Multimedia keys don't work (only in game)

Question

Hi. I always listen to music while driving, and I use the multimedia keys on my keyboard if I need to pause/skip a song and such while on the road. However, the keys stopped working now. They still work when I'm not in game or when I'm in a different game than ETS2. It appears that the game hijacks the keys while running.

Now, I must say, this might not be a problem with the TruckersMP launcher, since this still occurs in the original ETS2. I got a feature update for Windows yesterday, and that's when this problem started occurring, so there's a high chance that it is the cause. Still, I'm wondering if anyone here had the same problem and/or could suggest some solutions. Really, driving without control of your music sucks, especially if you're trying to listen to voice chat (come on, some people still use it) and you can't turn off your music.

So, does anyone have a solution? I'd really appreciate some help, thanks.

16 answers to this question

After rebooting my PC twice, it seems to have started working. I'll never give up AIMP for anything btw ;-;

If anyone else has this problem, just try to restart your system. Hope SCS fixes this soon. Thread can be closed

I haven't had the issue in MP but i know in SP since 1.28 came out for both ATS and ETS2 if i push play/pause it takes me to my garage screen if i push skip forward it activates my wipers and goes through the modes but it goes away in multiplayer so it could be the game or windows

4i21k0-5.png

22 hours ago, Pokeman said:

there are certain keys used in mp mainly: Y,X,F9,F11. Are any of these the keys you are using? you won't be able to use them as the function for the keys in mp will be prioritized over your multimedia uses 

No, I'm talking about multimedia keys. This is in the title. (The keys at the top of the keyboard, such as: volume control, play/pause, previous/next song, open e-mail etc.)

22 hours ago, Esteban59140 FR said:

Hello, @ViAik

It never happened to me, maybe it's because of your Windows update. Do you look on the Internet if someone has ever had this kind of problem?

Cdt, Esteban

I did, but since this is a brand-new update, I only find topics that are years old. No one seems to post or answer this problem anywhere, at least nowhere that Google could find it in.

22 hours ago, trucker dashcam said:

Try to uninstall the drivers for your keyboard sane reinstall them

This is definitely not a keyboard problem. As I already said, the keys work perfectly outside of ETS2.

21 hours ago, bryangullickson said:

I haven't had the issue in MP but i know in SP since 1.28 came out for both ATS and ETS2 if i push play/pause it takes me to my garage screen if i push skip forward it activates my wipers and goes through the modes but it goes away in multiplayer so it could be the game or windows

Have you looked into the key bindings? Looks like your multimedia keys might've been assigned to those functions for some reasons. If they're not there, then it's definitely a pretty serious bug that SCS should fix.

To be clear, this isn't a problem with me. I just looked through my settings and no multimedia keys are assigned to anything.

7 hours ago, RayRay5 said:

Can you please provide us a screenshot of your keyboard or at least tell us the manufacturer and model

Again, I'm 95% sure this isn't a problem with the keyboard since the keys work perfectly outside of ETS2 and the problem only takes effect while ETS2 is opened.

But sure, why not. My keyboard is pretty obscure, but it was a great deal - a $30 combo with a mouse and headphones, and the quality of all items is surprisingly good (they lasted for almost 2 years now).

The combo is called Sportsbot SS301. Image

@ViAik yes i looked through all my bindings even hit buttons on my wheel that are bound to the same stuff to see if it affected the media to see if windows was emulating those keybinds for some reason when i pushed media keys but nope and it's only if i hit play/pause and or skip forward the stop and skip back keys do not affect anything like i said doesnt affect MP Just SP

4i21k0-5.png

I'm not quite sure, are you trying to control in-game radio with your media keys or something else ex. Spotify?

Also if the keyboard comes with drivers make sure you run it as admin so it might gives priority to the keys while in-game.

•Intel® Core™ i7-6850K •Asus ROG Strix X99 Gaming •Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB •Corsair Dominator® Platinum Series 32GB DDR4 3000MHz C15 •Samsung 970 PRO NVMe M.2 512GB •Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 
•Corsair HX1000i High-Performance ATX Power Supply •NZXT Kraken X72 •Coolermaster MasterCase H500M

5 minutes ago, PrototypeGR said:

I'm not quite sure, are you trying to control in-game radio with your media keys or something else ex. Spotify?

My music player, yea, something like Spotify. It's called AIMP 4.

Run both AIMP4 and keyboard software (if any) as admin and try again.

•Intel® Core™ i7-6850K •Asus ROG Strix X99 Gaming •Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB •Corsair Dominator® Platinum Series 32GB DDR4 3000MHz C15 •Samsung 970 PRO NVMe M.2 512GB •Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 
•Corsair HX1000i High-Performance ATX Power Supply •NZXT Kraken X72 •Coolermaster MasterCase H500M

9 minutes ago, PrototypeGR said:

Run both AIMP4 and keyboard software (if any) as admin and try again.

I don't have any keyboard software, is there something I'm supposed to use?

I don't see any drivers available. Try to run AIMP 4 as admin and if that doesn't work try a different player.