Experiencing kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

Warning Symbols

Suggestion Name: Warning Symbols in Player tag
Suggestion Description: Warning Symbol selection for your Player tag. Like [OVERSIZE LOAD] [HEAVY] [/!\] or [CONVOY] which should be big enough to read.
Any example images: Nope.
Why should it be added?: It'd allow to warn other players from heavy trailers or oversize loads. It could reduce crashs because players could already see it in TAB or near the player so he knows that there are slow vehicles. Its more likely cosmetic addon and not necessary. But i warn other players with the tag /!\ OVERSIZE /!\ but after that there's no space for G27 or REC or ITDLC-xx. Without this tag i had so many crashs, and after using the tag i reduced some crashes. I don't think this would be added but it would be cool from warning people.

Or atleast Warning Signs, but  warning signs are things for SCS software, and they didn't accepted it.

This is a good idea, however, because of distances etc, people won’t always see name tags unless they stare at the tab screen. Plus as others mentioned, you can easily type in “oversized” or “heavy” and select a colour. 

A cooler idea idea would be to segregate the tab menu when an option is selected, such as “oversized”. This will then change their name tag colour and distance visibility to allow other players more time to see larger loads as well as making it easier to see who is running what around you. Say you’re sat in traffic, you could see how many people have oversize loads ahead of you by looking at the tab menu and out of your window which can allow people to acccomodate these drivers.

I think it's an interesting idea, but I feel like this runs into the same problem that we experience with excessive lighting on trucks and vehicles. What I mean by that is: Because so many vehicles in trucks have over the top high beams and extreme amounts of emergency and warning Amber lights, and so many players have become accustomed to these things, that adding warning nameplates would simply cause the same reaction. Where has it may improve traffic collisions for a few days, in the long run people will become used to them and begin ignoring them once again.

909352999_role_RetiredTeamMember.png.778

1753152791_role_ReportModerator.png.19771713344466_role_GameModerator.png.6d5d141071312553_role_GameModeratorLeader.png.927432954_role_HumanResources.png.9c8e45

^

Surely, its a problem on Calais-Duisburg but for example, on the Bergen road or anywhere diffrent. Now due that the back tires of the trailer are rotating too, i feel like i need to warn overtakers or so.

And now due that I use the /!\OVERSIZE - Tag i don't have space for my ITDLC-EN tag. But i really feel like warning is important.

13 hours ago, Times_Zero said:

I'm not technically sure on my opinion, i mean its easy for people to type it in so others understand.

For example, last night i was taking something from Calais to Germany, at one point i passed a truck and a pilot car with their tags saying "Oversize load!"

I guess you found me. :P

6 hours ago, megadethsteve666 said:

This is a good idea, however, because of distances etc, people won’t always see name tags unless they stare at the tab screen. Plus as others mentioned, you can easily type in “oversized” or “heavy” and select a colour. 

A cooler idea idea would be to segregate the tab menu when an option is selected, such as “oversized”. This will then change their name tag colour and distance visibility to allow other players more time to see larger loads as well as making it easier to see who is running what around you. Say you’re sat in traffic, you could see how many people have oversize loads ahead of you by looking at the tab menu and out of your window which can allow people to acccomodate these drivers.

IMPROVEMENT IDEA: The Oversize Tag should be like changing colors. Example: from yellow to orange and from orange to red and... so other players will notice it more and we would still be able to use the normal player tag for REC or anything else.

9 hours ago, KmunBiene said:

^

Surely, its a problem on Calais-Duisburg but for example, on the Bergen road or anywhere diffrent. Now due that the back tires of the trailer are rotating too, i feel like i need to warn overtakers or so.

And now due that I use the /!\OVERSIZE - Tag i don't have space for my ITDLC-EN tag. But i really feel like warning is important.

IMPROVEMENT IDEA: The Oversize Tag should be like changing colors. Example: from yellow to orange and from orange to red and... so other players will notice it more and we would still be able to use the normal player tag for REC or anything else.

