Split Europe #2 across multiple servers to increase capacity.

manicphase

Sorry if this has been suggested or is being worked on. I couldn't find anything while searching.

Suggestion Name: Split Europe #2 across multiple servers to increase capacity.

Suggestion Description: Have the client connect to different servers depending on in-game location. Leave a small overlap between areas where the client connects to multiple servers, so the in-game transition can be seamless. Example (see image attached): If you start in Amsterdam you will be connected to Server A. When you start driving toward Osnabruck and cross the red line the client will negotiate a connection with Server B but will remain connected to server A. When you cross the blue line, the connection to server A will be dropped.

Any example images: Attached

Why should it be added?: More players online = more fun.

splitservers.png

• Upvote 1

I'm not too too big on programming, so I can't really say anything from a developers stand point as to how hard something like this will be and if it is possible. However, it sounds like a pretty good idea to me. And I think it will also reduce server lag. 

Not helpful and useful , It will still cause traffic Jams , Lags, 

when they cross servers/location. it will definitely make you reconnect. so it will re-spawn you. It will cause Jams on those area's.

Add me on Steam             Follow Me on Twitter

J3uYEiE.png?1                     MLgPCGo.png?1

15 hours ago, [Biu] - Luo Shen said:

The project needs more capital input, and it would be better if it could reduce the server's PING!

The ping depends on the distance, so split servers or one more powerful server wouldn't change the ping time. There's a Hong Kong server, which is best for Chinese players in regards to ping, but most Asian/Australian players prefer the EU servers because those are the ones with most traffic

About the suggestion, it's a nice idea, but I think it would be quite tricky to implement it and make it work without issues.

-1 first off, in its current state, if you split the map between 2 servers, every player crossing o EE would have to restart their game to access the second server. Plus, this will chaise desync, lag, added traffic jams/accidents where the servers meet etc. Not to mention that TMP would have to rent double the number of servers as we have now and employ double the admins and staff to maintain and protect the servers.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really add anything good to the game and has so many variables to deal with from time of day to the job marke, that it's seriously not worth it. 

Edited by megadethsteve666

18 hours ago, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

ping取决于距离,因此分割服务器或一个更强大的服务器不会更改ping时间。有一台香港服务器,这对中国玩家来说是最好的,但大多数亚洲/澳大利亚玩家更喜欢欧盟的服务器,因为那些是最流行的

关于这个建议,这是一个好主意,但是我认为实施它是非常棘手的,使其无问题。

Hi,Many Chinese players know that there are Hongkong servers, but no one goes, most of them prefer the European 2 server! Now the Hongkong server is basically nobody's server!

• 2 weeks later...

Could we get a comment on this from someone who actually programmed the multiplayer? Could someone pass along the questions to them and cite their answer here (if they are too busy to enter the discussion themselves). 

So far, all of the post I read here just seems to be a bunch of people guessing how it could work and/or making assumptions about how it will work if implemented.. and if you happen to be expert programmers, then I apologize for my assumption that you're not..

On 28.6.2017 at 5:21 PM, megadethsteve666 said:

-1 first off, in its current state, if you split the map between 2 servers, every player crossing o EE would have to restart their game to access the second server. Plus, this will chaise desync, lag, added traffic jams/accidents where the servers meet etc. Not to mention that TMP would have to rent double the number of servers as we have now and employ double the admins and staff to maintain and protect the servers.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really add anything good to the game and has so many variables to deal with from time of day to the job marke, that it's seriously not worth it. 

Obviously if implemented, it wouldn't be a "restart-the-game" type of thing. It would have to be a fluent system where the transfer between servers would be automatic without any user interaction involved. That's what OP is suggesting too, so don't base such a system on today's need to restart in order to change servers. That would obviously not work, and would never be implemented. It needs to be a fluent handover between each server, where the player does nothing extra in order to connect to the next server, which is what OP is asking about/suggesting. 

You would not have to double the amount of all servers if this only applied to one server, then you would only need one more server. Or better yet, combine EU 2 and 3, then you wouldn't need any more servers than today..

The amount of admins in game seems to need an increase anyway today, based on the amount of reports that are not processed in the new report system.. so this shouldn't be a limiting factor for this suggestion. The limiting factors should be pure technicalities, not reasons like "it would be more traffic jams", "I think it would be more lag" etc. I hope someone who knows how the technical aspects of MP today can pitch in here, as I am interested in hearing if it's possible or not.

The job market seems to be local to you, so it shouldn't cause any issues whatsoever. Your job follows you, even if you disconnect from MP and reconnect later. The job is still there if you didn't finish it. I just tried this. Logged onto EU 1 and picked up a job, then finished the job on EU 2. No problems.

At the end of the day, it doesn't add anything good to the game?? Really? Basically what you're saying is that 1000 players is the same as 2000 players? 3000 players is the same as 4000? More people would obviously bring more life to the whole experience, especially in the outer regions of the map.

Anyway, I just got fed up by the negativity to this suggestion. Here's my contribution to this topic:
One actual technical challenge that I can think of, would be that even though you have 2 or more servers cooperating, you can't increase the amount of players on each server. The limit would still be 3000-3500 for each server. Meaning that if the limit is reached on any server, people will have to wait for the server population in that region to decrease in order to connect to it and transfer. Which would need some kind of queue system between server regions. This could be solved by a loading screen, where you enter the "waiting area", and then you respawn your truck as soon as you have connected to the next region. The spawn would of course be a non-collision zone so that players would have the chance to avoid crashes. The transfer could be similar to taking the ferry, except the screen just automatically goes black when you enter the "server transfer zone", then you respawn on the other side when you're connected to the next server. 

I agree with OP that more players would be more fun. Right now, it's quite boring to drive to the outer regions of the map since most of the people are cruising around in the more central areas of the map. If there was a full server for every major region of Europe, then there would potentially always be loads of traffic everywhere you go. +1 from me. I hope someone who programmed the multiplayer could pitch in about this (unless they already did somewhere else). It would be an amazing prospect to play alongside 10 000 other players across the whole of Europe. 

• 9 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.