My experience as a brand new ETS2 player

Vectorious

Hey, decided to start playing ETS2 and went straight into TruckersMP since it looked pretty fun. I've never played any games in the TruckSim series. My experience so far has been a little rough, though.

First off, I decided to take the most profitable job I could. This caused my game to crash on both attempts. I found this is due to a bug with the truck I decided to take the next most profitable job. I made it there, and enjoyed the gameplay very much. I attempted to back the trailer in with the +90xp option, but I found it pretty difficult, so I switched to the middle option. After dropping it off, I got a late penalty (+0 euros and +0 xp), and it said the delivery was 108,000 hours late, which I was told was a bug. Oh well... on to the next job. But the job list was empty, which I was told was also a bug. I restarted my game, and the job list is still empty. So far, my experience has just been a series of bugs that have made the game unplayable for me.

This experience has left me a little sad, especially as a developer after seeing that the mod is closed-source and the mod team is against the idea of ever making it open-source. I'd like to work on fixing these bugs!

The problem with ETS2 Multiplayer is that the ingame time on your profile is more or less completely independent from the time on the server. The time is always running on the server - even if you're offline. This is why your job will be too late if you quit MP during a job and then return several hours/days later.

Now, when you create a new profile, you pick up your job on on "day one", while the time on the server is far ahead. If you then proceed to deliver your cargo... well, you get the idea. The only solution is to trigger a so-called economy, you can do that via ETS2s console, or you can fast forward time simply by calling service (F7) or sleeping. Your job offers will expire and that will trigger an economy reset as well The problem is that at the beginning, you don't have an own truck, so you won't be able to get into the actual simulation to do the above mentioned things (except for the console economy reset I think) before picking up a job. The easiest solution to that problem is to (make a new profile), drive in singleplayer until you can afford your own truck and then head to the MP. Now, when you do an economy reset by fast-forwarding time, it may happen that your game freezes for a couple minutes. I honestly can't explain exactly why it does that since I'm not a developer and I'm only writing this from my own experience, but that's quite normal.

And after that, you won't have any problems, unless you don't play MP for a few months, or create a new profile.

I hope that somehow explained it. Again, I'm not a developer, so I can't guarantee you that everything I said is 100% correct.

Honestly, Multiplayer isnt the best for making money and starting your company. You might have to deal with trolls, rammers etc as well as the jobs issues you mentioned. Multiplayer is good on the other hand for having a fun drive with friends, or just doing a few random jobs and interacting with the community. My advice is to build your profile on single player to a point where you dont have to rely on each job to make money that you need. Then when you have a truck and your business set up, then you can have fun in MP without having to worry about jobs and money. 

Have fun out there ;)

Making money in multiplayer is fully possible, I have over 3 billion Euros on my profile with no hacks or cheats, and I made most of it in MP. I was about $400k in debt at one point, due to a similar situation as you. How I did it, I got a loan from the bank and bought my own truck. This eliminated me from having to do quick jobs, since they most of the time give you no profit because of the time difference between SP and MP. Plus, its a whole lot nice having your own wheels to travel around in. Started doing jobs, paing back the loan, and at the same time work towards buying another truck and hiring a driver in one of my garages. This driver will also earn you extra profit in the long run. But,  I made sure that I had enough money in my hands in case I needed to repair my truck, and things of that nature. I then bought more trucks and hired more drivers, to the point I am at now.

There are plenty of ways you can earn money and be successful in the games of ETS2 and ATS, and mine is just one way I did it. I think part of the fun in the game is choosing and planning out this method, and seeing how it works.

Best of luck to you, and enjoy your game. See you on the roads sometime. :) 

Thanks for the helpful advice guys, I'll definitely put it to use!

I was also trying to illuminate the fact that there are many bugs that exist which make the game very difficult for beginners, and most likely serve to sway new players away from the mod. The community being so helpful definitely makes things easier though.

