Wintermod - The First 48 Hours (An Apology)

Kat_pw

7 hours ago, Tuxy Fluffyclaws said:

You still need the brute force to do the initial seed with p2p, it also makes the updater significantly more complex, and error prone.

Sure it is more complex, but the force needed for the beginning is lower than the classical way if made nicely, and it's just for like 1 H, not 24 ^^

Anyways it's just an idea ;)

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎19 at 2:34 AM, Ouskiller said:

I recommend you to read the news and be polite because if you think it's just a simple patch to support the new ats version, you might as well do it yourself. The devs are having a busy time and can't always promise a new update, they have been focusing on getting the winter mod and special cargo supported. Being a jerk about it will just get yourself in a worse position.

Yet they found the time to patch ETS2 in three days of SCS putting out two version upates and two DLC's for ETS2. It's been like three weeks since SCS put out that ONE version update for ATS. I sure they could of had ATS patched in like 12hrs. then got back to all the carp for ETS2 but nope so a lot of us ATS players are beyond mad us hell. :truestory: :angry:

21 hours ago, OzBoz said:

Really nice read! I was wondering why you guys didn't use a torrent to let it spread itself without the headache? At least I think that this kind of stuff was that what torrents were invented for.

Here is a dev answers to my questions, who is approx the same as your : 

You still need the brute force to do the initial seed with p2p, it also makes the updater significantly more complex, and error prone.

• Like 1

Haha don't think I've personally seen anyone try to deliver a 'CDN' over one server, even if it did have a 10Gbit dedicated connection. Lesson learnt, for the future; to definitely have backups in rotation anyway on the occasion a single location goes down, or as you experienced utter and full pipe congestion! Surprised, even though it was sponsored that the provider didn't cut you off for the 95% percentile utilisation of the connection haha, would've thought it be on 'best efforts' in this type of deal.

Fantastic to see that amount of traffic though regardless. Aware this is not-for-profit hence ruling out actual pre-provided "CDN's" that are designed to deliver static files but glad to see some initiative still exists in the modern world, it's possible - from my own experience and relatively straight forward to get your own CDN working well. Unfortunately, the pain of DNS appears to have bitten you in the bottom, it does to us all... at the best of times.

Best of luck for next year! haha :lol:

Kind regards,

Matthew

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Guest locked this topic