Overtaking rule, overtaking on the right one side

{ILG} Sineptorro

Suggestion Name: Overtaking Rule: Only overtake on the right one side

Suggestion Description: Only overtake on the left sided lane when you are in continental europe and on the right sided lane in the UK. 

Any example images: none

Why should it be added?: Its a very common problem that there are a lot of players in continental europe which are just overtaking on the right lane when you drive on the middle lane of the highway, and don't warn you with horns or lights. I personally nearly never watch into the right sided mirror cause in real life you shouldn't get overtaken on the right side and my mouse is very far away from me cause i am driving with steering wheel. f2 isn't an option for me too, cause it's unrealistic. So when i'm changing to the right lane from the middle lane i just activate my blinker and change the lane without watching into the mirrors, except when i overtook an other truck. So sometimes i crash into other trucks because they overtake on the right lane althrough the left lane is free.

Hello @Sineptorro overtaking from the right is usually considered as a violation of the rules below.

Inappropriate Overtaking

Overtaking in an area of extremely low FPS, in areas with large amounts of traffic such as in Europoort, overtaking resulting in an accident or anything similar. This also includes overtaking on any 1 lane in each direction road where there is excessive traffic. 

Reckless Driving

Driving in such a way that is considered unsafe, driving backwards, wrong way, failing to yield, ignoring other players and rules.

Unless there is another truck blocking in front of you and circumstances are available to overtake that truck from the right (left in the UK), overtaking from the unusual side can be resulted in a ban/kick punishment.

if they crash into you, then it is reckless driving / ramming.

If it is right in front of an intersection, it should be common knowledge that you switch lanes early enough. If he/she still attempts to overtake and eventually crashes, it's the overtakers fault.

Ofcourse you shouldn't be driving 50 on the left lane (continental location, right lane in UK) if there are one or two lanes free next to it. In that case overtaking on the right side is always being done and shouldn't e punished.

Also overtaking on the hazard lane, the grass or what ever is NEXT to the road is already illegal and is already being punished 

• Upvote 2

"Just because others break rules, does not grant you the permission to break the rules as well"

Please drive respectful on the servers. Thank you!

I think that switching lanes by just activating your indicator and moving over is worse than overtaking on the right. What if someone is there, driving the same speed as you? I personally can't stand it when somebody just rudely pushes into me and pulls off the "but, i had my indicator on" excuse. If F2 is unrealistic then press 8 on your numpad to look right, and then 5 to center it again, but make sure there is nobody there. This is far more likely to cause an accident then right lane overtaking.

However, instead of the right lane overtaking I think it should be a kickable offense for hogging the far most left lane. That means, driving in the left lane when there is no traffic in the right lane or going slower than the rest of traffic in the left lane. This is actually a law in some countries/areas IRL and is a ticketable offense. The only time the left lane should be used is for overtaking - move left, pass the vehicle in front of you, and merge back at a safe distance.

• Upvote 1

I don't think this would be able to be implemented as not all counties follow this driving law.

I do understand your point but I just think it won't work considering all the different driving styles and the road layout ingame

On 21/06/2017 at 0:40 AM, sko0923 said:

I think that switching lanes by just activating your indicator and moving over is worse than overtaking on the right. What if someone is there, driving the same speed as you? I personally can't stand it when somebody just rudely pushes into me and pulls off the "but, i had my indicator on" excuse. If F2 is unrealistic then press 8 on your numpad to look right, and then 5 to center it again, but make sure there is nobody there. This is far more likely to cause an accident then right lane overtaking.

However, instead of the right lane overtaking I think it should be a kickable offense for hogging the far most left lane. That means, driving in the left lane when there is no traffic in the right lane or going slower than the rest of traffic in the left lane. This is actually a law in some countries/areas IRL and is a ticketable offense. The only time the left lane should be used is for overtaking - move left, pass the vehicle in front of you, and merge back at a safe distance.

First off dude, if someone overtakes you and causes a collision, well that's their fault, whether there's oncoming traffic or not.

its all about people's interpretation and play style, some people like to play arcade style with mouse, keyboard and drive unrealistically, others like to drive 100% legit and as realistic as possible, then you have the middle grounfd between both extremes, so for some people, they don't drive with aids like dogs on the map etc, so when they go to overtake, they do t know if someone is coming up at them. 

It's all down to players play style and how far towards real world things should go, it's like saying we should auto kick those who don't use indicators or have light on during the day or have lights on their roof bars and bullbars, it's subject to the situation. You have to bare in mind that not every player drives or has a license IRL so knowing the basics of things like overtaking etc aren't going to be known that well. 

