Connecting to Europe Servers from the US

nielwulf

How does the game play when dealing with lag? I ask because I'm in the US and want to play MP but it looks as if my American brethren aren't as into trucking as Europeans are.

Does MP become unplayable after a certain ping number is reached? I want to be able to see others on the road, but at the same time I don't want to be a hazard because I'm rubber banding all over the place.

2 hours ago, [LKW Tr.] Akoa said:

Hello @nielwulf

Playing from the US you should have around 300-400 ping. The server kicks you if you have an average of 600 ms of ping so you can play. But I recommend you to put something in your tag like LAG KEEP DISTANCE or something like that so people know that you are lagged and they should stay away from you.

Hope to be useful, bye

This is incorrect. I live in the central US and I get between 140 and 170 ping to the EU servers. You don't need to worry about lag or ping issues. As long as you have a stable connection and don't drop any packets, you will be fine.

5ekjGCj.png

Intel i7 7700k│ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero│G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 16GB 3000MHz │EVGA GTX 1080 FTW│EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2│Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe M.2/Samsung 850 EVO 500GB│Corsair H100i v2│Corsair iCUE 465x RGB

Audio Technica AD700's│Beyerdymanic DT770's 80Ω│Corsair Strafe RGB Blues│Logitech G502 Spectrum│Alienware AW3420DW

I see people from South America with 300 ping to the EU servers, I don't know if it's because their connection or because US is closer than South America

EDIT: It seems like South america is further from the EU servers, look at this map. So now I agree with @JeffSFC because US is not as far as South america.

Here you have a map just to check it 

world-political-map-with-countries.jpg

I'd discard the suggestion about using a VPN to connect as a means to reduce the ping, because it won't work. Ping times depend almost exclusively on the distance from your machine to the server, that's why East Coast will have lower times than West Coast. Also, 300-400 ms is wrong for USA regular ping times, like others have said you can get 100-120 ms from the East Coast to the EU servers, keep in mind that most marine cable providers connect between the East Coast and Western Europe, mainly the UK and France, some in Portugal or Southern Spain, you can see a map here: https://www.submarinecablemap.com/ It's easy to spot that most trans-Atlantic communications go via New York Area to France and the UK, South American people will most likely use the Columbus cable, going up from Brazil, Argentina, etc. to Florida and from here, to Cadiz (Spain). And even with all those links, latency can vary as much as 30-40 ms, because each cable follows a different path under the sea.

All of this being said, you should see no problems when connecting to EU servers from the USA. Sure, your ping will be higher than mine (I'm in spain), but I see lots of players in the servers with ping times over 300 ms and they are usually no problem at all, some may lag, but I've seen players lagging like hell and rubber-banding with 50 ms ping time, so... Jitter plays an important role when playing online, check for it if you want, but all in a nutshell, ping would be the average time from A to B, jitter would be the ping variation over time. Good ping but lots of jitter = Bad news. 200 ms ping but steady = No problems.

I connect from east coast Canada with an avg of 140ms and on Wifi but 95% of the time I do not lag or notice any other players lagging unless they are lagging themselves or the rare times something is bugged in my connection so as long as you have decent speed and a good method of connection to make up for the distance from the server it will (probably) work fine. I am going to guess on that map above my connection goes through GTT Express to UK then through another cable down to France and to the server, the 3 hours of land before the GTT cable  in North America probably give an extra 50ms or so. But its all in your connection quality. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived