2nd monitor from a laptop

tattytate

Question

11 answers to this question

Hello,

Do you have a PC and you want to use your laptop as a second monitor?

If yes, the VGA/DP/HDMI/ port located on the laptop is for output, meaning that it will take the image source from the laptop and it will be shown on the external display (This case it won't work).

If you have a laptop and you want to connect a monitor on it then you could use that monitor to extend, duplicate etc. but it is not recommended because if you extend it you extend your resolution at the same time in conclusion your game might be unplayable since the laptop is not that powerful to handle such tasks.

hMJFO9zCSCykTS_AHpi-cg.png

•Intel® Core™ i7-6850K •Asus ROG Strix X99 Gaming •Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB •Corsair Dominator® Platinum Series 32GB DDR4 3000MHz C15 •Samsung 970 PRO NVMe M.2 512GB •Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 
•Corsair HX1000i High-Performance ATX Power Supply •NZXT Kraken X72 •Coolermaster MasterCase H500M

PrototypeGR has right, if you only see HDMI it's only output otherwise you will see HDMI IN as HDMI OUT Ports.
[ST-E] mrhijden Say something that is also right, if you have only HDMI Out you can use Spacedesk if you have Windows 8 or 10.
For more information about Spacedesk you can look at: https://www.faqforge.com/windows/how-to-use-a-laptop-as-second-monitor-on-windows/

Edited by [DND]Bull[NL]

tmplogo.jpg

Spacedesk does the job but i don't know how well it works for gaming. It works over the local network which means, you must use a Ethernet cable to both devices to reduce the delay (if any), you must have a fast local network meaning your router must be 1Gbps for ideal speed (ideal but not necessary).

In general because we talk about real time gaming and not just simple use a research must be done before apply.

• Like 1
•Intel® Core™ i7-6850K •Asus ROG Strix X99 Gaming •Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB •Corsair Dominator® Platinum Series 32GB DDR4 3000MHz C15 •Samsung 970 PRO NVMe M.2 512GB •Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 
•Corsair HX1000i High-Performance ATX Power Supply •NZXT Kraken X72 •Coolermaster MasterCase H500M