Custom skin's in MP

+1

It's a good idea, and I think it won't cause any game crashes. Same with the Schwarzmuller DLC, not everyone has that DLC, so anyone without it will see Schwarzmuller trailers as a red trailer with "no texture" written on it. And by the way, it not being accessible for everyone is kind of the point. That way someone would join a vtc quicker.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if that's such a great idea...

How would you want to implement those skins? As mods?

I wouldn't want to download 900 Skins to my Hard Drive, just to see other players drive around with those VTC Skins.

And how would you regulate this? When is a VTC big enough, that it deserves an own Skin in TMP?

I'm not really interested, it depends on the implementation because I wouldn't like to update my Client every day to download 2 new Skins of some random VTC I never heard of.

You could make some sort of Local Solution, so every VTC Member should download the required resources, so ONLY THE VTC MEMBERS (who have installed the skins) can see those.

greetings, Nexus.

@NexusDE A local solution would be possible if TruckersMP allowed users to use mods on their servers however due to obvious reasons like potential server attacks etc using malicious mods that possibility will never be open.

The only logical way in my opinion to implement such a system without having what you describe as "900 skins" would be a form of repository where users can choose which skins they wish to download.

Thus meaning any skins that they haven't downloaded will just be replaced with a placeholder or default trailer/truck textures.

1 hour ago, Rev. said:

@NexusDE A local solution would be possible if TruckersMP allowed users to use mods on their servers however due to obvious reasons like potential server attacks etc using malicious mods that possibility will never be open.

The only logical way in my opinion to implement such a system without having what you describe as "900 skins" would be a form of repository where users can choose which skins they wish to download.

Thus meaning any skins that they haven't downloaded will just be replaced with a placeholder or default trailer/truck textures.

Exactly, but what's the point then? Because those Skins are there to distinguish the VTC's, so if everybody except for the VTC Members is unable to see the Skin, that "attention" and "uniqueness" isn't given since for every other player the Truck just looks like every other one.

I understand, why people want to be unique in TMP, I'm driving Hybrid Trucks myself, to be unique.

That local Solution I mentioned was meant to be clientside, exactly what you wrote at the end of your comment. But TruckersMP shouldn't host Servers for this purpose, it's the VTC's Job to host those Mods. TruckersMP would just have to find a solution to display those Mods, the easiest solution, in my opinion, is following:

- Add a Placeholder for the VTC-Paintjob, which is a default texture unless changed.

- Now players can replace the Placeholder with any Skin of their desire, so basically a Local mod only they can see.

- VTC's offer those Skins to replace the Placeholders on their Website/Steam group

This would offer security to TMP, since there is NO 3RD PARTY STUFF on their Servers.

But this has one Downside, unless there are multiple Placeholders, you would get other Players with your VTC Trailer, since everyone is allowed to tow that placeholder trailer, it's just displayed as your VTC Trailer to YOU.

Would this miss the point? Yes, absolutely. (in my opinion)

But this would maybe allow for more in-depth local Modifications if we're already at making Local Skins, why can't we change our Steering wheels as well? Why don't we just mod in Trucks we like into the game?

If this gets implemented, we need to restrict those Local Modifications to Paintjobs ONLY!

Edit: Maybe we should just make a 3rd Party solution to this, and not involve TruckersMP into this at all? I can't imagine, that anything else than a client-side only solution would be appropriate. And in this case we could make stuff for ourselves, you could theoretically already do this, by just replacing client-side game files.

(Very superficial) Just replace a normal Trailer's Paintjob with your own and get it (somehow) into Multiplayer. Theoretically, there would be no need for TMP to involve into this. (It's not as easy as that, because my guess is, that the game would detect modified game-files and crash, and implementing just a path somewhere won't work in Multiplayer since Local Mods are disabled, there we go with my suggested solution again.)

I agree with this idea, as the skins would be used to distinguish VTC's but will not be abused by normal players who could use inappropriate skins.  

There are too many VTC's starting to look to similar as there are not enough skins in the base game for the new VTC's that are being founded.  

• 3 weeks later...
Guest GЯΞУHOUИD

Good idea, but it will not be easy to use. and may result in disapproval.

Best regards;

AquaCloud

+1 From me, I don't see how it'd be unequal treatment to players, especially if theres a limit of 1 per VTC. If people don't join a VTC, then I don't see why they would want a company skin anyways. There could also be a file size limit on the paintjobs, making sure the truckersmp download doesnt get insanely big. Also, for anyone that beleives it would make the game download take too long, it really wouldnt, I have multiple games which take up over 50GB in space, all in temporary files and mods which are updated frequently. We are still in MB with truckersmp, and adding a good few VTC paintjobs wouldnt hurt anybody. Also, to prevent other people from using their paintjobs and to prevent them from flooding the paintjob area in the service, they can just have it set up so the only way to get the paintjob is a save edit, using the files that truckersmp would provide. Everyone will have the files, the download wont be much longer, and nobody should have any issues.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised nobody has mention this... Custom paint jobs use PNG which is normally used by people who want to infect your computer. Now take this for example a dev gets sent hundreds of these files and his computer doesn't pick any of the viruses up now hes putting it in the next patch making thousands if not more infected with a virus so I would rather pass as its too much of a risk. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 01.02.2018 at 3:29 AM, megadethsteve666 said:

^also, unless the custom skins are available for every player, chances are you’ll cause peoples game to crash because it’s an unknown file that may not be in everyone’s game so it causes the game to think it’s a fatal error and terminate the program. 

