Collision detection in non-collision zones between colliding and non-colliding vehicles

Rincewind

Suggestion Name: Collision vs Non-collision handling

Suggestion Description: I think that the collision of trucks outside of non-collision zones with trucks inside non-collision zones can be improved to help with the chaos in front of these zones, and the incapability of players to form a queue for entering and exiting such zones. Especially for company areas where trucks drive onto the parking dialog field and stop, with their trailer still reaching out of the zone.

Currently non-collision only works for trucks within the zone, as trucks outside of the zone still collide with those that have no collision, which sounds like a paradox in itself. It would be helpful if all truck were unable to collide with trucks in a non-collision area.

I am aware of the gameplay setting of always choosing a delivery spot automatically, but it seems that most players do not know of this option and so every time someone drives onto a company area to deliver their trailer they will block all other players from entering until they've picked their spot and accelerated again. This causes an unnecessary line and people start overtaking while others are trying to exit and suddenly you have Calais-like traffic for no good reason.

If you'd like an example of such situations you just have to watch a random Idiots on the road, there's always at least one clip of trucks flipping and stuff because they collide with trucks that are inside the non-collision area.

Any example images:

non-collision.png.a5aa0346e5f8bfa8aac5ff8ee9ae05b7.png

As you can see on this image, truck A is standing on the delivery/pickup dialog trigger (white square) inside the non-collision zone, and is therefore in non-collision mode. However if truck B tried to drive onto the area, it would be blocked by the trailer of truck A, because truck B is not in non-collision mode yet. Instead truck B should be unable to collide with truck A in this situation.

The same is true for exiting. Often a truck leaves the non-collision zone but the trailer is still partially inside the non-collision zone. Many players do not realise the implications and queue up touching (or being inside) the trailer, which usually results in flipping the truck that is currently leaving, even tho the truck that causes the flip is still inside the non-collision area.

And too often does truck C think that truck B is stupid or something and tries to overtake which results in even worse situations.

Why should it be added?:

Take this suggestion as a follow-up improvement of this one:

Extending the non-collision zones would not help this situation at all, the problem would still be the same, but just move to somewhere else. Instead I am positive that if collision detection is changed, it would make entering and exiting non-collision areas much less frustrating and less prone to bad drivers.

Edited by Rincewind
added '(white square)' to clarify the trigger zone; grammar; delivery spot instead of parking spot; example video suggestion; Why does [X] Show that the message has been edited untick itself on edit >.<; fixed image (missing front turn idicator)
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 9/22/2017 at 5:55 AM, darkshadow914 said:

I like it! Hopefully it's not too hard to implement. 

I fear that the way it is implemented right now is the only way it works, by design. I did not think a lot about this but it may be that the non-collision flag is something that only works on a client, and only on the truck of the corresponding client (self), meaning it may not be able to mark other entities as non-collision. Since currently when you're in the non-collision zone you have absolutely no collisions, and as soon as you leave you have all collisions, it seems to be how it's handled right now. This change would require the mod to be able to set an entity ( truck A ) to non-collision on your client ( truck B ) but not your truck itself, there's a big chance of it not being possible. I'm excited to hear what a developer can tell us about that.

On 9/23/2017 at 11:03 AM, slushbro said:

Could it be fixed if the system sets the whole truck with the trailer in the no collision mode not depending on the no collision area?

Do you mean that the truck should be no collision as long as the trailer still touches the non-collision zone? That would be a good solution for the problem with exiting trucks being flipped, but it would still leave the trucks entering completely in collision zone and unable to enter. If the problem described above really is an issue then this may at least be a good alternative to help a little with the exiting issues.

On 9/23/2017 at 3:36 PM, coolbub123 said:

+1 this would definitely help with double trailers and service stations.

Funny, I've totally not thought about this since I don't drive a lot in Scandinavia, the issue must be twice as prevalent over there than it's in central Europe? I think this would be a necessary change even only for the double trailers; good point!

19 hours ago, dolphinxplorer said:

I feel like there is still going to be an issue with collisions because the problem will just keep expanding outside of the delivery

I'm not sure I follow your thoughts, the issue outside of the delivery will still be the same, nothing will change there. If you enter or exit, people outside of the zone are still unaffected and have the same collision. But people trying to enter or leave are not being blocked or glitch-flipped anymore by people that are inside the zone.

If I've misunderstood you and you mean some other problem case that expands outside of the delivery zone, please elaborate.

^

Based on your graphic, truck B would have to be marked as non-collision to enter the zone at all, given the fact that truck A is partially outside the zone (the exact issue you are describing). My comment was that if truck B is marked as non-collision, and only partially enters the zone (much less than truck A is in your graphic), truck C would have to be marked as non-collision so that it could enter the zone. As you can see, down the convoy line, each truck would have to be marked as non-collision, effectively doing nothing.

I think I now understand it that you would like to see trucks marked as non-collision (truck A) not collide with any other truck (B and C), regardless of the secondary truck's collision status or zone. It will be interesting to see if it can be done without marking truck B as non-collision, which leads back to my original comment

Edited by MettleMeat
Removed unnecessary quotation. Use ^ or tag the person in future for responding to whole posts above.

Your latest understanding of my suggestion is correct.

I also think that this may be an issue for implementation as I don't know why the system is currently as it is. I suppose for one it could be simplicity ("I'm in non-collision so I do not collide" over "All these trucks are in non-collision so I do not collide with them") or it could be a limitation of the engine (Either you collide with every entity, or you collide with no entity, no in-betweens). The implementation would require all trucks (in the area) to know which trucks are in non-collision mode and which aren't. I think that currently no client knows this information about other trucks. It would have to become a property of truck entities so that other truck entities can use it to decide on collision.

Edited by Rincewind
final -> latest

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Correct me if I'm wrong but the problem that I described doesn't exist anymore? I've noticed that if you're "inside" someone and they become solid, they then start to blink for you and you won't collide until you're not "inside" them anymore.

It's much nicer now and I haven't had the problem of flipping someone who's exiting a station or being flipped by someone inside.

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

Yes, your suggestion has been implemented in the game. If one's truck is in the NCZ, then their trailer will also be NCZ as well. (Although, some people still are unaware of this and wait patiently in line when they could be moving through the person in front of them's trailer)...

In that sense, I will be marking this suggestion as accepted.

Regards.

• Thanks 1

signature2019.png.8d2d82f1f80e57ce817e965f0bdde2eb.png

Signature made by Aestrial

• 5 months later...