How to properly drive a manual truck

Akoa

Hello everyone!

Today, I'm gona make a guide to let everybody know how to properly drive a manual truck.

As some people told me that they use automatic transmision on their trucks because they don't know to drive a manual, I'm going to explain it here.

1- What truck am I using for this guide?

For this guide I decided to use a normal truck, something affordable but not too useless, so I am using a Volvo FH16 with the following specs:

- High cabin

- 6 gear manual transmission

- 540hp engine

- 2 axes

Spoiler

Volvo-FH16-2012-Interior-Exterior-1.jpg

2- The beggining (How to start driving)

To start driving, your firstly have to turn on the engine and press the clutch, then, slowly press the throttle and release the clutch with the first gear in. Then you will start moving

Spoiler

3- Changing gears

To change a gear, you have to release the throttle, press the clutch, choose the next gear in the gear lever, and then release the clutch. Now you will be in second gear. Do the same to reach any gear you want.

Spoiler

4- Drecreasing speed when you are approaching a traffic light or an intersection

To do this, start braking some meters before the traffic light, and when you are slow enough press the clutch and change gear to neutral. This way will avoid the truck to power off.

Spoiler

5- Emergency braking

When using a manual truck, you can drecease your speed by reducing your gears, for example: if you are in forth gear and you see the traffic light going red, you reduce to second gear to decrease your speed. This will help you if somebody is going to crash you in some intersection, somebody in front of you that is lagged, and more situations.

Spoiler

6- Dealing with high hills in the wrong way

When I say dealing with high hills in the wrong way I don't mean in the opissite direction, I mean that some people would just try to get to the top of the hill with high gears to reduce gas, but this is wrong because if you try to get to the top of the hill by that way, you will get stuck and it will be very difficult to go out from there. This is how to NOT get to the top of the hill.

Spoiler

7- Correctly dealing with high hills

To correctly deal with high hills you have to spend more gas, but if you try to save gas there you will get stuck like the previous video shows. So to deal with them, you have to use short gears (1st and 2nd), by this way, you will be slow but you will get what you want.

Spoiler

8- How to get out of the hill if you climbed it by the wrong way

If you climb a hill in the wrong way, there is not over, you have a chance to get out of there but you have to do it cautiously. You have to put the hand brake on, press the throttle pedal and slowly release the clutch pedal, now you can quit the hand brake but you have to pay attention to the pedals: keep the clutch more or less in the middle, and the throttle thoroughly. Then, after a few seconds, you will be out of that trouble.

Spoiler

9- How to drive economically or how to save gas

To drive economically or save gas in case that you need it you have to make the rpm's between 1000 and 1500, the truck should mark that part with a green line which means that if you drive there you will save money and gas.

Spoiler

10- How to drive fast without saving gas

If you want to drive fast you have to keep the rpm's the closiest as possible to the red lines, this will make you go faster and change gear faster too, but will make you lose more money and more gas.

Spoiler

Here is the end of the guide, I hope this guide will be useful for the drivers that want to try a manual truck but they didn't know how to drive it.

Bye!

Edited by [LKW Tr.] Akoa
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

Yeni başlayanlar için harika bir rehber. Thanx ❤️ 

1797472539_TMP.webp

---------------------------------------

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...