A simple, one-time traffic rules test, in order to be connected with the server.

LiudvikasLTU

I have to give this idea a mixed voted because the principle is cool and would really add to the whole premise of the game, but there is a lot of room for error and issues.

firstly, unless a user is asked general knowledge questions, not country/state/county/province specific questions, then it would work, but if you ask a question about a specific traffic rule for a specific country, then unless you are familiar with the country and road rules, then its biased, so really, all questions have to be based upon rules that are known in most countries.

secondly, unless there is a strict rule that is put In place where the user will be temporarily removed from playing if they answer incorrectly, otherwise, anyone can open a wiki page and find the answer in a few seconds without really thinking about it.

thirdly, what sort of impact would  this sort of system have? Is it to reduce trolls? Make roads safer? 

Also, it's hard to base a test for a virtual world on real world statistics, the best way would be to compile a rule book and questions based upon the VIRTUAL world and not the real world, with a crib sheet and fact file accessible on this website where people can read up on the rules of the virtual roads and what each sign means and what each road marking is there for. That would take this idea to the next level and make it more appealing for use in TMP.

Edited by DerAmpelmann
Removed unnecessary long quotation. If you're not referring to any of the replies, it's assumed you are replying to the first post. Hence no need to quote it.

I understand that people want to have fun on the servers, and so I think in my opinion that the traffic rules test should be only be applied to the speed-limited server (EU1) because EU1 is where professional truckers come and play. However the problem with my suggestion is that this is going to result in an overload of players on EU2 and EU3, and players will be able to cheat, so they should have the full screen forced during the test as another potential addition, just like at the theory test centres where I live in the UK. 

If this was implemented you could have also three different types of licences (progression requiring more advanced testing) for MP-wide implementation - Foundation (blue), Intermediate (green) and Full (golden), with the full licence also allowing access to EU1 and the intermediate allowing access to EU3. +0 due to the potential trolling that could still remain, though. 

On 8/14/2017 at 4:08 PM, Spyder - Truckers.FM said:

-1 ... ETS2 and ATS are sold as games and not as a real life driving test.... if someone buys the game and fails the test due to being too young to actually drive in real life and not know the actual road laws, then how can they be sold as games?

I understand what you are trying to say, but you must remember, there is the eliment of "FUN" that is designed behind the idea of every simulator... This would take the fun out of it for everyone and would turn it into "Truck Driving Test Simulator"...

just because they understand the road rules does not mean they will follow them once they have passed this "test"...

ETS2 is bought as game, Multiplayer is not! they can do it. 

PS: 1   + 

SAY STOP TO RACISM !!!!

Romanian people are people just like you !

• 3 weeks later...

The general idea is great. However from my experience there are several types of drivers. Theese are just some examples without any claim to completeness:

There are drivers that are eager to follow traffic rules and inform themselves about specific rules in each country. They might stop at each red light and stop sign even though no other players are around.

Then there are players who generally just want to play but don´t know all the signs and rules, maybe because they are too young, maybe because they don´t have a drivers licens or maybe just because they are foreigners in the country they are driving in. They still might want to learn the rules but their primary goal is to play the game.

There also are some drivers who want to have fun for themselves but don´t think about the consequences for others. They might overtake you with high speed with a double just because they can but then you see them again in the next corner or crossing crashed into the crash barrier.

Let´s not talk about the intentional trolls, you can´t educate them with a driving test (imho).

Now since as already mentioned we are talking about a game, I don´t think that a mandatory driving test would be necessary or appropriate. Just one scenario as an example: Your friend wants to play with you on MP, you never did it before. Your friend is waiting for you to get multiplayer ready but you still have to do this driving test. Well I guess most people would look up the solution just to speed things up.

TLDR:

From my experience most people are banned for ramming, inappropriate overtaking, wrong way, reckless driving in general. Most of them have to learn it the hard way by being banned. There is a principle in psychology called teachable moments. When you feel the pain you are much more receptive for lessons.

My conclusion is that maybe an optional video tutorial on youtube on how to drive proactively and safely including traffic signs, merging into traffic on junctions and overtaking (maybe also the MP rules) would be more appropriate. As for an incentive I would hide some key words in the video and add the possibility to cut down ban time if you appeal your ban and answer with the correct passphrase obtained by watching the videos.

