Change or Remove the AFK kicking system

Ryan2233

1 minute ago, CentralProcessingCat said:

The AFK kick timer is 10 minutes, if you continue to have this problem try to make a recording with a stopwatch on screen then report it in bugs

I would give you a 1+ rep for this. But I have reached max 10

tosay. But yeah this is the best answer. To prevent further drama I would lock it but meh. I'll leave it to the mods. 

^

They still have to make a profile so they all use it once. Just stop 

Edited by DerAmpelmann
Removed unnecessary quote. Please refer to the previous post with "^" or tag (@) the poster.

I've used Intel HD Graphics on a Pentium ultrabook before (Quite shameful, I know :P) and always had 10 minutes AFK kick, so I'd probably get yourself a recording of your gameplay to show your issue otherwise I don't think specs are the issue.

And the AFK kick is quite vital for MP otherwise people will just stay on for hours, possibly without noticing that they haven't quit the game taking up server slots that are needed for everybody else trying to join the server, that wouldn't be good at all

What if, for example, the server is below X percent of capacity then the AFK timer is raised/removed, then if it goes above X percent capacity then it's reinstated to the existing 10 minutes?

Edited by heyhococo
Added other suggestion

@Blazie Both sides have a proper argument, you're correct because if you make a TMP account you'll use the same account to log into the forums. The other 2 users are correct because not everyone who has a TMP account will actually USE the forums. For example, your forum join date is almost 1 month after you created your TMP account, you played TMP for 1 month without using the forums. I have a friend who hasn't even logged into the forums, yet he made his TMP account almost 2 years ago. Just because you have a TMP account doesn't mean you'll actually use the forums, that's what they're trying to say.

21 minutes ago, Blazie said:

They still have to make a profile so they all use it once. Just stop 

Although here, if you mean they need to make a forum profile for whatever reason then you're incorrect, players are not forced to make a forum account, it's all up to the user. 

OP, this suggestion was already posted 20 hours ago... on the same page this thread is posted on... Anyway +1 for some sort of change. I don't like walking away from my game to find I was kicked from the server, especially on ATS where the AFK timer should be disabled. Although, I have never had an issue with a late load when I logged back into the server, so either you're grabbing a load with a quick delivery window or you're doing something wrong on your end to get a late load. Also the AFK timer is 10 minutes as others have said, there has been times I've gotten up from my PC for 6 minutes and came back and was still logged in. So once again something is wrong on your end for that as well. 

For a AFK timer change I would like to see either:

1. The AFK timer disabled until the server reaches 75% capacity, although users say this causes lag so it might not be that good of an idea.
  2. When you get kicked from the game kick the user back to the TMP login screen. 

^

I disagree with this. 75% capacity or not, AFK players cause unnecessary lag, which sucks for people without good computers. If you don't want to get kicked, move just 1cm forward and the AFK timer will reset. The 2nd one is a good idea tho

Edited by DerAmpelmann
Removed unnecessary quote. Please refer to the previous post with "^" or tag (@) the poster.

-1 for me 

Change or remove afk system isn't the solution, I think 10 minutes for be AFK is sufficient and if you are afk for 30 minutes or more, you are in a server full and 10 or 20 or a lot of players want to join the servers full, you take a slot for nothing =/ 

First of all, thank you sko0923 for linking my thread and I hope people will come and discuss my suggestion.

On 7/12/2017 at 3:08 PM, JonathanGJM said:

I disagree with this. 75% capacity or not, AFK players cause unnecessary lag, which sucks for people without good computers. If you don't want to get kicked, move just 1cm forward and the AFK timer will reset. The 2nd one is a good idea tho

I am honestly baffled with this reasoning. You say afk players causes lag and then proceed to give tips how to not get kicked while being afk. A lot of players also bypasses the kick by typing every once in a while in chat and yet they aren't punished for it. If this is allowable, then why not go ahead and cut out the unnecessary inconvenience and allow indefinite afk if the server load is low?

Seriously, the suggestion forums seem to be filled with people who downvotes suggestions because they personally dislike or don't care about it instead of being objective and considering its benefit vs disadvantages. Just an observation.

7 hours ago, GKilat said:

First of all, thank you sko0923 for linking my thread and I hope people will come and discuss my suggestion.

I am honestly baffled with this reasoning. You say afk players causes lag and then proceed to give tips how to not get kicked while being afk. A lot of players also bypasses the kick by typing every once in a while in chat and yet they aren't punished for it. If this is allowable, then why not go ahead and cut out the unnecessary inconvenience and allow indefinite afk if the server load is low?

Seriously, the suggestion forums seem to be filled with people who downvotes suggestions because they personally dislike or don't care about it instead of being objective and considering its benefit vs disadvantages. Just an observation.

