Sign in to follow this  
NeonLeon

Flashes and signals: The language of the road

In road traffic, there are many ways to communicate with the other drivers. For example, if the other driver gives you the lead in the turn or waits patiently for you to step out of a tight space. To show their appreciation, some drivers prefer to use to flashlight in return. 

For many situations signs have become common

Not only in situations like These have various gestures become established - even internationally. If running at an intersection or overtaking: For many situations on the road, an unofficial sign language has emerged over the years. 

Because of this, drivers give in different situations light, horn or other signals to give other road users an assistance. 

Especially truck drivers agree on flashing lights

Here are some of the general signs:

Short signal to the right

= No traffic at the front or I don't want to drive faster  (You can overtake now)

Short flashing light between truck drivers

Your distance to my truck is long enough and you can break in again

Reason: That the following traffic doesn't have to drive slow, so the rear driver gives the overtaking truck an indication that the overtaking truck can change the lane again.

The overtaking process is accelerated. The overtaking truck driver have to trust the other one that the distance is long enough. In the dark he can't see his tail.. and would normally have to stay in the fast lane much longer until he can see the headlights or the complete vehicle of the remanufactured in the mirrors. 

This light signal is therefore a helpful hint for all long vehicles and helps to keep the traffic smooth. 

Changing left/right turn Signal (or short flashing of the warning lights)

Thank you 

When overtaking you see a vehicle at the front flashing left

Danger!!!There comes oncoming traffic from the front

Reason: 

There are situation that the overtaking truck can't see... but the driver in the column.

The sudden left blinker doesn't want to pull out, just to draw attention on the danger. His only way to give a sign you can see. In such a case you should always look for a gap and pay attention to what is going on ahead. In an emergency, you can "disappear" in the gap fast and avoid an accident. 

For the drivers in the convoy it also means: leave a gap

Short light from a following vehicle in the fast lane or the left turn signal

Please finish the overtaking process. I want to pass

Both are a permissible way to show the intention of overtaking.... as long as the safety distance is maintained and it is only a one-time character. 

Continuous flashing light or closer driving is a punishable coercion in real life. 

Flashing light from oncoming traffic

Attention!!! Danger/accident on the road 

You should drive along carefully and be able to slow down because there could be a triffic jam/ accident behind a bend... and therefore drive on the right and be able to slow down. 

Flashing lights many times often indicate a big danger.

On the Highway, this could be a wrong way Driver / ghost Driver. The drivers try to warn in time of danger they have just happened or seen. 

Flashing light in the dark

Your headlights are activated and I can't see something

And of course you always say "Thank you" if you got help

Sometimes a little visual conversation arises. 

Thank you = Left and right signal or a short flashing of the warning lights if the helper drives behind you. 

No Problem = Short flashing from behind

If you know other signals, you can post them below

Leon :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 6
  • True Story 3

Guest Tedd_

This is really useful on the road, but few people use it because they do not know their job, thanks for the topic and the information.

Always saying thank you is a must! Most the time I'll flash my lights at oncoming trucks shortly to say hi too, if I hold them down with horn thats usually my way of saying "you've done something wrong"!

Guest [VIVA] Ali

What a great guide, thank you!

I love this guide, I just wish more people bothered to use this type of communication with lights. 

Lights seem to have become just another way for people to distract one another. I'll never understand why people attempt to justify driving recklessly by having 20 beacons and hazards flashing. 

We approach desensitization when this happens. If everyone drives with all of their warning lights enabled, I start to disassociate them with danger or a need to pay more attention. 

TL;DR Proper usage of lights is important, if we don't do so, they become useless. 

i as a german use my hazardlights to say sorry if i cut someone off too. thank you is always only right left right (in uk left right left). :)

using highbeams and horn(s) togeter of course is for complaining to an other driver or to tell him that what he did was dangerous and wrong. :D

I use it like
Flash once /max. twice/ my lights to the oncoming traffic -  More often like "GreetingZ"  or "Hello & GL"   

If there is any danger, crash or traffic jam for the oncoming traffic, then i'll probably  flash my lights faster several times & use horn to warn them.

For saying "Thank you!" when I overtake someone I simply use Hazard lights /if i'm in-front of him/ and 2 short horn signals if he's in-front of me. - this is like in real life too.

I always use this type of language, but lots of people don't understand why I'm doing it. But now they can learn what I actually mean. ;) Thanks

This is actually a very useful guide. I've previously had people in chat saying "What are you flashing for?" and I'm like "It's to indicate x" so hopefully people will find this thread as well.

I mostly use the flashing hazards to say thanks or flashing headlights to say there's a good gap in front so overtakers can fit in. Another good one is flashing hazards while braking, this indicates a sudden drop in speed ahead so the person behind can brake in time before they crash :P

Edited by heyhococo
  • Like 1

Guest KIKI

Glad you posted this, I tend to follow these and people are wondering why I am flashing. Also, if you are letting the person overtake, I always use my right signal to let them know they can pass on single roads.