Define bugs? Remember that this game is from SCS and is meant to be played in single player. The mod is a hack onto the single player game to make it work in Multiplayer so as far as I'm concerned, the multiplayer is really incredibly well done taking that into account. The dev has to poke into memory locations to read and write the location, speed, color, trailers, etc. of other players. I would never call that trivial ! You make it sound like you could "easily" fix what the dev has been tweaking for years. As for the job market "bug" it was explained in previous posts. 

Don't give up, this game is simply amazing and worth the little issues you might encounter. Just avoid the most busy places. 

@Sysgen From Wikipedia: "A software bug is an error, flaw, failure or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways." I'm assuming these crashes and roadblocks are not intended. I'm also assuming (and I may be wrong, since I haven't played single-player) that the mod introduces these bugs, and they don't exist in the base game.

I never said fixes would be easy or trivial. I don't think the mod development team is incompetent or incapable of fixing these bugs, and I understand that the mod is a large undertaking, but maybe the developers don't have enough time to work on these issues? That's why I find it unfortunate the mod isn't open-source, so more developers can contribute to fixing them. Is creating the best possible product not the goal? If the goal is only to get it to mostly work, then that's fine I guess.

And I do really like the idea, and what I've experienced of the implementation (aside from the bugs). I want the problems fixed *because* I like it.

I know what a bug is, I meant, please list the bugs aside from the economy bugs you've mentioned that are in the mod right now? Yes there is lag and desync but name me one online game that doesn't have any. I remember my Quake days, and lag was a common thing :)

The MP Client only has 1 dev, mwl4, that's it. No one else understands how this works. Making this open source would just split the community into multiple small groups and just kill what has been built here in my opinion. 

@Sysgen You seem to be straw-manning me pretty hard here. I never mentioned lag being an issue, so the fact that Quake has lag is irrelevant. I understand that other games may have problems as well, but we're not on the forum for other games. I like the mod, and appreciate the work of the developer. I'm simply trying to point out that there are a few bugs that I personally experienced in my short time playing that served to create roadblocks to me enjoying the game; and that these issues disproportionately affect new players, which are already a pretty volatile user group. I figured this was relevant information to the mod's community and staff.

I completely disagree with your point about open-sourcing the mod fracturing the community into extinction, but I'm not even here to advocate for open-sourcing the mod. The mod is closed-source for a reason I'm sure, and I doubt I could do any convincing.

If you are looking for a high-value load, Calais and Duisburg cities are not good places to take those types of trailers due to the really high population of the area as you might struggle to exit the depot due to the wide turn that you have to make to get out.

And here is some useful advice to reduce getting trolled: 

If your trailer takes you down C-D road, divert down to Liege and then follow A4 east and A45 north once you cross the border to access the A2 motorway, or follow A61 north (which becomes the A73 at the NL border), followed by A1 east to Osnabruck (which becomes the A30 at the border). Reverse either of those routes if going west to Calais. 

On 12/10/2017 at 10:25 PM, Vectorious said:

@Sysgen You seem to be straw-manning me pretty hard here. I never mentioned lag being an issue, so the fact that Quake has lag is irrelevant. I understand that other games may have problems as well, but we're not on the forum for other games. I like the mod, and appreciate the work of the developer. I'm simply trying to point out that there are a few bugs that I personally experienced in my short time playing that served to create roadblocks to me enjoying the game; and that these issues disproportionately affect new players, which are already a pretty volatile user group. I figured this was relevant information to the mod's community and staff.

I completely disagree with your point about open-sourcing the mod fracturing the community into extinction, but I'm not even here to advocate for open-sourcing the mod. The mod is closed-source for a reason I'm sure, and I doubt I could do any convincing.

Bro... you're new here. The MP mod is not linked to the SCS company. They have no support, no fund raising, nothing.They work their minds out to make this game better and better. They made HUGE improvements the past year on this mod. Please don't question them. You can submit a post on the suggestions area, and see what they say, and thats it. Don't question the team. Let them work their own way.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived