Top 3 trucks and best Long Haul trucks for starting in Multiplayer

Levi [NL/GER]

Hello New/expierenced Driver!

You might have wondered, "What is the best truck to use, if I am low on cash/just starting out?" 

Well, I think I got the answer! Heres a top 3 with reasons!

Nr 1. Scania R Normal

Prices and Specs

The Scania R Normal is a reasonably priced truck, has a pricetag of 109,110.

110K will get you a Shiny "Normal Cab" with a 4x2 chassis. It has a 360HP/265KW engine making 1.850NM torque. If we compare the 360HP Euro 5 to the biggest engine, Scania Euro 6 V8 Turbo engine, which makes 730HP/537KW and 3.500NM torque. 

The 360HP Euro 5 is pretty good for its price!  

Is it really that good?

Oh yes, it really is! The Euro 5 engine pulls a 3-10T trailer with no issues, above 10 it does struggle a bit on hills and tight corners. With the low seating hight, its great for seeing cars fly by you, so you can do your best to not hit them ;). I haven't tested the bed myself, but they say it will get you freshened up for the next job! Fuel milage, not that good since its an Euro 5 engine, but a full tank (1400L)  will last you around 3200KM (If you EcoRoll, etc.) and around 1400KM if you like to rev high, and fly across the motorways! (Doing 90 ofcourse, because iam a brave driver after all :) ) 

How about upgrading?

Those Swedes do ask alot for their upgrades, I recommend first that you upgrade Engines, Gearboxes and then spend on Tuning and Looks! When you do upgrade, DO NOT buy the Euro 6 360/420 engines! Save up for the 500HP V8. It will pull way better (because of the V8 making more torque, 2100NM) and has more power!

Nr. 2  Renault Premium

Prices and Specs

The hideous looking Premium, is one of the best In-game trucks. The French truck gets you a 360HP/280KW Euro 5 engine, Normal Roof Cabin and a Optidrive gearbox (which is great if you manually shift). And it only costs 98.830!!! Its spec-wise worse than the Scania because it has 50NM torque less (on the same engine). You can upgrade to the 460HP/338KW engine, which is a cheap upgrade. And it will give you a V6 with 2200NM torque! It pulls 3-18T loads easily, above 18T it will have a bit of a struggle, but its barely noticable.

Is it really that good?

Personally, I dont like it. The indicators annoy me, and the interior color-scheme is designed by a 3 year old. (Having random colors on some parts...). The rest of the truck, is OK. The gearbox is incredibely smooth! Its like its made out of suede :D! The steering is really sharp and OMGGGG the horn! The horn sounds like a Rubber Ducky being sqeezed!  People do notice you, if you horn it.

Fuel consumption, is Meh... It comes with a 1000L tank, which is good for around 2000KM if you Eco drive (EcoRoll, AdBlue, etc.) and a small 800KM if you have a heavy load and you need to give it alot of power...

How about upgrading?

Upgrades are very cheap, and give you alot of stuff for your money! However, Engines only go up to 460HP/338KW and still have 2200NM torque as the cheaper engines of other manufacturers. Its great for highways, since suspension is smooth and has excellent handling on highways with the 4x2 and 6x4-2 liftaxle (when the lift is up ofcourse :) ) 

Nr. 3  Mercedes Actros MP4

Prices and specs

The cheapest Actros is 103.730. Which is more expensive than the Premium, a bit ;). Your money will transform into a StreamSpace cab (which you can stand in!), a 421HP/310KW engine, that makes 2100Nm of torque. It gets the most HP out of all starter trucks and is extremely cheap! It can pull a 3-13T load easily, which is weird since it has the most HP?! (Explained later).

Is it really that good?

Its good, it looks very good, streamlined and chique! The interior is very German, clean and ready to do the job! I have found out, that the glovebox has a lock, so you can store your cookies safely :)! Its really comfortable on Highways and bumps. Suspension is really soft and really good in corners! I have had any cornering problems with the truck at all! Fuel wise, its "bonkers"! It hs a 1400L tank which ive done around 3900-4200KM on! (That means EcoDriving, EcoRoll, EcoShift, etc.). If you hit the throttle alot, it does a nice 1000KM!

How about upgrading?

the max engine is around 600HP, which will certainly get your heavy loads up the hills! Its a bit pricey, the same as the 8x4 chassis, which looks really nice! Gearboxes are a bit tough, automatic mode will slow it down even more... It took me 3 seconds to get into 1st from Neutral sometime testing it. And i already said about it being 3rd, when its the best of all? Thats because this: The V6 engine gives you 2100NM torque at 1100RPM. The problem is that because of the high HP, the "Revs" shoot up to around 1300-1500. Which means it doesnt make alot of torque... That is why it is 3rd, which doesnt mean its bad! :) 

I hope this was useful for you! Let me know down below if it has helped you :) Since Iam planning to review the best Eco trucks and Long haulers! 

Drive safe!

• Upvote 4

I had a Scania to start. I hated it. It was slow and under-powered. I was constantly in other peoples' way. I traded it for the base line Volvo. The Volvo has plenty of power but doesn't seem to corner quite as well, even at only 5mph. I sometimes have trouble just getting out of parking lots, I plan on keeping the Volvo though.. I can deal with the crappy turn radius/slow wheel turn speed... I can't deal with struggling to get to speed or up an on-ramp with a line of trucks behind me

• Like 1

Nice guide. I started with the FH16 as part of a friends recommendation who already had the game, but if I were to do it over again I would probably start with the Scania R series. They aren't that expensive to buy, and you can upgrade the heck out of them when you have the money. Well, here I am with 3.7 billion Euros in ETS2 (not hacked btw), so I can just buy and experiment with whatever parts I want. Lol. 

Renault is a good choice if you want a nice handling truck, i think its better performance overall than the Scania.

The Merc is slightly better than the both and good-looking aswell, i'd recommend this out of the 3.

I still would suggest the 540HP FH16 Classic because of the better power for its price.

• 2 months later...

This is a very good guide for new players but everyone has their own opinion just like you have when you said top 3 trucks to start with. If the new player doesn’t know what truck to have when they go looking round for a truck they all have their details about the truck. So then they can decide on what they think is the best truck to buy.

This is all about opinions at the end of the day, you picked your best three and maybe someone else would pick their best three that would be completely different to yours. 

JackLad

Honestly having spent quite a bit of time in this game, I really don't think it matters too much. Obviously you could argue the Renault Magnum for it's increased stability, or the Mercedes Actros for it's value for money, or the Scania for the best torque if heavy hauls are your thing, or the Volvo for best brute horsepower. They're all good trucks for their own unique reasons and all decent buys, personally I think a great startup is actually the DAF 105, especially if you're looking to train yourself in how to use manual gears!

• James changed the title to Top 3 trucks and best Long Haul trucks for starting in Multiplayer
  • 1 year later...

I expected to see a Volvo in there. I've always learned from guides that Volvo trucks are some of the best in ETS2, not sure about ATS though. And, as someone that has only driven Volvo's, I'm not sure how it'd even be to drive a Scania, Renault or Mercedes. I've put hundreds of hours into the game simply driving Volvo trucks. But I guess I did drive other trucks when I started by doing Quick Jobs, but it's been a long time. Thanks for the guide, though, will be spending some money on a few new trucks!

spacer.png