Nah, the guy with the "overside load" was Hungarian.

17 hours ago, KmunBiene said:

^

The issue is, that’s a lot of screen clutter, what with your actual name, your VTC tag AND then warning marker. Unless it can be made to alternate, so say you have your VTC tag or REC tag, when you enable the warning tag, instead of adding to the name tag, it just cycles every few seconds between your standard tag and warning tag. 

7 hours ago, Joao Rodrigues said:

Not all players have the visibility of player tags enabled. Consequently, they also will not see any warning symbols.

Still the latter majority run with tags on, especially for recording purposes, so the majority will see it. Besides it can always be implemented either in the tab menu too or be a constant marker that shows up even if you have player tags switched off. That way it can still be seen by all. Even better would be to incorporate roll signs on the back of legit convoy cars that follow oversized loads, alerting those trailing of what’s ahead. It’s not fool proof but as a basic aid that the larger population will see... besides, I would argue that if you have player names off that you should be more vigilant of what’s ahead of you and so therefore ramming into oversized loads or other such offences will carry a much heavier punishment than standard loads, that’ll also help.

8 hours ago, megadethsteve666 said:

[...]

besides, I would argue that if you have player names off that you should be more vigilant of what’s ahead of you and so therefore ramming into oversized loads or other such offences will carry a much heavier punishment than standard loads, that’ll also help.

Apparently, it escaped your attention that the visibility of tags and other information is not a requirement by the in-game rules.

Therefore, it must not be considered for the severity of penalty In the unlikely event of an accident.

From my experience, an excessive influence of information can become a great distraction from traffic events.

As for me, I am way more alert if the visibility of such information is deactivated, which eventually increases  road traffic safety.

• True Story 1

15 hours ago, Joao Rodrigues said:

Apparently, it escaped your attention that the visibility of tags and other information is not a requirement by the in-game rules.

Therefore, it must not be considered for the severity of penalty In the unlikely event of an accident.

From my experience, an excessive influence of information can become a great distraction from traffic events.

As for me, I am way more alert if the visibility of such information is deactivated, which eventually increases  road traffic safety.

Please don’t be so rude in future. It did not “escape my attention” as you so put it. It is you who doesn’t understand the cobtext of what I am saying. What I’m saying is that by all means, if you don’t have tags turned on AND if this idea was passed, then it falls upon YOUR responsibility to see and avoid incidents, especially incidents that having advanced player tag enabled would aid your response time. So therefore, there is no excuse for someone driving, without tags on especially, to cause an accident especially with oversized loads because ideally the rules should be made stricter for causing a collision in general and in special circumstances such as wide loads.

at the end of the day, what works for you, may not work for the vast majority because none of us are you, if you can play without tags on and can drive better that way, that’s your problem, but don’t let your personal “experience” sway an idea that may help those who don’t have the same setup or the same reaction times. I mean, I drive with tags on so that I can see who it is in front and behind me in case someone either brake checks or rams me I can immediately find them on the tab menu and write their I’d down for future reference. But I see this idea being useful on backroads where visibility ahead and behind is poor where a large load can easily go unnoticed until someone cuts a turn or speeds up behind, like I said, it’s not fool proof, but it’s a good starting point to be expanded upon and made safer and more useful.

@megadethsteve666,

thank you for your detailed reply.

Regarding responsibilities in road traffic, I agreed to follow the road traffic rules as it is part of the in-game rules.
As a reminder, the very first rule usually states something like the following (or similar):

• The participation in road traffic requires a constant caution and mutual consideration. Every road user must behave in such a way that noone else is harmed, endangered, hindered or harassed.

This always applies and is irrespective of player tags being enabled or not.

I therefore ask all of you to please take this principle to heart, as it ensures that you will always be a safe road traffic participant.

It will always grant safety independent of vehicle, cargo or player tags.

I do not say that this suggestion will not work for you or others.

I say, they are not relevant if we follow the basic rule stated above.

