Ghost Mode, from Seconds to Units

Glada_Laxen

@megadethsteve666

If driver1 is swerving into driver2, then driver1 is punished for ramming. If driver1 is stopping and driver2 drives into them from behind, it is driver2's fault for not keeping distance or driving too fast for them to handle. If driver1 is continuously stopping(brake checking) they might be punished for trolling/griefing. What you talked about has nothing to do with my suggested Ghost Mode. As someone who would have just spawned in would be in Ghost Mode, if they were about to end their Ghost Mode they'd have had to be spawned and loaded in for a while which would mean that it would be the other trucker's fault for crashing into them. Unless the trucker who had spawned in intentionally rammed into them. But that is a completely different situation. 

Listen, with timed Ghost Mode, you can get out of Ghost Mode before you fully spawn in. If Ghost Mode is ended by distance, like I have suggested, you'd have to be fully loaded in, you would've had to driven about 100 yards, or whatever would be appropriate, before Ghost Mode ends. If driver1 is in a Ghost Mode, that ends after a certain amount of yards, and driver2 comes, then driver2 would either have to slow down and follow in driver1's speed. Or driver2 makes a safe overtake. If driver2 fails to do either of those they driver2 is at fault for driving recklessly. 

It is still not bannable to spawn in, anywhere, like I have said 3 times now. 

What you are describing is completely irrelevant to Ghost Mode. If someone is stopped on the road, ghostmode or not, and decides not to move, then they are blocking. Which is a completely different rule and situation. And even if someone happens to be stopped on the road and you crash into them, perhaps you shouldn't have driven so fast or too close that you were unable to stop. Drive a safe speed when around players, use TAB or your minimap to see when players are nearby. Keep a distance from players infront of you in case they have to abruptly brake. 

Your arguments are irrelevant and/or make no sense compared to my suggestion. Just listen, read carefully; 

With a Ghost Mode that ends after a certain amount of distance, the player would have had to be loaded in for a good amount of time before it ends. It would literally be the exact same thing as starting from the side of the road. If someone were to drive into them at that point, it would be completely their fault for driving too fast for them to brake or not paying attention of what is ahead of them. Obstacles on the road happens all the time, in real life too, and people who drive into them are either going too fast or not paying attention of what is in front of them. If the spawned in player then decides to swerve and ram or block another player, that is a entirely different situation and has nothing to do with Ghost Mode. 

28 minutes ago, ShadowWolf2k7 said:

here is a solution, ban anyone that spawns in, in a collision zone, problem solved, or is it? since I do not have any dlc map packs for ETS I am unaware if there are any job site collision zones in them, excluding the streets and the highways. but I do have the 2 state dlcs for ATS and I do know for a fact there are collision zones that are not a street/highway. the solution I just posted is basicly what you are proposing with loading an auto save on a road. a road is a collision zone, load a save there and you are banned.

how about everyone stop attacking each other and find a solution that will work for everyone. at this point you may not like what I posted as a solution, but it would do exactly what was proposed by others above me along with banning people that would other wise think they were in an area that is safe to load in. and an FYI 0 fuel stations that I have come across in ETS are NCZs. so spawning in there would be bannable as well. only safe places would be service stations, garages or job sites, which there are some as I have said that are collision zones.

My suggestion is a solution though and it doesn't result in banning players. 

Banning users for simply spawning into the game is toxic and very unhealthy for the community. 

Edited by Glada_Laxen

SHeDTix.png

^

your idea is ok in areas where there is low traffic.

as for the banning part of my comment was directed at someone else, he mentioned banning people that spawn in on roads which are Collision zones, I pointed out that there are more then one area that are collision zones. those being fuel stations, highways, and some job sites. how is it going to determine which person to ban, when a person spawns into one of the other zones, automation cant distinguish between a road collision zone, a fuel station collision zone and a job site collision zone.

the idea here, even for your idea can be extended to either be a time limit ie 30 sec or a set distance, or even a third option of ghost mode until you can safely get off the road and come to a complete stop.

then there is also the fact that this issue was on the C-D route. TMP has given alternate routes to go to avoid this type of thing. people who complain about things not working as intended on that route need to understand that, that is one of the heaviest routes used on the EU#2 server, on the server I play ETS on the C-D route is a barren wasteland. so this wouldn't be a problem, since you would be lucky to see another person on that route, unless if you are convying with them.

do I think that ghost mode can be improved, yes. will this topic continue to be an argument, most likely until a mod closes it.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, DanioUK said:

In my opinion @Glada_Laxen you SHOULD NOT be respawn in the high traffic area such that shown on your video. Simply as you said it 

So TruckersMP Terms should contain that point:

It is FORBIDDEN to respawn your vehicle in Heavy Traffic Area unless it is a service or No Colission Area!!

