What type of server are the Ets2 Multiplayer Servers running on?

Hello,

Are the servers running / is the TruckersMP server running on a root server? If so, does the server have a video card? I'm looking for a hoster who leases graphics card servers.

Regards,

felixggru

1 hour ago, El1teZombiezHD said:

TruckersMP servers have high CPU power, they don't have video cards due to them not needing to render the game.

Hello,

thank you so much for your answer! For example if I would Play any game like Ets2 on server I would not need GPU server? A normal server with a higher CPU is enough to play?

Best regards,

felixggru

It varies from server to server, but a few general notes:

• The servers have strong CPU cores.
    • The server depends on single core performance.
  • The servers also tend to have a large amount of RAM, but only use a part of it. This is because servers with a strong CPU tend to have a lot of RAM included.

None of the game servers are hosted by 10gbps, unlike what someone suggested above.

If you want to play the game itself on a server machine you would need something very different, as our servers do different work from the game itself. You would most likely need a server with a GPU.

HumaneWolf - Website - Twitter - GitHub

Ex-Developer

3 hours ago, [AC] #felixggru said:

Hello,

thank you so much for your answer! For example if I would Play any game like Ets2 on server I would not need GPU server? A normal server with a higher CPU is enough to play?

Best regards,

felixggru

If you were to play a game on an actual server you'd need a dedicated GPU, such as OVH do sell or Hetzner have some dedicated servers with Geforce 1080's GPU's inbuilt. Otherwise the inbuilt chipset would have a heart attack. 

You could check out these, obviously if you're leasing/renting a GPU it's not cheap but have had a good experience in the past: https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ex51-ssd-gpu

As others have mentioned, the servers themselves don't actually need GPU's as they don't 'play the game' as it were. They basically run an application, I presume some form of command-type operation depending on the operating system. The servers themselves I have no doubt sit within OVH's infrastructure due to the VAC Distributed-Denial-Of-Service (DDoS) protection system that OVH deploy by routing packets through a very-clever network configuration to ensure that only 'true/real traffic' gets through and drops the nasties. The connection to these machines is likely to be 1Gbps as a 10Gbps link (dedicated or fair-share) is fairly costly and due to the amount of servers TMP have I'd highly doubt it. No idea what CPU but E3 tends to have a higher clock-rate per core than E5 but E5's have a higher amount of overall cores/threads.

P.S. This reply is based on my own experience in an environment similar, this may not be 100% accurate for TMP.

Edited by MaffewE

Kind regards,

Matthew

^ The servers don't actually run the game, they just run the information needed to connect and see other users.

If you are requiring a dedicated GPU on your server, you can go to OVH, GoDaddy or other suppliers, unfortunately this is quite expensive but it really depends on what you are going to use it for. 

Kind Regards,

El1teZombiezHD

[TruckersMP Retired Team Member (Ex-Game Moderator)]

If you are replying to me, please @mention me (@El1teZombiezHD ) or quote my message otherwise I may not respond

4 hours ago, HumaneWolf said:

It varies from server to server, but a few general notes:

• The servers have strong CPU cores.
    • The server depends on single core performance.
  • The servers also tend to have a large amount of RAM, but only use a part of it. This is because servers with a strong CPU tend to have a lot of RAM included.

None of the game servers are hosted by 10gbps, unlike what someone suggested above.

If you want to play the game itself on a server machine you would need something very different, as our servers do different work from the game itself. You would most likely need a server with a GPU.

I didn't say by 10gbps but with 10gbps internet bandwidth ;) .

• 6 months later...
On 7/12/2018 at 3:46 PM, BrXEiZ said:

Does servers contain SSD disks?

I think servers in France by OVH SAS.

While it's probably likely (high end servers mostly use SSD's), it could be entirely possible (and possibly cheaper) to run just a few hard drives to store user data. I'd assume most of the data needed in-game is stored in RAM since it's gets accessed so often and changes so quickly. 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.