Strobing Beacons for the Pilot Car?

Sanguinem Luna

Strobing Beacons for the Pilot Car  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a Strobing Beacon/Lightbar added to the Pilot Car?

• Yes
    • No (Why not?)

So, I didn't feel like this was something that was substantial enough to be a Suggestion/go into the Suggestions section of the Forum. I feel like this is more of a General Discussion and I more or less just have a question for the Mod Devs but also feel like the Community would want to discuss it.

The topic is on adding a Strobing Beacon/Lightbar for the Pilot Car. In the 1.29 Public Beta for ATS, SCS added new animations for beacons, currently only for AI (Police/Fire/EMS/Construction/Etc) that is a strobing animation, rather than rotating. And when the Specialized Transport DLC for ETS2 launches, the Pilot Vehicles will have these new strobing animations as well. Modders are already adding these new animations to their Beacon Mods so that we, the players, can use them as well (In Singleplayer).

And so, it begs the question of the MP Devs: Will the Pilot Car get a new Beacon/Lightbar that makes use of these new strobing animations? It would be nice to have as most Emergency/Warning lighting these days are strobing LEDs and it would also bring just a little bit more diversity to Multiplayer. Nowadays I rarely see rotating Beacons/Lightbars anymore IRL. They are still around, just not as common. I mostly see them on older Fire Engines and Volunteer Firefighters personal cars. The last vehicle I have seen to have a rotating Lightbar is one of my local Fire Department's Tankers and only because the truck is nearly 20 years old (Close to the age they replace their Fire Engines, so it won't be around much longer) when rotating Lightbars were so incredibly common.

I feel some other players, along with myself, would like to see a strobing Beacon/Lightbar for the Pilot Car. Bring it up to more modern times, now that SCS has created the animation and coding for it to be possible. What are everyone's thoughts? Would you like to see the Pilot Car get a strobing Beacon/Lightbar? Or would you rather the Pilot Car not get one and why so? I'm going to add a Poll to this topic so everyone can easily express interest/disinterest in the idea without needing to post a reply, if they don't want to.

To the Forum Mods/TMP Staff, if you feel that maybe this should actually be a Suggestion, lemme know and I'll post it as a Suggestion. I just made it a General Discussion Topic as I didn't feel like it was an important enough idea/feature that it should be treated as a Suggestion for MP. There are far more important things that deserve proper attention for Suggestions than a little thing like a new Pilot Car Beacon/Lightbar and I didn't want to waste the Devs/Forum Mods time by making a useless post in Suggestions since it was more or less just a question anyways.

And for any users who don't know/aren't sure of what I'm talking about when I say a strobing Beacon/Lightbar, this is what I'm talking about.

//SEIZURE WARNING! If You Have Epilepsy Or Are Prone To Seizures Caused By Flashing Lights, Do NOT Watch!\\

Spoiler

I'm neutral for this one 'cos I'm contented so far and you're basically having a query for the Devs if it would be possible to have an an aesthetic update for the pilot car.

It will look much better I guess, but I don't really drive the car these days.. so I'm not really affected if a change happens or not :)

Ex - GM & FM (S.E.A)

^ Yeah, I wasn't quite sure where a Question would go either, which led to me posting it in General Discussion. I know at one point, there was a Q&A section to the Forums, but IIRC it was just a limited time section of the Forums and that time appears to have passed. I don't post on the Forums very much, let alone create Topics, so I'm kinda noobish on creating Topics, lol. I did search the Forums real quick though to see if any Topic for this was made, but didn't find anything.

Also, thank you for making that video a spoiler. I always see other users doing that in their Topics/Posts, but I couldn't figure that out myself.

Spoiler

Saw the edit. Thank you @MettleMeat for showing me where that is. I'll try to keep that in mind for whenever I may need to use it in the future. :)

@ScaniaFan89 Our garbage/recycling trucks out here in the US don't even have lightbars, lol, so that's awesome to see. Over here in the US, they just have two really small flashing amber lights in the back. I wish our garbage/recycling services would take notes from you guys over in the UK, lol.

