Ghost Mode, from Seconds to Units

Glada_Laxen

At the moment, Ghost Mode puts you in no-collosion state for a certain amount of seconds. The base idea of Ghost Mode is great but I think it would be better if it stayed active for a certain amount of units instead of seconds. 

Why? Because with Ghost Mode that ends after a certain amount of units the Ghost Mode does not tick down while in a loading screen. You also get plenty of time to get to a safe place such as on the side of the road. While with seconds, you might not have enough time to get out of a player you may have spawned in and get out of them without causing any crashes. 

Like this for example, in my video I loaded a save. I spawn in and I don't move at all because I am inside another player and I can't really get anywhere except drive through everyone. But my set amount of seconds ended and my Ghost Mode was no longer active, so this happened; 

I did try suggest this a while back, but it was disregarded because some other guy had suggested a similar idea but with seconds. But I still believe using units would be better.  

I also made this which is hilarious. :P https://youtu.be/mdXMZNktd10

Edited by Glada_Laxen
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 3

SHeDTix.png

Tbh.. if you had given more thought for the player you spawned into or those around you.. you should have F7+enter before your ghost mode ended. 

Which is also why ever since back then.. certain players within this community continuously seek understanding between players to have respect for one another.. at least enough to take their saves/loads/reloads off the roads and/or elsewhere safe. The ghost mode can only improve so much. 

What needs changing is the attitude and character behavior on the road and towards other road commuters. Without that.. no amount of minutes and seconds will really improve anything. 

• Upvote 2
  • True Story 1

Ex - GM & FM (S.E.A)

Oh, we're open for discussion now, neat. 

On 25.11.2017 at 8:07 PM, MettleMeat said:

^

The reason for me to load a save there is because I was rammed off the road just before. I rather load a save instead of F7 + Enter because of the usual chaos at a Service Station and main cities. 

If the Ghost Mode was on after a set amount of units, this would not happen. Instead we would've just clip through each other and after the set amount of units I would become solid again. Instead now with set amount of seconds, I have no idea when I am getting out of Ghost Mode. Most of the time was spent loading into the game, I've even had some moments where my entire state in Ghost Mode was spent in the loading screen. 

Edited by Anriandor
Removed unnecessary quotation.
  • True Story 1

SHeDTix.png

What you did there is reckless. If you think that what happened there is hilarious, I'd bet that the 2 players whose trailers were destroyed when yours landed on top of them would think otherwise. You know that your autosave will spawn your truck in the middle of a crowded road, most likely with no time to clear a probable collision within the Ghost mode time. But you do it, anyway. You don't want to go F7 because ot the chaos in the repair station? So quit the game, open single player, drive to a safe place, stop, quit and then come back to MP. You can argue all you want but your action was completely disrespectful. When this ghost mode was implemented, I already wondered in some other topic about "What happens when the timer runs out, if you are still in collision with another vehicle?" Now we all know. But I already suspected something like this, that's why I keep using the long way (exit - SP - drive - exit - MP) if I'm not sure where my truck would spawn.

On topic, what exactly do you mean by "units"? I can see that the Ghost Mode can be improved somehow, but I don't understand that "units" concept... My suggestion would be that the ghost mode timer stops while your vehicle is in collision with another and starts again when that collision has been cleared, but I don't know if this is doable.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • True Story 4

If against one's better knowledge a player loads a savegame that will spawn his/ her vehicle in an area that is well-known for its intense road traffic, it must be regarded as an act of recklessness.

Because every player can chose to load a savegame in singleplayer to maneouver his/ her vehicle to a location that is safe for him/ her and other players.

IMHO, there is no need of timely extended lengths of ghost mode or change of units.

Turn on your brain first and use common sense is all it takes!

Edited by Joao Rodrigues
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

^

Instead of Ghost Mode ending after a certain amount of seconds, I think it would be better if it ended after you have driven a certain length. Because as you can see in the video I added, most of those seconds were counted while I was in loading screen. 

On 11/29/2017 at 4:58 AM, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

What you did there is reckless. If you think that what happened there is hilarious, I'd bet that the 2 players whose trailers were destroyed when yours landed on top of them would think otherwise. You know that your autosave will spawn your truck in the middle of a crowded road, most likely with no time to clear a probable collision within the Ghost mode time. But you do it, anyway. You don't want to go F7 because ot the chaos in the repair station? So quit the game, open single player, drive to a safe place, stop, quit and then come back to MP. You can argue all you want but your action was completely disrespectful. When this ghost mode was implemented, I already wondered in some other topic about "What happens when the timer runs out, if you are still in collision with another vehicle?" Now we all know. But I already suspected something like this, that's why I keep using the long way (exit - SP - drive - exit - MP) if I'm not sure where my truck would spawn.