@Joao Rodrigues

thats fine to say. But most people do not listen or adhere to simple rules such as: 

stopping at intersections

stopping at red lights

maintaining lanes

maintaning proper speeds for road conditions...

the list literally ally goes on, so how can you expect people who don’t even know how to enter a fuel station from the correct side without ramming others, to follow a rule that requires mutual cooperation? 

IRL is different from a game, it’s extremely difficult to try and slap rules and regulations that fit real world standards, to a game that doesn’t share the same characteristics. It’s been my biggest concern with TMP since the beginning, trying to set real world standard guidelines around a Games simulated world is like trying to fit 10 inch tires and 20 inch tires, ain’t gonna work well. What TMP needs is to write its own laws and guidelines that fit to the games logic, not reality, especially when you mix people from multiple countries and ask them to follow one countries rules over what they know from their country, it doesn’t work well, hence why people don’t adhere to the rules. 

Its always a matter of perspective. To me, driving without tags on should make you more responsible for your actions and acknowledging distances and blind spots and if you cause an accident because the other person wasn’t seen, well that’s your responsibility as a driver and with no visual aid, that’s even more so. Whereas with tags on, you have no excuse either way, you wreck someone because you didn’t see them, that’s your fault, simple as, so really just in general, rules in terms of driving offences, need to be made stricter.

but anyone, more on topic, I like this idea more because it’s more of a aid that you can rely on as a visual marker, especially if it was visible while within say 300m of the oversized truck and is visible regaurdless of whether you have player tags on or off, that way you have 0 excuses for not knowing a oversized load is there. Rules regarding oversized loads should be stricter than standard loads because of their complexity, so if you ram an oversized, instead of say a 1 month ban, it’s a 3 month instantly, it’s the only way to make people wake up and pay attention to the road more is to make rules stricter and only take appeals that have proof that proves innocent definitively. 

Think of this visual marker as a virtual virtual set of pilot cars, one ahead, one behind, ingame we should have a marker that’s visible 300m around the vehicle, that simulates having a pilot car ahead and behind you warning traffic of the upcoming danger.

• 2 weeks later...

+1

As @Trigzd mentioned, it could be awesome to try, to see how it turns out. It could be useful.

1 hour ago, Martin357 said:

I'd go neutral with this one as it is NOT that complicated to change your tag.

Sounds like you didn't read the whole suggestion. Sometimes he drives with the tag /!\ OVERSIZE /!\, but then there isn't enough space to add "G27", "REC" or "ITDLC-xx" behind it:

On 31/10/2017 at 4:14 PM, KmunBiene said:

Why should it be added?: It'd allow to warn other players from heavy trailers or oversize loads. It could reduce crashs because players could already see it in TAB or near the player so he knows that there are slow vehicles. Its more likely cosmetic addon and not necessary. But i warn other players with the tag /!\ OVERSIZE /!\ but after that there's no space for G27 or REC or ITDLC-xx. Without this tag i had so many crashs, and after using the tag i reduced some crashes. I don't think this would be added but it would be cool from warning people.

Or atleast Warning Signs, but  warning signs are things for SCS software, and they didn't accepted it.

Edited by Mika L

KjhfSmo.jpg

11 hours ago, Mika L said:

Sounds like you didn't read the whole suggestion. Sometimes he drives with the tag /!\ OVERSIZE /!\, but then there isn't enough space to add "G27", "REC" or "ITDLC-xx" behind it:

I strongly doubt that information like used external devices or if a player records his journey are of any helpful use to other traffic participants.

• Upvote 1
  • True Story 1

On 14/11/2017 at 1:28 PM, Joao Rodrigues said:

I strongly doubt that information like used external devices or if a player records his journey are of any helpful use to other traffic participants.

"REC" can result in less people crashing into him, 'cause the intentional rammers don't wan't to get banned. Well, most of them won't. "ITDLC-xx" is used in the giveaway, but I agree that "G27" doesn't really matter. I don't understand why people shows what they're driving with. Just tell in chat if people asks..

KjhfSmo.jpg