So unless every custom skin skin is added to the TMP directory within launch, it’s not going to work. 

Plus, you have to be aware of poly count and such things, if a texture is high res, high poly, anyone with any sort of mid to low spec pc will just lag like crap around anyone with that texture.

all in all, it’s a lot of work for something cosmetic that doesn’t really make a difference. To me, being in a VTC is more of a chore than anything fun and exciting and to only be rewarded with a texture for your trucks? Isn’t really worth slaving away for a “company”, freelance is more fun and less complicated and is a larger majority than VTCs.

I agree with you mate, it can be problem for everyone. It can give crash etc.

Downvote

76561198178929243.png

Full-Stack Web Developer

Uploading all VTC' s skins could be some problem as above talked. There are lots of players are using low-system computer. This could be lag for other players. Also TruckersMP server cannot support all these skins.

Its a really great idea +1 mate but doubt we will have this feature as much as we would love to plus similar topic's/suggestion's about this Skin Thing has bin brought up before and is bin rejected whether its a VTC or a Person just want it to be added for personal use it doesn't really seem to make a difference however they did allowed a way for us to use Skins in MP with One fault only the user of the skin can see the skin only on mp not complaining one of the best things they have done so far thanks to @Forerunner and I'm glad to be able to do something like this. however to be able to have a feature like this could be a possibility someday when we use our Skin on Mp it will be visible to other players  :mlg_doge:

TMP HISTORYᴘʀᴏғɪʟᴇ                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

ᴠᴇᴛᴇʀᴀɴ VI                                  

Driver Since 10 Apr 2015    

Gets a -1 from me. It has literally no use but to clog up downloads. I personally think that it's not worth it, let's say there is 500 megabytes of skins, you would have to download it and keep it in your computer, which takes up space. But the thing is, you're probably not gonna see these companies a lot unless you're a part of it. I mean, I have around 100 hours and never seen a company convoy once in my life.

• 3 weeks later...

Many players have put obstacles to this suggestion, but they have not found a solution.

What could be done?

1. Partnership with the trucksbook.eu, the 50 or 100 best VTC would have the right to have their own paintings in the game. Where they would be added in some way in the TruckersMP launcher.

• The VTC rank would be controlled by trucksbook.eu (it would use what already exists)
  • The person responsible for releasing the use of VTC paint would be the owner himself.
  • This control to release access to paint and remove access could be done by the TruckersMP website or the trucksbook.eu website.

2. Partnership with trucksbook.eu, VTCs must have a minimum number of players to be entitled to use of the company's painting in the game.

• The minimum number of members of a VTC can be 10.20 or 30. The players would choose.
  • The VTCs should be active, aiming to reach 50,000km per month. To be a VTC considered to be active.

3. In this last suggestion there would be no partnership, the VTCs who want to have paintings inside the game. They will have to pay an amount that will be set by the TruckersMP team to cover the expense with the server for storing the images / paintings.

Examples:

• Basic Painting: the value of $ 5 per month will be paid by the owner of the VTC. To be entitled to use a simple painting. That can have 3 colors. Paint just for the truck.

• Intermediate paint: the value of $ 7 per month will be paid by the owner of the VTC. To be entitled to use a painting that contains up to 6 different colors. Paint available for truck and trailer.

• Advanced painting: the value of $ 15 per month will be paid by the owner of the VTC.To have the right to use a painting with no limit of colors. Paint available for truck and trailer.
  • The control of who would have access to the painting, would be done by the site of TruckersMP. Where access would be released or denied by the owner of the VTC.

Remembering that all paintings will have to follow standards set by the TruckersMP team. Even paying, the painting may be denied and will have to be redone.

:excl:Attention: All that I have said above, were only suggestions that can be shaped according to what they think best.

I apologize for my poor English. I used Google Translate. :rolleyes:

I think that the correct way to implement this, it's a system where every VTC uploads his SCS. File where ONLY the paint job is. So every day the game does a "mini update" where downloads the new files ( the paint jobs are very light files). This can give some problems, like spamming paint jobs that never gonna be used. After all, it's a difficult system to developer but I think it's a great idea.

i think it's a good idea, apart from that i would suggest a subscription system for VTCs.

why not make some money with truckersmp, on a "you don't need to pay to play, but you get your own VTC paintjob if you do" basis. i.e. 10€/10 driver slots per year or whatever you can think of.

this money could then be used to upgrade servers/connection or anything needed to develop truckersmp further (and other improvements).

have each VTC have a required "spokesperson" who ensures that all drivers are driving safe and abide by the rules, if not they're kicked from the VTC.

all paints obviously need to be reviewed (to avoid the swastikas and handdrawn penises :D) and have certain requirements (i.e. resolution, "a realistic look", no country flags or "patriotic" slogans etc.)

the biggest problem is the "too many VTCs" thing, but i'm sure there will be solutions to that...