on hills and such. The speed limit here is not the issue, it's the drivers.

- As for the long distances bit, that's what I consider a  luxury problem. Go to SP and use the /goto command to teleport yourself where you want to be.

- the final gears in cars are useful for saving fuel.

- I agree with the speed limit not solving the overtaking problem on the C-D road, idiots gonna idiot even if you put the speed limiter at say 110.

For a safe overtaking manoeuvre, following simple rules should be taken into consideration:

• Overtaking is only allowed if one can ensure that no other road user is jeopardized during the entire overtaking process.
  • Overtaking is not allowed if prohibited by traffic signs or in-game rules or if the traffic situation is not clear.
  • Also do not overtake in crossroads, at pedestrian crossings or railway crossings.
  • Who is overtaken must not increase ones speed.
  • Always observe, signal, manoeuvre.

Drive safely!

This speed limiter has nothing to do with preventing overtaking, its only goal is to help prevent so many reckless driving crashes that have been caused by going higher speeds.

I think what they should do is figout how to make to speed  limiters and limit the truck to a slower speed than the cars, letting the cars be faster as they would be irl, Since there going for realism.

^^agree, many accidents are caused by people driving too fast in cars and lorries and not being able to react quick enough or have the required skill level to rectify themselves if things go bad. the speed limit is awesome imo and want it to stay, 93 mph is plenty fast enough in both car and for certain a lorry which i think should be forced to have the limiter on at all times.

OLD SCHOOL VETERAN

RESIGNED IN GAME ADMIN

TMP ID 25

19 minutes ago, Joao Rodrigues said:

For a safe overtaking manoeuvre, following simple rules should be taken into consideration:

• Overtaking is only allowed if one can ensure that no other road user is jeopardized during the entire overtaking process.
  • Overtaking is not allowed if prohibited by traffic signs or in-game rules or if the traffic situation is not clear.
  • Also do not overtake in crossroads, at pedestrian crossings or railway crossings.
  • Who is overtaken must not increase ones speed.
  • Always observe, signal, manoeuvre.

Drive safely!

what you have stated here clearly dont work irl and in game as i shall point out below:

• Also do not overtake in crossroads, at pedestrian crossings or railway crossings.= DISAGREE WITH THIS AS MANY CROSSROADS IN GAME ARE DEAD JUNCTIONS AND PEDESTRIANS CROSSINGS DONT MATTER AS NO AI PEOPLE INGAME.
  • Who is overtaken must not increase ones speed.= COMPLETELY DISAGREE AS IRL AND INGAME MOST PEOPLE OVERTAKE WHEN YOU ARE ACCELERATING EITHER UPHILL OR SIMULAR SITUATION WHERE YOU ARE ACCERATING ANYWAY SO NO WAY IS ANYONE GOING TO STOP ACCELERATING TO ALLOW ANOTHER VEHICLE TO PASS EASIER.
  • Always observe, signal, manoeuvre.= IN THIS GAME MOST PEOPLE ARE LIKE BMW DRIVERS AND INDICATORS ARE A NON FITTED EXTRA LOL

3 minutes ago, Lego181 said:

If you remember the early days of mp then you know at one time there was a hard cap limit set to 95kmh (56mph) on all servers at all times

i remeber since day one mate been with mp for very long time with tmpid of 25 i have seen many changes and i miss the capped 56 mph speed for trucks. overtaking procedures took time and planning and the server was much safer. maybe they should force 56mph on lorries and 70 mph on cars

OLD SCHOOL VETERAN

RESIGNED IN GAME ADMIN

TMP ID 25

3 hours ago, claxme said:

I think we should make this tool realistically as possible, the speed limit is a great step to make the game better and I hope it decreases further, no truck in real life should be doing over 70mph anyway, it is very dangerous. The speed limit might not solve everything, and of course, the team know this but this helps reduce reckless driving, the disadvantage for trolls and fewer reports. The only way we are going to solve all the issues here is to vet individual driver, and that will not happen, it's impossible when we have 2 million users on the platform.

Re your point on cars being useless, they were never in the original game and this is an add-on, so we are very lucky to still have them. If you use the car as a speeding tool to go to remote locations, I assume you were driving at speeds that cause havoc to other road users and that probably explains your bans. You are a prime example why the rule works well, clamps down on reckless driving! Just giving my opinion since you have posted in the discussion forum. 

Exactly, I think the limiter not only makes this simulation game "more realistic" but alsos safer! Scout's are the only ones to really worry about, most trucks top out at 96 so we know the limiter is aimed at the scouts (which reach about 130mph)

I thought the 150 kph limit would be fine with limiting excessive car speeds while still giving more than enough difference to allow quick passing of speed limit following traffic, even on currently unavailable 120 kph limit Russian roads.  Sure, it doesn't solve EU2's aggressive driver problem but it certainly could had stopped some dangerous situations.

