Connect to server in non-collisions areas only

Title: Connect to server in non-collisions areas only

Description:

Sometimes you are driving along a long and boring road, then suddenly you get to a standstill. A couple of seconds later, another player connects. He disconnected or lost connection on the road, and now reconnected on the road. But at the moment he was connecting at the road, you were driving there. Your truck gets heavily damaged, and there was nothing you can do about it because you did not count on connecting players being in your way. This is frustrating, annoying and it will hurt your wallet due to repairs (unless you cheated some millions.. ;) ), and you can cancel your current delivery. The crash can also cause traffic jams, and in the end, there are only frustrated truckers and the only one who is happy is the truck mechanic. :) 

Any example images:

Nope, but Youtube will provide you with enough content. 

Why should it be added?:

If players can't connect to the server while they are in a collisions area, they can't cause crashes. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Many different variations of this have been suggested including ghost mode.  I agree that we need to do something about this as it causes chaos.

It was suggested many times ago. I totally agree with you. But sometimes it could be problematic for example if u driving with convoy, you lost connection and want to back, your mates are on Petrol Station long way from cities. What you have to do now? Long, annoying journey.

If that thing will be added, they must add more zones to teleport. For example Petrol Stations, Parkings or Harbours

Then it will be fantastic :)

Let the players connect to ETS2/ATS MP, but let them connect to the server in a non-collisions area. I meant the connection to a server (EU1, EU2), not the connection to the multiplayer itself. Sometimes when it is busy, you have to wait in a queue before you can connect to the server itself, until then you play in "passive" mode. If the same could be applied based on location, you should have a solution? There could be shown something like "Enter non-collision area to connect to server". 

Edited by The Awesome Delftian (NL)
Reaction not complete

I hope every convoy has multiple controllers (what even are controllers, I am not familiar with convoys), so if one loses connection the convoy the others can take over and lead the convoy to the nearest parking space, where they can wait for the other controller to catch up. Maybe ETS 2 MP can extend the current non-collision zone to parking spaces, fuel stops and other places so you can also re-connect at the highway. 

So CC are people who load save files to teleport across the map? So basically causing these problems... Maybe there should be more NCZ, like at fuel stops, then CC could still load their save file, and others don't have to be paranoid about random people loading in ETS2MP at the road itself instead of parking spaces. 

2 hours ago, The Awesome Delftian (NL) said:

Let the players connect to ETS2/ATS MP, but let them connect to the server in a non-collisions area. I meant the connection to a server (EU1, EU2), not the connection to the multiplayer itself. Sometimes when it is busy, you have to wait in a queue before you can connect to the server itself, until then you play in "passive" mode. If the same could be applied based on location, you should have a solution? There could be shown something like "Enter non-collision area to connect to server". 

-1 totally agree that road spawning is annoying, but forcing people to spawn in NCZs is fine if you're close to a city, but chances are, you'll get disconnected mid route and the only option is to backtrack to the last city you passed via F7 + Enter, increasing your chances of being caught up in major incidents that you would normally miss.

Not to mention, if a lot of people get disconnected at the same time near a certain city, then you'll have an absolute mess as people try to make up for lost time.

No, a more simpler way is to only allow connection to the server when the persons vehicle is completely off the active lane and stationary. It's a wonderful n win then, less road spawns, reduce chance of trolling and you don't lose any of your covered distance, especially if you're driving as part of a convoy or with friends etc.

I like the idea I think it would really help reduce the amount of accidents leading to reports clogging admins system and I also am wondering how could it be implemented as basically saying only non-collision zones the only kinda logical would be repair/truck dealer and if that was the case there would end up with a lot of people in the same place which causes lag and as they pull out you got the ones that want to get out first leading to accidents and it would just end up complete chaos and it would make admins jobs harder then they already are because they already do a lot to keep this community up and running it would just be one more hassle to deal with for them so im going to have to say -1

something like this has been suggested before. Best thing is to save the game every now and then (stopped in a safe spot) then if your truck gets damaged, you can load that saved file and continue your journey then.

