Experiencing kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

In-game report record save option

Suggestion Name:

In-game report record save option

Suggestion Description:

An option to save in-game report records on your local HDD for future usage, in case an administrator does not claim the report within the time period of ten (10) minutes.

Any example images:

N/A

Why should it be added?:

The recently updated in-game report system capture a two (2) minutes period of the vehicles movement.

If it is not claimed within ten (10) minutes by an administrator, the record will be deleted.

Unfortunately, players do not know if their in-game report will be claimed in time, and run the risk to lose valuable proof.

The option to save the record on your local HDD enables the user to save the proof and use it for website reports.

Furthermore, users of low-end computer systems  who cannot use third-party or hardware-sided recording tools, would be given the chance to record incidents.

Edited by Joao Rodrigues
28-AUG-17: Added "on your local HDD"
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

This would be a good idea but I have a question.

Is this function alway on or do you can turn it off?

If the record is saved on your computer this would be also a problem for low spec computer system due to the fact that the system now have to record the whole time.

But if the user can decide himself if he wants to enable this or not it would be a good idea.

PS:

Anriandor solltest du das lesen, wovon ich ausgehe, soll ich dich kontaktieren was etwas schwer ist.

• Thanks 1

@slushbro

It is supposed to be an option.
If the in-game report has not been claimed in time, the player decides to save it to his/ her computer for further processing (website reports).

You have a good point:

I thought of the in-game report being converted to a file format that can be downloaded. Maybe an additional converter will be necessary though.

I agree with the TO! Not everybody has a high end PC as the required specs of the game are not very high. In this case these people cannot use any external recording software and maybe don't even have video editing skills, to cut a video short as the max. allowed lenght is 4mins if I'm not wrong.

If the server saves the record anyway, why not provide an option to either download/save it to your local computer or provide a link to the record in your report (if assigned to profile id).

• Like 1

+1 great idea imo, eases out the whole process of recording/pinfo/report/web report for us avid reporters so I'm all in if this is possible. 

I would give rep out as usual for your suggestion.. but seems like the forums feature hasn't been brought back for posts.. .. ... ... ... ... .

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Ex - GM & FM (S.E.A)

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice for this function to be available. However in order for this report to be sent to your HDD like you said it would have to be downloaded from the server. if a lot of users make the request to download a clip it could cause stress / a lot of load on the servers. But then again I might be wrong. And would love if a function like this could be made available to us.

However, if this was to be added there would be a very large influx of reports for the IGA's

its very two sided, but its a good idea if its possible.

• Thanks 1

iHobbit | Report Moderator

"You are entitled to food, clothing, shelter and medical attention. Anything else that you get is a privilege"

~USP Alcatraz

Game Reports <> Ban Appeals  <> Support <> Feedback <> Recruitment <> Game Rules >

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

+1

This idea would be quite beneficial and helpful. Maybe it could be implemented like the Screenshot Steam screen? Like an end screen with the report you made and want to save and the ones to delete and such.

• Thanks 1

-1 This could be a security issue, if you want a feature like this, just install Shadow Play (At least if you're using a nVidia GPU)

Otherwise, use OBS to record, you can set it to quite low quality, as long as everything is readable and the situation is visible there should be no problem.

At least, in my opinion, there is no need for TruckersMP to do this, this should be your job, to make evidence.

I am clearly against a Video Recording feature, the new demo system mentioned above (GIMIcze's Post) and below should be enough.

mentioned Demo System: 

reply to,

On 10.9.2017 at 7:11 PM, iHobbit said:

It would be nice for this function to be available. However in order for this report to be sent to your HDD like you said it would have to be downloaded from the server. if a lot of users make the request to download a clip it could cause stress / a lot of load on the servers. But then again I might be wrong. And would love if a function like this could be made available to us.

However, if this was to be added there would be a very large influx of reports for the IGA's

its very two sided, but its a good idea if its possible.

Such a System would be Client Sided, having this on the Servers would be pretty pointless, since you would need the Server to render a client for every User. Let's say, it is impossible, at least with the current Hardware.

greetings, Nexus.

Edited by NexusDE

• 2 weeks later...

Why would this be a security issue? I'd like to hear the explanation for the security issue.

As the server creates a small video file of the last few minutes anyway, it has already been rendered/created so there is no further action required from the server, apart from providing this rendered/created video file to be downloaded. With a bit of communication, it could also be enhanced by downloading the rendered/created video file straight away onto the users computer automatically. For users with high end pc's or for the ones who use their own video capturing software anyway, they could implement a new tick box in the settings, so that these users can turn off the function of automatically downloading the video file from the server.

It's no rocket science to program this at all and shouldn't also take too long to implement this feature.

Regarding who's job it is, this is quite debatable in my opinion. Why you might ask. Well if TruckersMP saves a video file upon reporting someone ingame anyway, why not provide the user who reported the other player, with the evidence created by the server. There may be a demo system but what purpose does it serve the user, if the report has not been claimed for 10 minutes. If it is being stored even after it timed out, it'd be nice to at least get the report number, so that if you have to report the player via the web reporting system, you could add the ingame report number.