On topic, what exactly do you mean by "units"? I can see that the Ghost Mode can be improved somehow, but I don't understand that "units" concept... My suggestion would be that the ghost mode timer stops while your vehicle is in collision with another and starts again when that collision has been cleared, but I don't know if this is doable.

Ghost Mode was added just so you would not have to worry about trucks spawning right infront of you or inside of you. And it should be the same thing the other way around, you should not have to worrying about spawning where it would cause an accident. But it is not working properly because it is set to end in seconds instead of units. And by units I mean it ends while you have driven a certain amount of yards/meters. 

You say what I did was reckless, but if the feature worked as it should have, this would never have happened. Which is why I am suggesting it to be changed from seconds to units. 

Also you need to lighten up a bit, yes it was funny. It is a game. 

Edited by MettleMeat
  • Upvote 1

SHeDTix.png

1 hour ago, Glada_Laxen said:

Also you need to lighten up a bit, yes it was funny. It is a game. 

Of course it is. But sometimes it's also funny to see someone with NCZ hack making others fly, should we allow that just because it's funny and a game? No. And to you it was funny, if I were one of the trucks below, taking a lot of damage because you spawned and got flying, landing on top of my trailer, I guarantee that I wouldn't find it funny, I do WoT jobs, once damaged, you can continue and get nothing or cancel the job, no way to "repair" by loading autosaves. Nothing funny about driving flawlessly for more than one hour to be destroyed by someone who couldn't do things right.

Edited by FernandoCR [ESP]
  • Upvote 1
  • True Story 1

Yes... Which is why I have come here to bring up a solution to Ghost Mode. Obviously it is not working as intended. Its purpose is so that you do not crash into or spawn inside another player. I did not create this thread to post a funny video about me glitching out causing me to fly and land on a bunch of people. I posted this thread to have the issue resolved and not having people glitch out causing people to take damage... 

On 12/24/2017 at 7:03 PM, Batslav said:

you had enough time to move and avoid it. Maybe they can increase the time with 5-10 seconds but there is no real need to change it.
Main problem with spawning trucks was that if player spawns in front of u on the move you crash into them, which now is solved.

Okay, look, obviously it is not solved with the Ghost Mode we have currently. As you can see in my video, it is not working as intended. So, I propose a solution which would be to replace the seconds with units. It would completely solve the issue shown in my video. 

I don't understand why you guys are trying to argue against what both you and I want... 

Edited by MettleMeat

SHeDTix.png

The idea is good. But: I think it is not necessary. To avoid the accident you could join the workshop by F7 + Enter or you could think ahead and drive on the side before you close the game, you have to notice that you are driving at C-D and that there are coming trucks every second. So I don't really know what happened before, but when I close my game I drive on the side and when this is impossible, for example because the game crashed, I press F7 + Enter or go on on sp. I know that this is very awkward but normally in my case I don't leave the game on such a point. 

This also happens not often and when it happens, just follow the steps above. And then good drive!

-Leon :)

• True Story 2

The current time given to Ghost Mode is more than enough for a player to load in, assert the situation and move out of the way if his/her truck/car is clipping through someone's. Either drive to the side of the road or F7 away. In the video example, you did nothing to avoid that incident and you had plenty of time to. You are aware of what happens when you clip through someone when Ghost Mode runs out, you should have moved out of the way. :\ Also, change to units is redundant as time passes anyway. The only difference is that it opens the door for more recklessness. We already heavily disencourage players from driving in Ghost Mode (seriously, DON'T DO THAT!) for that exact reason (crashing into others when Ghost Mode runs out). Have it run out by driven distance instead of time will simply make it easier for trolls to wreck people. As a Game Moderator, I highly disapprove of this idea.

Case and point:

1) Spawn

2) Are you inside a No Collision Zone?

No = MOVE OUT OF THE WAY AND INTO SAFETY IMMEDIATELY!

Yes = Then no need to worry

3) Are you outside of a No Collision Zone and possibly in someone's way?

No = Then no need to worry

Yes = MOVE OUT OF THE WAY AND INTO SAFETY IMMEDIATELY!

• True Story 3

Some people should really get a license before even thinking about buying Euro Truck Simulator 2 or American Truck Simulator. Drive safely, folks!