Then everyone respect that rule and there would be clear situation. Of course people still would need to go to SP to respawn and drive to safe place but that point will help others claiming reckless driving if it goes to the Report.

And there is no need for GHOS MODE time to be lifted. It is long enough.

The other way to my suggestion to development team is to: keep ghosted until other trucks around you leave you truck body combined. That will let you and others safe exit of any troubles when someone suddenly respawn.

22 hours ago, Glada_Laxen said:

@megadethsteve666

If driver1 is swerving into driver2, then driver1 is punished for ramming. If driver1 is stopping and driver2 drives into them from behind, it is driver2's fault for not keeping distance or driving too fast for them to handle. If driver1 is continuously stopping(brake checking) they might be punished for trolling/griefing. What you talked about has nothing to do with my suggested Ghost Mode. As someone who would have just spawned in would be in Ghost Mode, if they were about to end their Ghost Mode they'd have had to be spawned and loaded in for a while which would mean that it would be the other trucker's fault for crashing into them. Unless the trucker who had spawned in intentionally rammed into them. But that is a completely different situation. 

Listen, with timed Ghost Mode, you can get out of Ghost Mode before you fully spawn in. If Ghost Mode is ended by distance, like I have suggested, you'd have to be fully loaded in, you would've had to driven about 100 yards, or whatever would be appropriate, before Ghost Mode ends. If driver1 is in a Ghost Mode, that ends after a certain amount of yards, and driver2 comes, then driver2 would either have to slow down and follow in driver1's speed. Or driver2 makes a safe overtake. If driver2 fails to do either of those they driver2 is at fault for driving recklessly. 

It is still not bannable to spawn in, anywhere, like I have said 3 times now. 

What you are describing is completely irrelevant to Ghost Mode. If someone is stopped on the road, ghostmode or not, and decides not to move, then they are blocking. Which is a completely different rule and situation. And even if someone happens to be stopped on the road and you crash into them, perhaps you shouldn't have driven so fast or too close that you were unable to stop. Drive a safe speed when around players, use TAB or your minimap to see when players are nearby. Keep a distance from players infront of you in case they have to abruptly brake. 

Your arguments are irrelevant and/or make no sense compared to my suggestion. Just listen, read carefully; 

With a Ghost Mode that ends after a certain amount of distance, the player would have had to be loaded in for a good amount of time before it ends. It would literally be the exact same thing as starting from the side of the road. If someone were to drive into them at that point, it would be completely their fault for driving too fast for them to brake or not paying attention of what is ahead of them. Obstacles on the road happens all the time, in real life too, and people who drive into them are either going too fast or not paying attention of what is in front of them. If the spawned in player then decides to swerve and ram or block another player, that is a entirely different situation and has nothing to do with Ghost Mode. 

My suggestion is a solution though and it doesn't result in banning players. 

Banning users for simply spawning into the game is toxic and very unhealthy for the community. 

That’s what I was saying, if drive a spawns in and then waits at the last few metres before the ghost mode is disabled, particulRly on blind or off camber turns/hills, then as driver b comes around then turn/hill at road speed, driver a can easily move their truck to block driver b giving driver b only a second or two to react and avoid a collision. 

Hobestly, timed ghost mode can be fixed by simply increasing the time you have in ghost mode, but neither timed or distance ghost modes will work for the simple reason that people generally load autosaves in busy, high traffic areas because of lag, trolls and other issues, so even if ghost mode is distance based, you’ll, still end up glitching out or blocking traffic. That’s why there should be a rule on spawning on roads, it’s dangerous, it’s stupid and you can land yourself in more trouble than if you just do things differently. 

Also, it’s obvious that you have not encountered a troll because a lot of trolls will make an accident look like it’s your fault, that you’re speeding or some other excuse, when in actual fact, they are blocking areas that you cannot see until you are within metres of them, regardless if you are doing 40 or 80 mph, if you can see a truck in front of you a few metres away and can stop or avoid within that distance, then you must have some kind of hack or sixth sense. 

Everything is subject to situation, not just “oh you hit someone, well you were speeding or not paying attention”, if you have realistic brake settings and a heavy trailer behind you, even if you see a truck 2-300 metres ahead of you while you’re traveling at the speed limit, the chances of stopping in time is very very slim. Plus, traffic may not give you the chance to see and avoid a wreck, so instantly saying, oh you are at fault for causing the wreck because you could avoid, that’s a total lie. If someone stops in the middle of a motorway irl and someone atmotorway speed is blocked by other traffic and poles into the stopped vehicle, who’s fault is it then? 

Also, just because I don’t whole heartedly support your suggestion 1000% doesn’t make my opinions irrelevant.

@ShadowWolf2k7

its easy, bans are handed out based on photographic and video evidence, like most bans are these days. If someone is seen spawning on a major road, and it’s captured by other players or admins, then it can be acted upon. Fuel stations and rest areas are not ncz for very good reasons, they’ll become a troll hotspot and a scene of many a collision based incident otherwise. The only thing that would be nice is if you spawn there and someone’s parked in the same space, then collisions are automatically disabled till you or they depart. Road spawning is just super dangerous no matter how heavy traffic is and simply slapping a time or distance ghosting period is like slapping a bandaid on a cut artery, it’s not going to solve much, especially as OP stated that in the first place with their video.

To get back to the topic, which is not being banned or not for loading an autosave, maybe we should use a mix of time + distance to get the ghost mode really efficient.

Like 30 seconds + you need to move at least 20m for the ghost mode to stop. With this, you know even if the player move, you will not crash into him if he just spawn (like joigning the server and begining to drive before being connected (EU 2 ;))), and it can prevent crash due to autosave.

12 hours ago, megadethsteve666 said:

-loads of text-

That could happen without Ghost Mode anyway? A player can be parked after a hill/curve. But that is why you need to go a safe speed around corners and hills. This is not a racing game, this is a simulator. 

If Ghost Mode with seconds was working as intended there would be no issue loading a save in busy areas. But it does not work because, as seen in my video and said so many times, it takes you out of Ghost Mode before you even have a chance to avoid any incident. If Ghost Mode was ended after a certain amount of distance, that means a player would have had to been completely loaded in, they would have had to move from their spawn-point and most likely been out of any possible risks. I still do not see what you are trying to argue against Ghost Mode ending with a distance. 

If a troll is blocking the road, then they are at fault for blocking. I suggest you make use of your nearby-players-list (TAB) and the minimap to spot players before you can actually see them so that you are never at fault. 

Not being able to brake has nothing to do with Ghost Mode. A driver can be stopped on the road for several reasons, not just after spawning in. 

I get that you do not agree with my suggestion, but you are giving arguments that do not even relate to Ghost Mode. Like I said above, drivers being parked on the road has nothing to do with Ghost Mode. A driver can be stopped on the road for several reasons, like being in an incident prior to their stop or maybe even ran out of fuel. What you should argue is if my suggested Ghost Mode have any faults when spawning in, as of now I do not see any issues with it. 

You cannot say that a user will just spawn in and stay there, because eventually they will be kicked for AFK. Or if they do move just a tiny bit, they are griefing/trolling, which is a bannable offence. 

SHeDTix.png

@megadethsteve666

you didn't read the part where I said Auto ban. that was an important part of what I said. second I didn't mention rest areas, I said service areas. I also pointed out that you mentioned people getting off the road completely. I pointed out there are places where you cant get completely off the road. I mentioned that there are job sites which are collision zones, which logging in to would be able to get you auto banned, under an auto ban for logging into a collision zone.

@Glada_Laxen

I don't think this is going to get a solution or be a viable debatable suggestion as well. my recommendation is to contact a mod and ask them to close and lock this topic. after that think of a better way to improve ghost mode that wont devolve into an argument, which may not be possible.

@Glada_Laxen

it can happen no matter what, but it can also be magnified by the use of ghost mode. Also, it doesn’t matter what speed you enter a corner/Hill, if you can’t see that someone is blocking the road, then an wreck is imminent, unless you drive at 10 mph everywhere you go. I agree this is not a racing game, hence why I do realistic speeds, especially in busy areas, yes my maximums are 60 mph on back road (4mph over legal limit) and 70 mph on motorways/autobahns.

as I said before, you shouldn’t expect ghost mode to protect you every time you spawn in, because things like you recorded can happen, that’s why it’s more of a fail safe in case of emergency, not some use at own preference thing. Ideally people should NOT spawn on the roadway, it’s dangerous and reckless. 

Look, this is a simulator, do you think it’s realistic to drive around with a app open with trackers of every vehicle displayed? no, hence why I only use tab to report a troll, not as a constant readout because it’s distracting and blocks my mirrors , same with satnav dots, they’re fine on quiet roads with light traffic, but a nightmare on busy roads, so most the time I have them off, now, I’m not the only person in this community who has those things off, so just because we have those off shouldn’t make a difference, especially when most of the time a connecting player doesn’t have a dot on the map anyway.

what the issue is, you don’t look at my opinions the right way, what I’m saying is, scrap ghost mode alltogether, replace it with something that stops road spawning, not just tries to make it better, but in fact, makes it worse. The whole blocking thing? If you read my post correctly, you would see that I gave a scenario that is all to familiar and possible and you got the wrong end of the proverbial stick. In simple terms, ghost mode is a trolls tool, they can target specific groups of traffic by simply using ghost mode, especially DISTANCE based ghost mode as a tool to allow other traffic past and then to come out of ghost at the right time to cause a massive wreck/glitch out. 

If you play TMP long enough, you get to know the patterns that trolls tend to follow, especially when it comes to blocking/causing pile ups, so ghost mode with distance is an aid to them, whereas time would not.

now if you think about it, if you combine your idea of distance based ghost mode with the current ti e based ghost mode, then it stops trolls AND adds a line of defence against what happened to you, win win. 

@ShadowWolf2k7

in my opinion, anyone who spawns on the road should be banned because I’ve had so many trips ruined across both games by someone loading an autosave in the middle of the road. Yes, I used to spawn from an autosave if someone wrecked me, but I learnt quickly that it’s more deadly than just either taking the hit and hitting f7 enter and sorting my stuff from there or what 8 do nowadays which is every few rest areas or fuel stations that are  ormally quite quiet, I’ll save there so in the event of something happening, I have a relatively recent point to return to. 

As for service areas, to my knowledge, the most used service areas are ncz anyway, so no issues, at least, no issues that TMP can fix without map editing. 

And if if you read my follow up statement, I suggested the fact that you can easily add a grace period of x time (x meaning any determinable time at coders discretion) which will allow you to:

1. Move your vehicle off the road completely

2. Move your vehicle from a place where you cannot get off the road, to an area where you can. (Only place I can think of that’s almost impossible to move off the road safely is the alps, also FYI, hard shoulders count as being off the road because you are not blocking the movement of traffic) 

the great thing about  coding is you can specify what is and isn’t classed as a certain thing, so, in the case of making spawning on a road a auto bannable offence with a coded program, say someone spawns in, program checks, are they on an active roadway when spawning?

-No- spawn is allowed to continue without issue 

-yes- ban is applied.

at the same time the program can check if the player is spawning in a Collision job site and rule that out as being off an active roadway, same goes for service stations, garage, dealerships as well as fuel stations and rest areas and motorway hard shoulders. This means the on,y people to be banned are those loading in on the actual physical roadway that can impede traffic flow. 

@megadethsteve666

the rule would apply to all servers the same, from the high pop EU#2 to the almost empty US server for ETS, and transfers over to the higher pop US ATS server to the lower pop EU server.

I noticed you said you play ATS as well, there wouldn't have to be any map changes other then the trigger boxes and the areas setup for the NCZs put into place for the jobsites and few service stations that are currently CZs

1 hour ago, megadethsteve666 said:

the great thing about  coding is you can specify what is and isn’t classed as a certain thing, so, in the case of making spawning on a road a auto bannable offence with a coded program, say someone spawns in, program checks, are they on an active roadway when spawning?