You still could look up the answers but you would reach players who are actually interested in rules and traffic signs and some of those who were recently banned and want to avoid future bans.

A tutorial, video based or on the forums, might be much easier to set up than a driving test.

P.S.: There are lots of great tutorials on the forums aswell for those interested e.g. for safe overtaking and being overtaken or the one for US signs and rules.

It may be as easy make this test, but its better as an incentive. Maybe could put a special icon for whoever completes those tests. It can be done in the launcher in a kind of "task" tab, and this you save on your profile, so, if you take the tests (complete the achievement), you get a "driver's license icon" side on your name (or profile/wharever). So when you put your tires on the road, and the other players see you passed the test hehe, and this encourages them to do that too.

Hayran thanks for your contribution. I just had another idea due to your input. Not sure how much work it would be. Still I think a test regardless whether videos, tutorials or any other form, should be optional. One way of incentive would be to unlock features in the TAB menu or restrict the optional player tags or the tag colors to players that have passed the test. Or maybe add a special character like a star or something to the player tag.

Something to consider is that tags might lead to prejudice, one way or the other. Players who have passed the test might still be bad drivers and vice versa.

• Upvote 1

I think this can be good in some ways but not others. As many people have suggested, there are many people who do not know the road laws, signs and signals because they don't drive IRL, also, It's supposed to be a game and a lot of people won't want to complete a test to drive around for a bit. (This might not be correct but bear with me), It's also Euro truck simulator and not all the road signs will be the same, especially when switching from the UK, where you drive on the left side of the road, to the rest of the EU, where you drive on the right-hand side of the road, because the road laws will change. 

Overall, I am in the middle because it shouldn't be used on servers such as EU 2 because a lot of people use them servers just have a quick drive around, myself included, and would not like to take a test for them. But it could be thought about in other servers where no cars and limiters are in effect to make it a safer place to drive. 

Matthew Prestwood,

Freelance Website Developer

matthewstridgen.co.uk

Yes it teaches people about road rules, how to drive properly, etc.

But what about the aspects of the game where obeying the rules is just unrealistic. Like running red lights, for example. Almost everyone knows not to run red lights, so should you add it in the test while almost every player would still run red lights because there's no one around?

Maybe an interactive version would work. E.g a "tutorial" on how to drive in the context TMP,  but imo this suggestion is low priority and that's a lot of work to be done.

image.png.701b87940b373cd99b50f1c9c3c76cb6.png

Are you serious??? Still 350ms ping in-game???

Its just wont work.

It wont matter if you are aware of the road rules or not it wont all of a sudden magically cause all the mayhem and carnage to just disappear on MP, people will do what they need to do to get online then they will just run the stop signs, drive wrong way and in general after passing said test because a % of people just plain wont follow the rules.

As much as we might all hope for it unfortunately there is no such thing as a perfect community where everyone behaves themselves and follows the rules.

A little late to the party, but a -1 from me. As well as there are adults that play this game, there are also children who may not know any traffic rules aside from the basic stop at red lights, go at green lights, and indicate. I myself am 14, and although I know enough to safely drive in this game (like how roundabouts work and what each type of line(s) on the road mean) I definitely don't know signs like the one in your example photo.

As well as that, this game has players from all around the world. Traffic laws in one place can be drastically different from European laws, or very similar. It all varies. Not everybody's in Europe.

Just my two cents. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Already suggested by me, rejected.

I already suggested something like that, that an register is only possible at these questions.

Admin said clearly that Users just could go to the internet and type this question and you got the answer. So it is useless.

Hello,

As I said before I joined the team:

On 9-8-2017 at 11:49 PM, ThatCrazyPillow said:

I suggest you use the search function before you suggest something.

Anyways, I don't think this is needed. If people would have to do a driving test everytime they login, they would get bored of it real fast and will stop playing the game eventually.

Similar things like this one have been suggested and rejected already.

Rejected.

tfmpillow | Retired Team Member

Rules | Recruitment | Support | Feedback | Meet the Team | Guides | Suggestions

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.