Kind Regards,

StreamingAussie - Veteran Driver III

Driver for Courtz Carriers (April 24 2019)

TruckersMP   l   Steam   l   Twitch  l  World of Trucks

76561198340005094.png

Actually, after a player is spawned it would be better to make the player's truck a non collision zone for a short period of time. But, how can this be done? We know that every vehicle in the game has a 3D area called "hitbox". Hitbox is an unseen mass which surrounding a vehicle. So, if you make the hitbox a non collision zone; a player can pass through another player who just spawned.

I really don't know if this is possible in respect of gaming graphics engineering. But I think if we can make a whole area like a company non collision zone, then it should be a way of making a vehicle's hitbox the same.

I think connecting in a NCZ only is a little bit too far. If I lose connection on a road far from a city I really wouldn't want to teleport back to the city just to join back in a NCZ, as that drop out had already frustrated me enough. I think instead it should be against the rules to load your game on an active piece of roadway, including loading a save. If you want to make saves, make them pulled over at a gas station or rest area or something, or even on the shoulder. Spawning on the shoulder is fine, but not in the middle of a motorway.  

Thanks for the feedback everyone! It is nice to see everyone's opinion about my suggestion. 

10 hours ago, megadethsteve666 said:

No, a more simpler way is to only allow connection to the server when the persons vehicle is completely off the active lane and stationary. It's a wonderful n win then, less road spawns, reduce chance of trolling and you don't lose any of your covered distance, especially if you're driving as part of a convoy or with friends etc.

I like this idea, basically only allowing connection when not on the main road. Then make areas like emergency lanes and tank stations etc. triggers for the server to connect players who stand still on those spots. 

7 hours ago, Jason Trucks [EN] said:

something like this has been suggested before. Best thing is to save the game every now and then (stopped in a safe spot) then if your truck gets damaged, you can load that saved file and continue your journey then.

Yeah, I know this thing, but isn't it a bit weird that you have to save a file every now and then because you have to prevent colliding with a player who connects in the middle of the road?

8 hours ago, the bored hermit said:

the only kinda logical would be repair/truck dealer

No I mean every NCZ. This will grant players to connect to the server safe, and if a player is in the same spot the players connects to, there won't be a collision since it is NCZ. If NCZ could be expanded to parking lots, fuel stops there would be enough areas to connect to. Not only every repair, but every business, fuel stop, parking space etc. 

6 hours ago, BOSSENTERPRiSES said:

So, if you make the hitbox a non collision zone; a player can pass through another player who just spawned.

That is also a nice option. I don't know anything about coding, so I have no idea if this is possible. Maybe "ghost" a player who connected for like 30 sec, so they can gain speed and/or go to the side of the road if they connected in the middle of the road.

6 hours ago, sko0923 said:

If I lose connection on a road far from a city I really wouldn't want to teleport back to the city just to join back in a NCZ

This could be solved by making fuel stops at the highway NCZ as well. 

6 hours ago, sko0923 said:

I think instead it should be against the rules to load your game on an active piece of roadway

Even if it is against the rules, it will still happen. Therefore I had this suggestion of only connecting players at NCZ or other safe bays to prevent players from connecting at the middle of the road. Maybe players do it on purpose, but some connect in the middle of the road by accident. (Maybe their game crashed and they want to reconnect, only to find out they lost connection in the middle of the road and caused a collision by reconnecting) 

Ghost mode after connect for about 10-15 seconds is enough to avoid most accidents and is the better solution because people will be where they disconnected instead to wonder wtf i am doing here. :)
Another possible solution is if the gas stations are NCZ so players can be teleported closer to where they were instead of nearest city, but it's the dev team who can tell best what can be done and will it work.

19 hours ago, The Awesome Delftian (NL) said:

This.

Make fuel stops, toll stations and sleep stops/parking areas non collision zones and apply the queue systems to it only connecting people to the server after they are in a NCZ. Chaotic places like Calais/Duisburg roads often are turn chaotic because of people reconnecting in the middle of the road.

7 hours ago, The Awesome Delftian (NL) said:

This could be solved by making fuel stops at the highway NCZ as well. 

Personally I'm against this. There isn't really enough traffic at any of the fuel stations for the necessity of it being a no collision zone. I actually enjoy waiting in line behind 1 or 2 trucks to fuel up sometimes. 