Independent driver

On 8/28/2018 at 2:16 PM, caff!!! said:

to quote Revolver Ocelot: I love to reload shift gears during a battle delivery.

45 minutes ago, caff!!! said:

I thought the 150 kph limit would be fine with limiting excessive car speeds while still giving more than enough difference to allow quick passing of speed limit following traffic, even on currently unavailable 120 kph limit Russian roads.  Sure, it doesn't solve EU2's aggressive driver problem but it certainly could had stopped some dangerous situations.

I don't really think that the current speed limit will solve any issues in the D-C Road aswell. If anything, it will kill high speed driving in remote locations, especially the dlc highways. Cause the vanilla game and the going East highways are not built for 200 km/h but driving in the freeways of Scandinavia with a scout car is so much fun. You can achieve highspeeds (maybe 240 km/h) and still control the car.

This is why TruckersMP  must leave the speed limiter in all servers, idiots like this guy fucks the trucking experience  ,  and you bann me for save edit aan Ats trailer ha ha ha.                     

11 hours ago, SIRIO* said:

This is why TruckersMP  must leave the speed limiter in all servers, idiots like this guy fucks the trucking experience  ,  and you bann me for save edit aan Ats trailer ha ha ha.                     

This guy is a douchebag. But since every accident he cause happened between 0-120 km/h i don't see how the speed limit solves the problem. This guy just needs a permanent ban

Just limit us back down to 90 and we are good.

You said "i like trucking at high speeds", I didn't even know this exists, for me there is normal driving  max +10km/h above speed limit and racing. So what you are saying is that you actually like racing with trucks, now my question is why you dont go race with trucks in any GTA game, big maps, many other vehicles to put in danger,  as a result of your driving and you can even do off-road trucking in some GTA games (tried in GTA V and San Andreas,  it rules). You can also make so really brutal crashes in GTA IV, it's always fun when Niko Belic flies out of the vehicle and gets injured or killed, we've all done that.

Now if you don't want that you can play any Need For Speed game, or if you want simulation you can try Assetto Corsa or Project Cars 2.

I kinda am being a douche here, so are all of you who drive like nuts and ruining the simulator experince for people like me.

11 minutes ago, antrax737 said:

Just limit us back down to 90 and we are good.

You said "i like trucking at high speeds", I didn't even know this exists, for me there is normal driving  max +10km/h above speed limit and racing. So what you are saying is that you actually like racing with trucks, now my question is why you dont go race with trucks in any GTA game, big maps, many other vehicles to put in danger,  as a result of your driving and you can even do off-road trucking in some GTA games (tried in GTA V and San Andreas,  it rules). You can also make so really brutal crashes in GTA IV, it's always fun when Niko Belic flies out of the vehicle and gets injured or killed, we've all done that.

Now if you don't want that you can play any Need For Speed game, or if you want simulation you can try Assetto Corsa or Project Cars 2.

I kinda am being a douche here, so are all of you who drive like nuts and ruining the simulator experince for people like me.

Just because you don't enjoy driving in high speeds doesn't mean that there are no players out there who like doing so. The speed limit rule brought a new level of boredom to every other place in the map except the C-D road. To reach most places in the map you drive in isolated highways. If you like driving 90 km/h in an empty road for 30 minutes then good for you. But for me, i like reaching my truck's top speed and drive to the limit to deliver my cargos especially when i go to isolated places where there are 10 players in a 1000 km radius

30 minutes ago, BanneD_ said:

Just because you don't enjoy driving in high speeds doesn't mean that there are no players out there who like doing so. The speed limit rule brought a new level of boredom to every other place in the map except the C-D road. To reach most places in the map you drive in isolated highways. If you like driving 90 km/h in an empty road for 30 minutes then good for you. But for me, i like reaching my truck's top speed and drive to the limit to deliver my cargos especially when i go to isolated places where there are 10 players in a 1000 km radius

Would you agree then that the limiter benefits densely populated areas and negatively effects non-densely populated areas?

Perhaps suggest a speed limiter which takes effect if you are actually near a certain number of players? After all, this does accomplish the original function of protecting other players from speed.

909352999_role_RetiredTeamMember.png.778

1753152791_role_ReportModerator.png.19771713344466_role_GameModerator.png.6d5d141071312553_role_GameModeratorLeader.png.927432954_role_HumanResources.png.9c8e45

5 minutes ago, Terry A said:

Would you agree then that the limiter benefits densely populated areas and negatively effects non-densely populated areas?

Perhaps suggest a speed limiter which takes effect if you are actually near a certain number of players? After all, this does accomplish the original function of protecting other players from speed.

Yes i agree. I think that the speed limit should exist in the vanilla map and be excluded from the dlc maps. 

Archived