Because they will still cause lag, no matter the amount of server load. also, blockers can just block the road with their trailer, go downstairs, and do their thing, without having to do anything. If you are going to do something that will take longer than 10 minutes, just leave the server. If you dont really know, stay. the AFK system will do it's work. If you just need a little more than 10 minutes, I think it's okay to move a little bit to reset the timer, atleast if you don't use all 10 minutes again, since you have to restart the whole game again to just rejoin, which is not fun for people w/o a very fast computer.

10 hours ago, JonathanGJM said:

Because they will still cause lag, no matter the amount of server load. also, blockers can just block the road with their trailer, go downstairs, and do their thing, without having to do anything. If you are going to do something that will take longer than 10 minutes, just leave the server. If you dont really know, stay. the AFK system will do it's work. If you just need a little more than 10 minutes, I think it's okay to move a little bit to reset the timer, atleast if you don't use all 10 minutes again, since you have to restart the whole game again to just rejoin, which is not fun for people w/o a very fast computer.

Lag isn't avoidable because whether you are playing or afking you will cause lag. If you hate lag then simply stay away from crowded places. In fact, you could argue people deliberately creating traffic jam in C-D are guilty of creating unnecessary lag and should be punished. Second, what Trucking Gekco failed to include in the suggestion is for the indefinite afk to only apply to parking spot so you can't block in the middle of the road and afk because normal afk rules still applies on the middle of the road. We also have mods to kick people blocking the road with the help of the report system.

As long as the afk isn't harmful like afk blocking the road which is preventable by making indefinite afk exclusive to parking spot or afk filling the server preventable by dynamic afk detection, extended afk time is never a bad thing and improves player experience playing the game.

I'm playing on the ATS servers where 90% of the time there aren't even other players nearby. Since I just started playing multiplayer I still don't have my own truck so I'm doing quick jobs. After finishing a quick job and being in the menu screen I alt+tabbed out to do some things, and when I came back I found I was kicked for being AFK despite me not even having a physical presence in the world and the server being far from full. And of course there is no way to reconnect except to restart the game.

I really think there should be a higher AFK timer when the server is less than 75% full and the player is either not physically in the world (between quick jobs) or they are parked in a parking lot. If the player is currently in a no collision area (like a freight area), and they're in the menu screen instead of in the world, and the server isn't full, instead of disconnecting them why not just hide their truck from the world? That way other players don't experience lag from their truck being in the world, and since the server isn't full they're not taking up any valuable slots, but they're not disconnected so they can easily resume their trucking experience without having to restart the game.

^

Fellow ATS player here.

If you want better afk rules, please go check my thread about dynamic afk detection that attempts to solve the problem of players wanting longer afk without overloading the server with afk players. I also had the same issue as you do about alt tabbing to rest and do other stuff after doing a job and being kicked for being afk for too long.

I do wonder where does the game detect your location if you don't have a truck and isn't doing any job at the moment. 

@Ryan2233 Just to ensure you know one thing: You get kicked for staying (about) 10 minutes in the same spot without moving your truck. The AFK kick system does not detect whether the game window is open, minimized or the game "alt+tabbed".

I personally think the system is fine as it is. I've never got AFK kicked sooner than supposed to. I too suggest you to create a bug report, if you really have an issue with the system.

Somebody mentioned that the ways to avoid getting AFK kicked should be removed. I disagree with this. Sometimes you might be waiting for someone so it comes handy to put an empty message in to the chat to avoid getting kicked. Also, when you come back just before the time runs out, it's quicker to put a chat message in than move your truck.

Ready to go!

^

Being contented to fine would go against the reason why suggestions exists in the first place which is suggest things to improve the game even more. Why do all this unnecessary things to dodge afk kick if the devs can simply allow indefinite afk? That's more convenient and will surely satisfy people who wanted longer afk while people who are already fine with the current one is should not be affected at all in any way.

-1 from me... Took me 20/30 mins to join the EU2 server yesterday after it was full and I had a job so me joining another server wasn't an option... The server had a waiting list of 250+ players and you can't join unless its around 180 or so if there was no AFK kicking system I would have been waiting ages plus if you was to get rid of the AFK system think of how many players would just hog the server there would be many some genuine players and the rest trolls who would just park up and leave their computer running for the fun of it so keep it as 10mins :)

• 3 weeks later...

It has been suggested before and was rejected as well since the AFK kick system will not be removed as it could be abused by people who are idle the entire day, thus blocking the server spots. If you want to stay online, write something in the chat or use a command like /p or /t to show the amount of players or the current local time in order to prevent being kicked.

Rejected.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.