Beacon Script - Enforcing Rule

.Rhys.

On 8/29/2018 at 5:29 PM, [HKG] Chickennnnnnnnnnnn said:

imo a script that instantly bans people with beacons on in crowded areas, especially those Scanias with like a hundred beacons on it

i think ban would be a bit harsh. Ban should never be an autothing,, as the game moderators always can make a better decision about this, than any kind of AI, the decides on certain parameters. If an AI misinterpretes the parameters and kicks, its not so bad, as if the user would get banned immeadiatly. A Ban makes also more work for the team, as the players are appealing to the bans. 

• True Story 1

• 2 weeks later...

Though the suggestion has been made already quite some time ago, I think it has become even more necessary nowadays.
There are always multiple players who violate the rule of turning off their beacons in populated areas of 25+ players.

Enforcing this rule with a script would solve that situation without the need to kick or ban any player.

+1 from me.

Do beacons really make a lot of lag? I have good internet and a good computer and never experienced any lag from other players... (with beacons even on)

But the reality is, not everyone has a good pc... My second PC might have lag issues as well when beacons by other players are on but never tested this.

As far as this suggestion goes... I would approve use of a script that turns it off when there is 25+ and if there is less than 25 turn it back on again :) But please let it be an option to put the script OFF since for the
first car of a convoy these beacons are needed/handy... Since they alert drivers there is a convoy nearby! That's what they SHOULD be used for, or when being in a dangerous situation! Or driving on a one lane road (except Calais-Duisburg)

So my suggestions about this is...

1. I would approve a script that does this, as long you can turn it on or off... (a script wouldn't be always right)
2. Change TruckersMP rules about beacons... Explain what they can be used for (Convoys, Dangerous Situations, Road Closure for Admin/Mods, Pilot car if its the first car in a convoy, One lane roads to prevent getting rammed, Big trailers, ...)

I think those 2 things would create a better solution.

TLDR: +1 for me 

Dutch Hazmat Special Division Manager at Viva Trucking NL

On 01/12/2017 at 17:20, Killua // Ireland ^_^ said:

Se isso é algo que pode ser implementado sem muita dificuldade, então acho que pode ser muito bom, especialmente quando em áreas com mais de 30 pessoas pode ajudar a reduzir o atraso, mas provavelmente não terá muito efeito, especialmente quando em áreas com mais de 50 pessoas

:love:

I liked the idea

Languages:  English  2000px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png  | Portuguese  2000px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png  | Spanish Flag_of_Spain.svg

Rules  ||  Report a Player  ||  Appeal your Ban  ||  Create a Support Ticket  ||  Let us know your Feedback

Member since 02th June 2016

How about the developers just use a similar system to the one they have in place for people who don't turn on their headlights past a certain time in the game? It wouldn't be that hard to change the code for that server auto kick to also check for the beacon on status and can the tab system to see if there are more than 25 players near you. The warnings that come into chat and also the auto kick timer can just be moved to also work with the beacon detection.  I feel this is the best way to address this issue as a lot of players seem to ignore the rule and because not everyone has a really good computer to play this game any help to reduce lag would very helpful. The System is also kinda already in the game so making the small amount of changes wouldn't take that much time, which is another bonus to this idea in my opinion.

I would suggest the following:

Do it the same as TMP currently handles not having the headlights turned on at a certain time.

When you enter an area with 25+ players and you have your beacons enabled, you first get a normal warning message to turn off your beacons. After, let's say 5 seconds, you have 10 or 15 seconds left, to turn them off. If you don't do it on time, you get kicked.

Additionally I would suggest to add generally add messages (and maybe not just in chat, so it's more obvious), that warn you, when you are getting into a 25+ player zone or leaving one. That's way it would be better for players to act better.

On 9/14/2018 at 2:25 AM, RileyNeko said:

Do beacons really make a lot of lag? I have good internet and a good computer and never experienced any lag from other players... (with beacons even on)

I think on PCs & Laptops that (not even) meet the minimum hardware requirements of the game, this is a problem. You have to keep in mind that every single beacon and LED strobe creates it's own (moving) field of illumination, resulting in reflections, etc. That stacks up and requires processing power, that those Low-End-PCs & Laptops need. 

+1

This is a great suggestion and it should help players with low end computers. And I think that the driver should be notified that the beacons have been turned off due to high player population and if the number drops bellow 25 it waits 30 seconds before reactivating the beacons, because sometimes the number drops from 25 for a split second. I'm not sure but the script itself would then create lag in a way. 

smol_size.png.d3544591bca137e20b2ec7bc6cbf68d2.png

Discord: discord.io/BringVTC    |    Bring Website: BringVTC.com

• 1 month later...

I am seeing people complaining about the "difficulty" of coding such a thing, while it would be enough, in my humble opinion, to have the same system used for the detection of turned off headlights during nighttime.

I'd like to think about a couple of ways of doing so:

a) the script would check if the player is in a certain city (let's say Frankfurt, Calais, Duisburg)

or

b) there are more than 20 (or any number, at the discretion of the Game Managers) players around the player

If in any of the conditions stated above the player has his Beacon on or attempts to put it on, he will be warned by a message in the chat and given 15 seconds to disable them; if he fails to do so, he will be simply kicked from the server.

The issue is that large convoys (with more than 20 members) would have Beacon-less pilot vehicles.

Nevertheless, I am supporting the idea as it would also increase just a little bit the general performance and experience in the game. Good luck with this!

WJmVjFt.png

• 6 months later...
On 11/29/2017 at 11:00 PM, .Rhys. said:

i think its a great idea but i would add that if you are running heavy cargo (oversize/overweight) that it would keep the beacons on because of the condition of this vehicle.

(he didn said that but my reply did this somehow.)

On 11/29/2017 at 11:00 PM, .Rhys. said:

• Confused 1

Don't know why such an old post was pushed. Forum Mod should close this topic now because SCS already implemented a command to disable beacons flares as the solutions.

Thank you and have a good day.

• 2 weeks later...

+1

I really like the idea!! Personally, I am one of those with a toaster PC, and I need to run the game with almost all minimal details and I can feel easy when my FPS are dropping.

In fact... SCS implemented in v1.33 a console variable (g_disable_beacons (0/ 1/ 2) - for people having issues with blinking lights) that can be easily access from a script. I think 0 means NO beacons, 1 just orange static light and 2 the usual blinking orange.

In case +30 drivers around, the variable turns to 0, else turn back previous value... not hard I think.

NOTE: This effect will be only for the driver. As the idea said, a checkbox in the Launcher would be perfect. People with really good computers can just deactivate it, but we others can use it for earn those precious extra FPS :D