GP53e75.jpg

< < < Don't bet on sinking ships because they'll turn your chips to trash! > > >

^

But this does not solve the problem of the countdown which starts already during the loading screen. It's happens quite a lot that the loading screen lasts more than 20 seconds (at least for me). In this case moving out of way is not possible for the spawning player. 

Hence the players which are already on the server have to avoid going throug a spawning truck (if possible). But what if they are waiting in a traffic jam and don't realize that a truck is spawning in them?

Yes, the given video might not be the perfect example for that. But the early starting countdown can be a real problem, and I think this suggestion is a possible solution for solving this problem.

In some other situations when ghost mode gets activated, it will not disable until you are 100% not clipping through someone... not sure why it didn't do that here.

Possibly, it could've been broken during a recent update.

I also suggest the addition of some sort of seconds countdown visible for both you and others, because at the moment, unless you're paying close attention, it's sort of a guessing game.

• Upvote 2
  • True Story 1

signature2019.png.8d2d82f1f80e57ce817e965f0bdde2eb.png

Signature made by Aestrial

I don't see any problems with the countdown, at all. Regardless of when it starts, the time available to move out of harm is enough. If anything, the "suggestion" you should be making should be for a small increase in the time given before Ghost Mode runs out or a on-screen display of the time left. Either way, it should be common sense to avoid "touching" any vehicle that has just spawned outside of a NCZ and for those who just spawned, it should be common sense to move out of the way as soon as possible.

Some people should really get a license before even thinking about buying Euro Truck Simulator 2 or American Truck Simulator. Drive safely, folks!

GP53e75.jpg

< < < Don't bet on sinking ships because they'll turn your chips to trash! > > >

^^ That's the thing with loading autosaves. Someone gets hit and decides to load an autosave, so the damage to the truck/trailer goes away. Before this "ghost mode" update, most people didn't care about where they'd spawn and that caused lots of "accidents" (quotation marks because I don't see that as an accident, but as recklessness). Currently, with the ghost mode, most people care even less than before, only they can now complain about how short the time is. There were several topics before the ghost mode was implemented, explaining how easy was to avoid spawning in the middle of a dangerous area: Quit MP - Launch SP - Drive to a safe place and stop - Quit SP - Launch MP again. But it takes time to do that and most people are, like you said, too lazy to waste 2-3 minutes when they can just load an autosave and since "accidents" caused by spawning are not bannable, they don't give a ****.

• True Story 1

11 hours ago, Batslav said:

I said that they can extend it a little bit but there is no real need to change it. And yes i watched the video, you did nothing to avoid it.

The point of Ghost Mode is so that other players can go through you. If it was actually working, none of what happened in the video would have occured. If you actually watched my video you would see that I had less than a second to "move over". If you listen for when my engine ignite, I have less than a second to move. 

4 hours ago, Mr_Pingu said:

Laziness is what causes accidents, in future why dont you park your self on the side of the road before loading in, the ghost mode is just a fail safe just in case you do accidently spawn on the road. 

I loaded a quicksave after being rammed off the road. 

5 hours ago, Mike Dragon said:

I don't see any problems with the countdown, at all. Regardless of when it starts, the time available to move out of harm is enough. If anything, the "suggestion" you should be making should be for a small increase in the time given before Ghost Mode runs out or a on-screen display of the time left. Either way, it should be common sense to avoid "touching" any vehicle that has just spawned outside of a NCZ and for those who just spawned, it should be common sense to move out of the way as soon as possible.

The issue is that the Ghost Mode does not work as intended. It is supposed to be active as long as you are inside another player, but evidentally that is false as you can see in my video. And if it instead use units the entire issue would be solved. 

I repeat, Ghost Mode's intent is to put you in a no-collision state until a certain amount of seconds have passed and until you are not clipping inside another player. As you can see in my video, that is not fully working. By changing the amount of seconds to units, it would completely solve the issue. That is of course unless someone with Ghost Mode active decides to drive into people, but that is another issue. 

• Confused 1

SHeDTix.png

2 hours ago, Glada_Laxen said:

The issue is that the Ghost Mode does not work as intended. It is supposed to be active as long as you are inside another player, but evidentally that is false as you can see in my video. And if it instead use units the entire issue would be solved. 

And whoever told you Ghost Mode was supposed to last while you are clipping through someone? From what your video shows, it is working perfectly fine as intended. It's not supposed to last while you are clipping through someone, it is supposed to last for a few seconds regardless of anything so you can have time to move out of their way or so they won't crash into you if you spawn on their faces.

