Experiencing kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

Using OBS to record gameplay

Subliminal

Hi all, I'm using OBS to record my gameplay but can't get the audio to record. Google isn't helping so I was just wondering if anybody has had the same problem and could lend a hand?

The "Source" I am using is "Game Capture" - it's the only one I've managed to get to actually capture the gameplay even though the quality isn't very good and it's set to 1920 x 1080 (I've tried lower resolutions).

With the Audio settings, I've got my headset plugged in but have tried a combination of all of the different audio settings so am a bit lost.

Thanks

When you right click the game capture "source" and open its properties, what does it say in the lower half? For me, it says:

These applications require administrator access to capture (start OBS as administrator to capture):

ASUS USB-AC53 Utility

This is the wireless ethernet transceiver I use to connect to the internet, and from what I can tell it has no effect on my capture ability. But if yours says something similar -perhaps with a different device or driver- try right clicking your OBS desktop icon and select "Run as Administrator".

Note: It does not display this message when run as administrator.

Other than that, I don't have much to go off of to help you. Best of luck! 

3.png

If you're having problems with OBS, I suggest taking a look at a tutorial video I made a while back on how to set it up. The settings I used in the tutorial are ones that worked best for me, and gave me the best quality with minimal frame drops.

0cRIb6g.png

SCS Software - Senior Beta Tester

Former Community Manager - Former In-Game Administrator - Former Squirrel.TV Moderation Team Member

Did I provide useful information? Please click "Like This" if so!

When you right click the game capture "source" and open its properties, what does it say in the lower half? For me, it says:

This is the wireless ethernet transceiver I use to connect to the internet, and from what I can tell it has no effect on my capture ability. But if yours says something similar -perhaps with a different device or driver- try right clicking your OBS desktop icon and select "Run as Administrator".

Note: It does not display this message when run as administrator.

Other than that, I don't have much to go off of to help you. Best of luck! 

Nope, that doesn't show - I've tried running it as an administrator too but no difference. Thanks though.

If you're having problems with OBS, I suggest taking a look at a tutorial video I made a while back on how to set it up. The settings I used in the tutorial are ones that worked best for me, and gave me the best quality with minimal frame drops.

Thanks, I'll take a look

Nope, that doesn't show - I've tried running it as an administrator too but no difference. Thanks though.

Thanks, I'll take a look

No problem! :)

0cRIb6g.png

Former Community Manager - Former In-Game Administrator - Former Squirrel.TV Moderation Team Member

Hi DFS_TV. I really struggled to hear your voice on the video, but replicated the audio changes you made before 2 mins 25 seconds in the game.

The audio now works, so there's one or two of two reasons as to why:

1) The audio settings changes I made caused it to now record correctly (most likely the change from mp3 to AAC)

2) I unplugged my headset and the audio is now going through the laptop speakers.

(Probably the first).

Now all I need to do is get the video quality to improve. I'm running a laptop more than capable of it, but for some reason the quality of the video is pretty bad.

Hi DFS_TV. I really struggled to hear your voice on the video, but replicated the audio changes you made before 2 mins 25 seconds in the game.

The audio now works, so there's one or two of two reasons as to why:

1) The audio settings changes I made caused it to now record correctly (most likely the change from mp3 to AAC)

2) I unplugged my headset and the audio is now going through the laptop speakers.

(Probably the first).

Now all I need to do is get the video quality to improve. I'm running a laptop more than capable of it, but for some reason the quality of the video is pretty bad.

Glad to hear you got audio working! It is an older tutorial, where I didn't know what I was doing :P What's your laptop resolution? Have you attempted to bump up the bitrate?

Cheers!

0cRIb6g.png

The bitrate can be set in Settings->Encoding->Video Encoding. Unless you have hardware-accelerated encoding support, use x264, untick CBR, set quality balance to about 8 and a max. bitrate of at least 10000 kbit (is use 15000) for somewhat decent video quality.

Some background:
The video is encoded using the "veryfast" mode of x264, which can be changed under "Advanced" (not recommended). The "veryfast" mode is capable of encoding 1080p videos in realtime at the cost of a higher bitrate to produce a similar video quality than a slower mode with a lower bitrate. However, the latter is of no use if your CPU cannot encode the video fast enough. So, you basically want a high bitrate for recording.

Hay DFS

I have the other problem to the OP I have audio but no vid I have reset OBS to your settings and will have a play later today see if it will record a session 

this was my past attempt as I was dealing with a blocker I will post and update it your setup works for me :D

EDIT

I did a run Felixstow to Hanover 

the test record a few seconds vid seemed to work the main vid nothing sound but no video again :(

EDIT2

I have moved my post to a new topic here

http://forum.ets2mp.com/index.php?/topic/6351-obs-sound-but-no-vid/

It's odd because the only way to get it to work was to use the Nvidia NVENC video encoding setting. I've set it to downscale the resolution to 540 too, so it's working just fine now. At 720 is would freeze with the audio still running and suddenly return back to normal, but at 540 it doesn't do that at all.

• 3 months later...

Archived