Do you drive without GPS?

Not all trucks in-game have built-in GPS navigation. Renaults for example, have no GPS. Recently, I started driving without using GPS (F5 disabled and no built-in navigation). Before I start a job, I check the route and then I disable the GPS map. I try to guide myself using the road signs and with my knowledge of topography. In my opinion driving this way is more realistic and also fun to do.

I wonder if anyone else drives without GPS and do you also think it's more realistic? I would love to hear your opinion, thanks!:)

UsDxWIH.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At one point I were driving without any GPS including no GPS in the cabin. It's interesting and gives an extra challenge to navigate. I go all the way realism with my Logitech G27 and TrackIR 5 to help out with that o/

To add: It does not really make it more realistic to not have GPS activated as most real life truck drivers I know use GPS and sometimes it being mandatory.

The Bot That Never Sleeps

If you see a forum post that might be breaking the rules, report it.

+Rules+How to become GM+Frequently Suggested Things+Feedback+

+FaceTrackNoIR+

Did your post instantly get Forum Moderator by me? No need to be afraid, they are doing their job.

Some moths ago I tried that, yes. I thought „Hey, I know the map like my pocket, I don’t need a GPS.“ Well, I turned wrong several times and it was alsways a bit late when I noticed it and... yeah, it became kind of annoying. Sometime I started using it again. But as I said this was a long time ago and I believe that today I could handle the situation without a GPS better than I used to. 

Maybe I stop using it again... 

Driving without any GPS assistance which would make it very hard, perhaps frustrating and some times we may even lost the route. Its really challenging to drive from A to B . It takes lot of time but this way of driving is really enjoyable and this is how everyone drives in real life by looking at road signs. I will try to make some deliveries when i have lot of free time. To be honest sometimes real GPS it cannot be trusted - it may send you over the long route when the motorway is much faster.:D. If just set your GPS and go straight from A to B. More efficient sure, but not as much fun.  :)

UxiKSFa.png

I don't see the point, honestly. These days, you don't even need an integrated navigation system in your vehicle, you can have one in your smartphone. It can be more challenging to not use one, but doing this when you don't know the exact route, exits, turns, etc. is in fact unrealistic. Because currently, like I said, almost every driver has access to a GPS navigation system. And truck drivers, who may work all around the continent, going to places they don't know, will most surely use it.

One way is to study the cities you go past, that way if the route is longer you can go towards those cities to discover the signs for your destination.

I always use. If I play without the gps, I'll get lost in a moment.:D^_^
But when it comes to online mode (ETS2MP), it's a very handy option. I need to be aware of who comes after me or someone coming from the front. So, I'll be cautious and be prepared for any action from an accident or road break.

>  Raaphael   <   

Veteran Driver VII

?   ?  ? ? ?   ?

I usually have only my built in GPS on and no large GPS but I barely pay attention to it because it's fun trying to navigate yourself to the destination.

I tried it once. In a short distance only tho. It would be kinda "easy" if you can imagine the map and know where is each city, but it is hard to remember every city specially if you are going for a very long distance. I am interested into doing it again with myself, but I am not even European, Memorizing cities names is total another problem for me. I only know most of the cities in the west side of EU, the east, not really unfortunately :( 

No, I never tried driving without GPS. At least I don't turned it off. Nevertheless, if I need to go e.g. to Berlin I am looking at the signs and I am following them instead of the GPS.

Archived