• True Story 1

GP53e75.jpg

@Mike Dragon In previous builds, ghost mode (upon spawning) was always 20 seconds PLUS continued protection until all models were no longer clipping through each other. I know that for a fact because I have a video of it being tested.

Take leaving NCZ's for example - ghost mode turns on for anybody who is still clipping through you when you leave the zone.

Designed that way to stop flying trucks and the kind of trolls who used to park at exits just to make people fly. It was working that same way when the spawn timer ran out, but now that feature doesn't always seem to work. 

As to @Glada_Laxen, I have to admit, that spawn was a really poor choice (I always try to make my quick-saves on the side of the road), but I can't put the blame on you for that as you expected a different outcome.

signature2019.png.8d2d82f1f80e57ce817e965f0bdde2eb.png

Signature made by Aestrial

Hello, for the ones who say 20 sec is enough : no. When you have a computer like mine, ghost mod can end before you are even here, you can be in the loading page (as it is decreasing as soon as server consider you here, but not your computer) or waiting for other truck to spawn (can take up to 30 seconds depending on the number of players around). This 2 issues can be really damaging for other players, as if you drive while you don't see others, you can drive trought them and leading to a similar issue as non-damages mods.

11 hours ago, Mike Dragon said:

And whoever told you Ghost Mode was supposed to last while you are clipping through someone? From what your video shows, it is working perfectly fine as intended. It's not supposed to last while you are clipping through someone, it is supposed to last for a few seconds regardless of anything so you can have time to move out of their way or so they won't crash into you if you spawn on their faces.

Well I would have assumed it would keep you in no-collision mode as long as you are inside someone else because that is what I have myself experienced in-game. But either way, then we are back to my original suggestion. I barely had a second to move out of my way. Most of my time was spent in the loading screen, then I spent my last few seconds igniting my engine. When you say I should've moved out of my way, you're expecting me to move a truck with the heaviest(non-modded) cargo completely off the road, away from any player, in the most busiest and laggiest intersection in the game with 3 seconds. 

I took the time from my video;

13 seconds was spent in the loading screen

9 seconds was spent igniting my engine with lag. 

2-3 seconds is all I had left to move my truck. That does not seem reasonable to me. 

So, I'd like to suggest that instead of seconds, units are put in place. That way none of what happened in my video would ever happen again. 

1 hour ago, explocraft said:

Hello, for the ones who say 20 sec is enough : no. When you have a computer like mine, ghost mod can end before you are even here, you can be in the loading page (as it is decreasing as soon as server consider you here, but not your computer) or waiting for other truck to spawn (can take up to 30 seconds depending on the number of players around). This 2 issues can be really damaging for other players, as if you drive while you don't see others, you can drive trought them and leading to a similar issue as non-damages mods.

This. Like I counted in my video and mentioned above.

Time is different for everyone. It depends where you are located in the game, how quick your PC is to load and a few other factors. If time was taken out and movement taken in, which is only possible once fully loaded in, it would completely solve the issue. 

4 hours ago, [TUG] Aragon said:

As to @Glada_Laxen, I have to admit, that spawn was a really poor choice (I always try to make my quick-saves on the side of the road), but I can't put the blame on you for that as you expected a different outcome.

I usually try swerve off the road when I manually Quicksave. The save I used was an automatic save. 

Edited by Glada_Laxen
  • True Story 1

SHeDTix.png

So far there has been only one situation in which I made use of the Ghost Mode. I spawned on a parking spot between Oslo and Bergen where there is no NCZ. I was alone when I parked, and as I loaded the game again, there were a bunch of players parking, thus I was inside another truck and had to drive through another with Ghost Mode to be able to continue on my way.

Ghost Mode ended before I was free of the other trucks, but I was still able to go through and no trucks were flying around in the end.

Thus, I support @[TUG] Aragon's point as it is the easiest and safest solution to this problem.

And everyone, stop complaining about where @Glada_Laxen decided to park/create a quicksave, as it is obvious and can be seen in the video that they loaded an autosave of which one can't decide where they are created. Most of the time, you don't think about creating a quicksave and when someone totales your truck, it is already too late and autosaves are the only way to save your money and time. In the end, Ghost Mode was introduced based off this idea (because chances of spawning in other people are very low if you exit the game on the side of the road).

• Thanks 1
  • True Story 1

policeceptionsig.thumb.jpg.9ceaf39140d55cb4d0a6821e8ebbe3dd.jpg