11 minutes ago, sko0923 said:

I actually enjoy waiting in line behind 1 or 2 trucks to fuel up sometimes. 

You can still wait, even in NCZ :) 

I meant with making fuel stops NCZ you have to opportunity to connect to the server at the highway, therefore you don't need to enter a city (which were the complaints in this thread). 

20 hours ago, BOSSENTERPRiSES said:

Actually, after a player is spawned it would be better to make the player's truck a non collision zone for a short period of time. But, how can this be done? We know that every vehicle in the game has a 3D area called "hitbox". Hitbox is an unseen mass which surrounding a vehicle. So, if you make the hitbox a non collision zone; a player can pass through another player who just spawned.

I really don't know if this is possible in respect of gaming graphics engineering. But I think if we can make a whole area like a company non collision zone, then it should be a way of making a vehicle's hitbox the same.

The issue isn't necessarily the hitbox, it's the fact that if someone spawns at a standstill and you're doing 55-60 mph, you're not going to stop in time because the closing distance is too big, so even if the player is made no collide on spawn, as soon as they move, that will switch off, while they're at a much lower than road, speed.

At least with my idea, you have a chance to avoid those pulling out at low speeds as you would if someone was off the side of the road to sort something IRL. 

^

I did not say anything about your opinion in my comment. Also, I'd like to say that if you make a hitbox non collision zone for 15 seconds after the spawn, it doesn't matter whether the spawned truck moves or not. You just make a truck ghost for 15 seconds. In 15 seconds nobody rams the spawning vehicle.

Edited by DerAmpelmann
Removed unnecessary quote. Please refer to the post above with "^" or tag the person.

^

Please quote where I inferred that you said something about MY comment.

On topic, It's down to circumstance, on some, more quiet roads, where a vehicle may pass every half minute to 2 minutes then fair enough, but busy, typical road spawn roads such as the C-D road, where a truck may pass less than every 10 seconds, 15 second timings don't work, at least with teleports or connection delays,you can avoid the whole hitbox issue. Ideally there needs to be a way to make reconnecting safer without being respawned miles away from where you got disconnected.

Edited by DerAmpelmann
Removed unnecessary quote. Please refer to the post above with "^" or tag the person.

I agree with this completely.

On multiple occasions, I have DCed from the server. On each occassion, I immediately pull to the side of the road and wait to reconnect.

Why does there seem to be so much opposition to this rule? Yeah; I do agree that the simple "pulling to the side of the road" concept might be one that is a bit too difficult for 95% of the player-base to grasp, but it is too much of an issue to ignore.

Why do normal players have to suffer for someone's shitty internet connection or decision to randomly connect online in the middle of a drive?

I have a total of around 10 hours played online and have had no less than 5 collisions with people who have just randomly spawned in in front of me.

Can't we figure something out to fix this?

16 hours ago, megadethsteve666 said:

as soon as they move, that will switch off,

Who says it switches it off as soon as they move? If it switches off once you are located in a NCZ or (idle in a safe bay as you suggested) there is no problem with ghost mode.

16 hours ago, BOSSENTERPRiSES said:

You just make a truck ghost for 15 seconds.

I don't think it is a good idea to base it on time, but rather on location. If it is a very busy road (Duisburg-Calais) it is just a ticking bomb until you are switched off ghost mode and you will collide with at least one truck. Pulling into the grass won't help because if pull off the road you will be kicked by admins.

16 hours ago, megadethsteve666 said:

Ideally there needs to be a way to make reconnecting safer without being respawned miles away from where you got disconnected.

Who is talking about teleport? With my suggestion players will be connected in offline mode (or in ghost mode as suggested), until players arrive in a NCZ. This does NOT mean they will be teleported in any way! The players have to drive to a NCZ themselves, and fuel stops etc could be NCZ as well to prevent players from leaving the highway and entering the city.

31 minutes ago, Big Poopin' said:

On each occassion, I immediately pull to the side of the road and wait to reconnect.

Good, but sadly not everyone has the time (or brains) to do so, and so they will still connect in the middle of the road, causing crashes with players who cannot do anything about it, and don't expect it at all.