-No- spawn is allowed to continue without issue 

-yes- ban is applied.

your idea would be fine in ETS for EU#2 however would be totally pointless on the US server due to what I mentioned above. but as I also mentioned above the rule would apply across the board, so someone CTD's and reloads back in on the US server on a roadway, or a highway would get banned for the reason that they loaded into the game on a roadway or a highway. and to determine what is an active roadway or highway would coding then what could be modified version of the OP's post. 

instead of making it a set distance of travel, make it a set distance from other people, with the timer starting when there is no one with in 400m of said person. others would see how much time they have left on their ghost mode timer both in the tab window and near their name tag. would trolls be able to figure out how to exploit this, guaranteed, but it is a viable solution, gives others time to stop since you can see people's name plate at a good stopping distance and would allow the person who loaded in to either a) move off the road or B.) use the F7 + enter to get out of the way.

that would also eliminate the need to ban a person from loading in on a road or highway in a busy area since they wouldn't leave ghost mode until there was no one with in 400m of them. or they were transported to a service station.

instead of saying ban people for loading in, help improve the mode that is designed to prevent the accidents like this from happening.

@ShadowWolf2k7

The thing is, if developers tried to please everyone from every perspective, then nothing would ever get done, sometimes you have to take the cons with the pros, the bottom line is, coding and developing games is not linear, things do t have to be one thing or another, so in theory you can easily modify rulesets for specific roads onspecific servers if required, sometimes its easier to just lump on one size fits all rules for all servers, but for issues LIKE this, then it would have to be server by server, game by game, besides, making it where spawning on a road is a bannable offence would be a last option if something isn’t figured out that works. 

What it it all comes down to is supply and demand really, if a server has x amount of people average, then it should have y rules and regulations,below that (like all US servers) different rules apply. 

The issue of making it like tou say say is that it’s great when you’re on a dead server, like the us ones, or a quiet area of the map, but in busy areas, you’ll always have someone within that bubble which, by all means, freak people out and be dangerous if something were to lag out.

its why I still think personally my idea is best, if someone loads an autosave, they are automatically kicked into a kind of waiting area between being on and offline for x time, and they can only connect once they have moved their whole vehicle out of an active roadway. It’s essentially like quitting, going to singleplayer, moving, then rejoining, only you don’t ever leave the multiplayer client. It eliminates all the current issues, then you can enable a kind of ghost mode so that people merging back onto the road don’t impede traffic if they do t know how to use mirrors. It just takes away the annoying parts of what goes on currently. 

Banning for road spawning should always always be a last effort type thing, I can’t stress that enough. 

• 1 year later...

Whoever is blaming Glada_Laxen for spawning, I do advise reading the whole post again. 
This was a quick-save, which she loaded after a crash. She is not at fault for loading it up. Seriously guys? It's a quick-save. What do you want, pull over before every quick-save? Come on, now, read carefully before throwing dirt.

On 11/28/2017 at 10:10 PM, Glada_Laxen said:

The reason for me to load a save there is because I was rammed off the road just before. I rather load a save instead of F7 + Enter because of the usual chaos at a Service Station and main cities. 

You cannot blame a person for loading a quick-save instead of F7. If it's an option, then it's valid and correct.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's a great idea. It happens something similar to me. My loadscreen takes some 10 to 13 seconds (first load after turning on the PC), meanwhile I am already connected, losing seconds of ghost mode. The solution to this is to load the game previously on SP, so the next time, will be faster. Obviously, I never quit the game on the middle of the road, so accidents don't happen to me. Anyways, it's a better idea to change from seconds to units. So more problems will be solved, like @Glada_Laxen situation. 

Regrettably, it's easier to improve a better (efficient) system, rather that teach players. I mean, TMP can make videos or reports of the correct way to quit the game or make saves (a very easy thing to do, I know). But there'll always be people that wouldn't see them and cause the same problems that nowadays we're argueing for. Thinking of an official rule, so someone could ban those people that don't learn would demand a harder work from the Game moderation team (see if the situation deserves a ban or not, or if he was corrected parked or not), so again: it's easier and more efficiente to improve an existing system, so more problems will be solved.

• 1 month later...

Tbh.. if you had given more thought for the player you spawned into or those around you.. you should have F7+enter before your ghost mode ended. 