@David Edson Oh no. I hope that isn't the case. That would really suck if it was. Surely though, if they were removed from the Team, at least some other Team Member would know how to edit the car? Someone has to know because if the car ever gets broken by a game update, they'd have to fix it.

^ Yeah, you kinda have a point but even people in trucks use the Beacons/Lightbars the same way as most Pilot Car users do and it's really unfortunate. The biggest issue surrounding the games Beacons/Lightbars is that it hurts low-end and even some mid-range PC performance. Whether the Beacons/Lightbars rotate or strobe though, I (personally) don't think it makes much difference performance wise, since it's only an animation. As far as my limited knowledge goes of how the game works, to me, it's just a more visually appealing thing to have strobes rather than rotators. I could be wrong though and if I am wrong, if someone would like to correct me, that's totally okay. Because being proven wrong and being corrected is how we learn.

@ScaniaFan89 I've seen that video. It's a disgrace that anyone would ever impersonate such highly trained and important personnel like EMTs/Paramedics, Police or Fire. And yeah, same here. I only ever use them with oversize loads, dangerous cargo (Acid Tankers), when delivering to Roadworks or when stopped on the side of the road as an extra warning to other users.

I'm all for adding options, not forcing them. So if this becomes a thing (I really only care about it being possible on trucks, as I literally never use the car).... it should be added as another type of beacon, not replacing the current ones. 

You have never truly trucked unless you have trucked with a MAD COW!

^ I absolutely, wholeheartedly agree. Just like IRL, while strobing LED bars are more common now, there are still the occasional good ole fashioned rotators every now and then and users should still definitely have that same choice. If there can be three Police Beacon/Lightbar options, then surely there can be at least two Beacon/Lightbar options for the Pilot Ambers as rotators and strobing LED bars. :) 

^ TruckersMP won't use external mods so that unfortunately won't happen. :( I really wish they would though. There are some really good, small mods that would be great for TMP. But, if they allow one mod, they'd have to allow other mods and then the download size of TMP would be huge and not everyone exactly has great internet or good, fast-writing HDDs/SSDs.

There are now two really good Steam Workshop mods that add strobing beacons to the game. I know TMP will not use external mods. I'm not saying they should use these because I know TMP won't use them, but I wanted to bring them up as they're a great example of how awesome strobing beacons are compared to bland rotators. :P 

So, I threw together a short video showcasing them both on Vipers truck.

//SEIZURE WARNING! If You Have Epilepsy Or Are Prone To Seizures Caused By Flashing Lights, Do NOT Watch!\\

Additional warning for mild profanity in the form of text pop-ups during some parts of the video.

Spoiler

Yeah I quite like this one, especially when I come across an accident etc something that would light up a bit better than the current pilot strobe, even an option of a light bar without 'pilot' may even be quite interesting. 

What would be fantastic is if you were able to control the strobe pattern on the actual light bar itself. Whether it flashes outward or one side to another then back again, different patterns would be interesting for different situations. For example, if you could get a strobe to slide from one side of the light to the other dependent on the country you're in that could indicate for traffic to overtake when safe to do so? 

Come to think of it, it provides a bit more variety and options for users rather than everyone having the same traditional bar. Good suggestion!

Kind regards,

Matthew

^ Switchable patterns would be difficult to do but would be amazing. Likely something SCS would have to do in order for it to completely work but, I think determined modders may be able to do it via having multiple lightbars you can buy with specific patterns. Wouldn't be on-the-fly switching, but for different general patterns, it'd be great. Doing that, if even possible, for the Pilot Car though would be... Not likely. It'd likely increase the size of TMP's download if too many are added just to have different patterns and TMP has already said they don't want to make the download any larger. One additional lightbar should be fine, or if the size would be an issue with adding an additional lightbar, maybe replacing one of the Police lightbars is the way to go. I mean honestly... Why do Admins need 4 Police Lightbar options? They all basically only use either the small beacon or the one lightbar that got updated with the newer beacon properties from when SCS added Police to ETS2. The other two bars basically never get used now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SuliHD locked this topic

Archived