Experiencing kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

Multiplatform ZIP "installer"

Hi all

I got Linux machine on which I have ETS2 + Scandinavia + going east + ... viva la france << that bought today

After installing France update I created account on World of Trucks and start wonder how to play proper multiplayer in this game :)

After some googling, I land on truckersmp page ... that's obvious. :)

registration gave me nice EXE file to "play" with ... that's surprise :(

Here are my questions:

1. Do we need at all the installer for Steam driven game?

What I mean here. Can we provide just instruction to extract certain files (from zip package) to certain locations in game folder rather than Window$ installer ?

I give you one example with Xcom ememy unknown "long war" extension have no installer we just copy files into steam game subfolders

How hard for the dev team would be to provide the solution like that for no-M$ users?

The game itself (ETS/ATS) is sold as "all platforms toy" I'm surprised that "multiplayer standard" extension for such popular game(s) have only windows installer

2. Where is the catch with the only M$ platform? Do you use Winsockets in the codebase or other Window$ dedicated features which block the flexibility for multiplatform zip file package + instructions on installing certain libs instead of EXE ?

3. How hard would it be for the dev team to achieve this ZIP multiplatform solution?

Regards

Hey there, just a little reminder - please use the appropriate suggestion format for the next time.

Now, you risk that your suggestion will be declined. However, you could still edit your topic in order to implement the mandatory format:

• A fitting title.
  • A description of what the suggestion is about.
  • A reason why it should be added/removed/changed.
  • Any eventual example images or similar.

Thank you very much for your understanding!

Kind regards,

Anriandor

What @ArKoNNN was trying to say is that you need to follow a format when you post a suggestion, the template is at the top of the section:

Spoiler

Suggestions have to follow the format:

A fitting title.

A description of what the suggestion is about.

A reason why it should be added/removed/changed.

Any eventual example images or similar.

Remember to keep your post structured and easy to read and keep it to one suggestion pr. thread.

For example:

Suggestion Name: 

Suggestion Description:

Any example images: 

Why should it be added?:

Example:

Suggestion Name: Add non collision zones within delivery depots
Suggestion Description: At the moment there is collision zones around the entire map, it would benefit everyone if there were non collision zones within the delivery depots and dropoff points.
Any example images: Nope.
Why should it be added?: It'd allow multiple users to deliver at the same time.

About yours, it has been suggested/requested many times, to make TruckersMP versions for Linux, MAC, 32 bits systems, etc. The problem is that all of those different versions have to be maintained, updated, bug-free, making the developers' job a lot harder and time consuming. They decided that as the amount of players using Windows 64 bits systems is probably over 90%, it's not worth it to take all that effort. All other machines with MAC, Linux, can be configured for dual-booting or have apps to run windows programs.

Hello and welcome, 

11 hours ago, DamnGoodDevill said:

The game itself (ETS/ATS) is sold as "all platforms toy" I'm surprised that "multiplayer standard" extension for such popular game(s) have only windows installer

Because this is not an official multiplayer standard for the SCS base game. It's an external mod created by a different team which is TMP and TMP is not the same as SCS so no need to be surprised there :) It feels official though, I'd give you that haha :D

Hopefully this helps you somehow or you can submit a question in the Q&A and direct it to a specific person on the TMP team and I'm sure he/she/they will be happy to help you with your query

Have a good one

Ex - GM & FM (S.E.A)

• 2 weeks later...

What was mentioned above is logical.

The developers at TruckersMP spend countless days creating the TruckersMP mod for Windows alone and making revisions to it, so just imagine what it would be like for this team if Mac and Linux were added to the compatibility list.

It would take as long as it is taking for the New Mexico DLC to come out on ATS to release a single update for the game if some state like New Mexico were to be added! (No offense to SCS for making this very detailed and nice-looking state)

Hope this helps you understand some things about what dev's do behind doors we don't take a peek over often...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

Unfortunatly, Linux isn't supported, and will most likely never be. However, it is possible to actually play the game on Linux using mods.

It is not very stable, but it is possible. This suggestion however will not be accepted as this is most likely not going to happen.

Also, using the Suggestion Format is a must. Without doing this, your suggestion will most likely be rejected.

On 11-6-2017 at 10:29 PM, Anriandor said:

Please use the appropriate suggestion format for the next time.

Now, you risk that your suggestion will be declined. However, you could still edit your topic in order to implement the mandatory format:

• A fitting title.
  • A description of what the suggestion is about.
  • A reason why it should be added/removed/changed.
  • Any eventual example images or similar.

Rejected.

tfmpillow | Retired Team Member

Rules | Recruitment | Support | Feedback | Meet the Team | Guides | Suggestions

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.