As for @Sineptorro, as I too drive with a wheel and my mouse and keyboard are behind my wheel out of the way, the best thing I found is to map buttons on the wheel/shifter to camera controls such as look left, look right, recentre. That way you can see the mirrors without needing to use the mouse. But I agree that those who overtake in either the hard shoulder or in the right lane are dangerous, but as long as they don't cause a collision by their actions, there shouldn't be a punishment because if we have punishments for every little thing in the game, then the game loses it's fun and casual feeling and that'll drive a lot of people away because that's what ETS and ATS are, casual games, they have realistic aspects, but they aren't full driving simulators, there's still a feel of an arcade game, so punishing people over things like that isn't going to solve anything. 

Plus, if you auto kick people for these sorts of things, chances are you'll bring gridlock to busier roads with people roadspawning and causing accidents all the time.

@megadethsteve666 fair enough. I guess you are right, and people should be able to play how they like, within reason. As for the overtaking part, yes its their fault but that doesn't change the situation you are in. While yes its a video game not being at fault won't help the damage to your truck and load. 

Me personally, I am in between the two extreme's but probably more towards the realistic side. I often speed and drive way faster than a truck with a trailer would IRL (140+ kp/h on straight portions), however I stop at all red lights, have the players on the mini map turned off, engine brake, drive with my G27, and a bunch of other things that I can't name off the top of my head. So, the only thing I probably do unrealistically is the speeding part. 

22 hours ago, sko0923 said:

@megadethsteve666 fair enough. I guess you are right, and people should be able to play how they like, within reason. As for the overtaking part, yes its their fault but that doesn't change the situation you are in. While yes its a video game not being at fault won't help the damage to your truck and load. 

Me personally, I am in between the two extreme's but probably more towards the realistic side. I often speed and drive way faster than a truck with a trailer would IRL (140+ kp/h on straight portions), however I stop at all red lights, have the players on the mini map turned off, engine brake, drive with my G27, and a bunch of other things that I can't name off the top of my head. So, the only thing I probably do unrealistically is the speeding part. 

Likewise here, I have everything as close to realistic as possible, yet only speed slightly where it's fair. 

But the the thing is, it's a game, if you're truck gets damaged or your load gets damaged you either suck it up or you reload and try again. The thing you have to remember is that not everyone IRL drives strictly by the books, you get a lot of wild cards and such, so if you think about it, having the trolls and the speeders and the dangerous overtakers, all adds to the real world scenario.

to be fair though, sometimes someone's lagging around is so dangerous, that you just want t to get in front of them at all costs. It's just all down to circumstance, if you're overtaking and cause an accident, either by the move itself or by being in oncoming lanes, that's a punishment, but as long as you don't cause an accident, you should be left alone.

• Upvote 1

This is a great idea. People who overtake using the hard shoulder are not only an irritation, but also a major hazard. The hard shoulder is not for overtaking or parking. It is for broken down vehicles or for emergency vehicles to get past e.g. for an admin to get to the front of a traffic jam. The worst example however has to be if a truck has crashed, the traffic has stopped for about 30 seconds while the crashed vehicle is moved or the player presses f7. More then often there is a player who thinks they don't have to wait in the small traffic jam and overtakes on the grass verge, creating another crash. The last time this happened to me was on a slip road that curved. I was the first to come across the incident so I put my hazards on and stopped. Two other trucks then waited patiently behind me. Then i looked out of my mirror to see a truck trying to come up the inside of the curve. Needless to say the incident became much larger at this point.

Hey Truckers,

The rules are simple to follow 

1 overtaking a slower truck, Insure the road is clear ahead of you check your mirrors indicate check the road in-front of you again  and pull out once past the truck wait until your at least 50 to 100 meters in front of the truck and indicate to pull back the truck you just overtook will flash his/her lights to let you back once your back in your lane use the hazards to say thank you. you can not overtake of there is a solid white line on the road you.

1st picture shows a solid white line prohibiting an overtake due to blind corners you must not overtake if you see a solid white line  

2nd picture shows pitted lines these will alternate between sides these pits allow overtaking if it is safe to do so.

3rd picture shows that the hill is a hazard and it may or may not be-safe to overtake most people dont overtake on a blind hill 

2917347_ec813f04.jpg

A386_010607_a_forweb.jpg

road-640881.jpg

• 1 month later...

The official in-game rules already have some points regarding the inappropriate overtaking and reckless driving. You can always report offences if you see them happening both in-game as well as later on the website. In-game admins will kick for the dangerous overtaking on the wrong side, some of them even ban for it.

Done.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.