Experiencing kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

Do you drive without GPS?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I Mean, some real life drivers do drive without a sat nav, like my dad, but he's been in the profession for so long he knows where he's going and that i find would be additional if you wanna know where you're going. 

Thank you for all the replies!:)

On 28-2-2018 at 12:11 AM, Syntackz said:

Driving without any GPS assistance which would make it very hard, perhaps frustrating and some times we may even lost the route. Its really challenging to drive from A to B . It takes lot of time but this way of driving is really enjoyable and this is how everyone drives in real life by looking at road signs. I will try to make some deliveries when i have lot of free time. To be honest sometimes real GPS it cannot be trusted - it may send you over the long route when the motorway is much faster.:D. If just set your GPS and go straight from A to B. More efficient sure, but not as much fun.  :)

You're right, in real life, most people navigate using road signs in their own country. I have my driving licence for a year now and I almost never drive with navigation assistance unless I'm abroad or the route is difficult to remember. I believe navigation makes you a bit lazy sometimes. If you remember the route you don't have to use your navigation the next time.;)

On 28-2-2018 at 2:28 AM, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

I don't see the point, honestly. These days, you don't even need an integrated navigation system in your vehicle, you can have one in your smartphone. It can be more challenging to not use one, but doing this when you don't know the exact route, exits, turns, etc. is in fact unrealistic. Because currently, like I said, almost every driver has access to a GPS navigation system. And truck drivers, who may work all around the continent, going to places they don't know, will most surely use it.

Correct, most drivers have access to a GPS navigation system but my experience is that it doesn't always show you the best route. It's useful to study the road before you start driving to know where to go when your navigation fails for example. Also, for truckers time is money (and so is gas), so finding the quickest route is important. Some GPS devices can even automatically avoid bad traffic via intelligent route-planning that’s designed to find the shortest travel time instead of the shortest physical route.

UsDxWIH.png

Back in the days ( I know, that sounds aged), travel was more an adventure that it is today, because neither GPS nor smartphones were available to the public.
I remember that I used areal maps or a road atlas (all on paper, mind you), depending on the destination and route length.
The difference to nowadays navigation I think is simply that noone needs to memorize any specific landmarks anymore, because the friendly voice of the GPS will show and tell when and where to turn.

I don't but I would if I could do same route again and again. But how can you suggest C-D route for example if jobs are randomized.

----------------

That said how cool would be in ETS3 to start in local town doing short deliveries street to street or perhaps town to town and yeah you

could physically open a map or a book and make notes and memorize routes. GPS would still be locked at low level. Now that would

be something I could get behind.

Way more fun when you drive without a GPS especially on a road you have been before. Your brain literally requires you to memorize the road. And if you go on the wrong side it's still fun just laugh it out and figure out where to make a U turn and then realize you went the wrong way again and do the same until you reach your destination. :troll: remember follow the signs!

Yes I agree with you. I turn off the GPS, and I find a way to go according to the signs on the road.^_^

There's only one bad thing that's more fun and realistic, and if you forget the way, you can go to different cities. :D

RequieB

Game Moderator of the Year 2018 

Archived