Which is also why ever since back then.. certain players within this community continuously seek understanding between players to have respect for one another.. at least enough to take their saves/loads/reloads off the roads and/or elsewhere safe. The ghost mode can only improve so much. 

What needs changing is the attitude and character behavior on the road and towards other road commuters. Without that.. no amount of minutes and seconds will really improve anything. 

Илиян Каменов 

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, [ARG] Railroader_6599 said:

You don't always get to decide where you park. You may get kicked for unreliable connection, kicked for whatever reason, loading an autosave etc. The ghost mode is not working as intended as it is right now, players are still popping up from nowhere without ghostmode causing accidents. And the reason that's happening may be because their PC is taking too long to load that the ghostmode time has expired before they even get into the game, or their connection is bad. 

It's completely necessary because it prevents accidents unlike the ghostmode does today. 

SHeDTix.png

Hello,guy

I think your suggestion is very useful and I agree with you .But I have an experience want to share with you.

Once time I played with my friends.I want to test how long Ghost Mode in the end.So I store a quicksave and read the quicksave rightnow.And then I drvie into my fiend's truck and we drive as same speed .

Amazing thing happened! We drive about one minute!During the minute,our trucks still had overlapping parts and our trucks flashed all the minute.But I was bonced after one minute. I can't believe Ghost Mode can hold so long.
I think now Ghost Mode is not decidede by just seconds.It may be decided by other casual factors .But I think TMP should fix this problem.Units maybe is a good solution!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

It seems there is a even bigger need for this suggestion. I just got banned for blocking, before I had even loaded into the game. I was somehow loaded into the game, before I even got to press the green "DRIVE" button. If the Ghost Mode was still active, I wouldn't have blocked, but because it's set to end after a set amount of time, I was blocking without even knowing it. 

This suggestion was started in 2017... It is now 2020. Are suggestions even being read...? 

SHeDTix.png

17 hours ago, Glada_Laxen said:

It seems there is a even bigger need for this suggestion. I just got banned for blocking, before I had even loaded into the game. I was somehow loaded into the game, before I even got to press the green "DRIVE" button. If the Ghost Mode was still active, I wouldn't have blocked, but because it's set to end after a set amount of time, I was blocking without even knowing it. 

This suggestion was started in 2017... It is now 2020. Are suggestions even being read...? 

Ghost mode is not a mean to prevent blocking.
Next time, park your vehicle in a position that is safe for you and others before leaving the game.

2 hours ago, Joao Rodrigues said:

Ghost mode is not a mean to prevent blocking.
Next time, park your vehicle in a position that is safe for you and others before leaving the game.

Of course it's meant to prevent blocking... and how am I supposed to park, if I'm not even driving yet? Or did you skip reading that part? 

SHeDTix.png

1 hour ago, Glada_Laxen said:

Of course it's meant to prevent blocking... and how am I supposed to park, if I'm not even driving yet? Or did you skip reading that part? 

You are supposed to park your vehicle in a spot that is safe (hint: non-collision zone and the like ?) for you and others BEFORE you leave the game, so that when you load the save game again you will not harm anybody, no matter what other unfortunate circumstances might arise.

To put the blame on the ghost mode to excuse reckless behavior however will not lead anywhere.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Joao Rodrigues said:

You are supposed to park your vehicle in a spot that is safe (hint: non-collision zone and the like ?) for you and others BEFORE you leave the game, so that when you load the save game again you will not harm anybody, no matter what other unfortunate circumstances might arise.

To put the blame on the ghost mode to excuse reckless behavior however will not lead anywhere.

You cannot always decide when you are leaving the game. Sometimes you crash whether it's your PC, the TruckersMP client or the game tiself. And then you don't geto to park on the side of the road or in non-collision zones. And having Ghost Mode helps with just that, by letting players load into the road without appearing right infront of drivers causing accidents. 

But, since it also appears now that your truck and trailer can be spawned into the game without you pressing "Drive" or loading a save, then there has to be changes to the ghost mode or at least for the game moderators not to instantly ban users that are spawned into the game without loading into it. 

6 hours ago, SaintPoete said:

Good idea but not necessary. From the moment you start the game, there is already enough time to go elsewhere.

What do you mean? I literally just said that it spawns you into the game without you loading into the game. How are you supposed to use your "time" to go "elsewhere" if you're not even driving? 

SHeDTix.png