As this may take more time for the supporter/admin who deals with that report, the idea of downloading the demo/video file is the easiest as this could be attached to the web report and the supporter/admin has to view only this report.

• Thanks 1

The demo is not a video file, it's a "file" (likely not even a file but an object) that contains info about the user you reported and movement data of all players involved in the situation. The system uses this data to recreate the situation.

If it actually would be a mp4 file or something similar, then you'd probably already had the chance to download it. But since it's not a video file, you can't download it.

• Thanks 1

Scar | Retired Legend

You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.

Banned: HELP! - Report a player - Help - Rules - Staff recruitment - Complaints/feedback

^

Thanks for the insight! That's actually what we all were waiting for. Is there any way to tell, for how long this "demo data" is being stored on the server? If it's being stored long enough and doesn't use too much space and if it's somehow linkable to the person who reported the other player, would it be possible to provide this info while reporting via the web report system? Could look like a drop down menu where the name contains the player id of both players as well as a timestamp. The only thing the player has to do, would be to write down the time/date when he reported ingame or maybe create a screenshot at the time of reporting ingame.

This way the demo data doesn't have to be shared publicly (downloaded) and would be available for web reporting in case the report hasn't been picked up ingame (10 min timeframe)

Programming things is not too hard, the hardest part is to come up with a suitable idea of how it works at the end.

Edited by Anriandor
Removed unnecessary quotation.

At the end, almost everything is possible somehow. It's just not sure if we really want to invest such time in making this possible.

My goal, and the goal of this mod, is to give players an enjoyable experience in-game. Ultimately, getting all reports handled in-game is the best as this directly changes situations in the game. The time we could spend on making this system could be used to improve the in-game reporting system. We've got some ideas that will improve things for sure. But as everything else, it takes time to get everything properly working. 

Don't get me wrong, if such a thing can improve your experience while reporting people on the website, we can consider it. But putting the focus on the in-game aspect of report is much more important to us, as this will affect most player directly.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Scar | Retired Legend

You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.

Banned: HELP! - Report a player - Help - Rules - Staff recruitment - Complaints/feedback

I totally agree with you on the ingame reporting subject! It's already a good thing to have something like the ingame reporting system but as the admins do it in their spare time, there is not always someone on or too few to handle the income. Not moaning about the lack of online admins, just saying it's not their main job and that the reports can sometimes get a bit overwhelming, especially if there are quite a few false reports. I guess these are the most annoying ones as it wastes the time of an admin, who could've dealt with a more serious report at that time.

Me personally, I'm quite excited what these ideas are and am looking forward to see what's coming in the next releases and keep my thumbs up for you guys and your work you have done so far!

• Like 1

On 23.11.2017 at 9:35 AM, HigH_HawK said:

Why would this be a security issue? I'd like to hear the explanation for the security issue.

As the server creates a small video file of the last few minutes anyway, it has already been rendered/created so there is no further action required from the server, apart from providing this rendered/created video file to be downloaded. With a bit of communication, it could also be enhanced by downloading the rendered/created video file straight away onto the users computer automatically. For users with high end pc's or for the ones who use their own video capturing software anyway, they could implement a new tick box in the settings, so that these users can turn off the function of automatically downloading the video file from the server.

It's no rocket science to program this at all and shouldn't also take too long to implement this feature.

Regarding who's job it is, this is quite debatable in my opinion. Why you might ask. Well if TruckersMP saves a video file upon reporting someone ingame anyway, why not provide the user who reported the other player, with the evidence created by the server. There may be a demo system but what purpose does it serve the user, if the report has not been claimed for 10 minutes. If it is being stored even after it timed out, it'd be nice to at least get the report number, so that if you have to report the player via the web reporting system, you could add the ingame report number.

As this may take more time for the supporter/admin who deals with that report, the idea of downloading the demo/video file is the easiest as this could be attached to the web report and the supporter/admin has to view only this report.

How to start this...

Well, I hope you know, that the Server itself is not rendering the game, why should it?

Rendering the Client at every single User on the Serverside would be ridiculous, there are like 3000 Players on EU2 almost all the time, You do not have the space to store that much Video footage, and you would need to render and record for every single user, how the heck do you want to do that with current, not totally overpriced hardware?

Now, let's target the Security Issue.

First of all, I would like to disclaim, that I do not believe, that the Developers of TruckersMP are not capable of doing something like this secure and functional, the issue is, that Security-Holes are (in most cases) not intentional, and everybody makes mistakes or forgets something.

We need to get on Context now, I've written, that such a Recording System couldn't be done at the current time on the current Hardware, and even if, then it would be really inefficient. (Reasons mentioned above)

IF such a Video recording software would be implemented Clientside, this would cause a large issue, if there would be a way for 3rd Party applications to access it. It could be used to spy on our Activities by 3rds.

I've tried to keep it simple, I hope this cleared up, why I am against such Video recordings on the Client Side. If you want to record, just get a recording Programm, why should TruckersMP even bother about this in the first place?

btw. @scarface0359 is it just me, or are Report Tickets on your Website not getting answered anymore due to the better in-game report System?

It is really disappointing, since "back then" reports got covered within max. 2 Days.

greetings from Germany. :)

Edited by NexusDE

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.