Virtual (E/A)TS-MP Truck driving license

Aopin

Suggestion Name: Virtual Truck Driving License (VMTL)

Suggestion Description: Wouldn't it be nice to have players that took a basic traffic exam/test before they started playing on the servers? I think so. Don't worry, I am not suggesting to make it obligated to take it successfully in order to play. 

How does one get hold of an (E/A)TS-MP Truck Driving License or "VMTL: Virtual Multiplayer Truckers License"

First of all, new players registering get an option to take the VMTL Driving License test right after making a new account. Existing players will get a notification,  button, or a link in the forum to take the test as well. Players in game will get a small Green VMTL sign/logo, indicating to other players that this player has sufficient traffic knowledge to be a safe trucker on the roads. Players that have not taken, or did not pass, the test will get a Danger symbol or a Red VMTL sign/logo.

Losing the VMTL sign:
It would also be possible to lose your VMTL when:

- An admin manually removes it if they think that would be appropriate.

- You get banned.

When a player wants the license back, all they have to do is wait for a (Day/Week/Month) before being allowed to retake the test.

Basic uses of the VMTL system:

The signs indicate to admins and other players that this driver does, or might not possess sufficient knowledge of basic traffic rules. This way players can be extra cautious and admins can easily see who to pay more attention too in crowded situations. 

Possible other uses:
- Calais-Duisburg is obviously overcrowded and full of inexperienced and or bad truckers (as well as good ones that suffer from this, don't get me wrong). What if, to enter this road, you need to have your VMTL. This way new players, and players that do not know basic traffic rules, can't enter this dangerous situation. This might make it a lot safer, and with that, in my opinion, more fun to drive. I personally avoid this route when driving in an MP server because of the dangers of driving there.

- Higher Penalties: When players have their VMTL it means they have basic traffic knowledge. Now, of course, this doesn't mean they can't get into accidents. Especially when encountering a player that is unfamiliar with the traffic rules. It would be possible to encourage players to learn the rules, and with that, possibly drive safer if they got higher penalties when not having their VMTL.

- Speed restrictions of 90km/h (or 60mph) for players that do not have a VMTL.

What would a hypothetical exam/test look like:
- Questions on basic traffic signs that are found in the game like the yield and stop sign. 

- Questions on basic road markings. Like for example: "Are you allowed, and is it safe to overtake the truck in front of you in this situation?"

- Other questions like:

- "The traffic lights are off, who is allowed to go first in this 4-way crossing?"

- "Is it safe to take a left in this situation?"

- "Are you supposed to go first, or are you supposed to yield?"

Example Images: None
Why should it be added: I think it became clear why it should be added in the description paragraph... In short though: It would make driving in general safer, possibly give admins an easier job, and save players from breaking their keyboard's F7 button...

Just to avoid confusion:

The test would obviously not be obligated unless the developers think that would be better of course. It would still be possible for all players to join, it would only mark some of them as a possible hazard and might restrict certain areas. Don't get me wrong, this is not to annoy players, or because I think people who don't know the traffic rules shouldn't be allowed to play. It's just to make the game more playable for everyone. After all, I do not own a (car) drivers license in real life either because I haven't even done my theoretical exam yet. This, of course, doesn't mean that I don't know what I am supposed to do at the "Upside down white triangle with a red border" ;).

By the way, of course, if something like this were to be implemented, it will need a few changes. Please let me know what could be better/improved, and what do you think of this.

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...

Having that would put normal user above each other if they have such a license. Those who do not have one will want that as well and we end up having many people applying for that. The report and feedback loads are quite high already, having to deal with that additionally is not possible. 

Rejected.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.