Dynamic AFK detection + longer AFK time in parking lots

GKilat

17 minutes ago, Caernage said:

This's a good idea with the same reasons as sayd previously but it's possible for the dev to work on it ?

I think that's not easy to work on it =/

It's a server side thing and doable as far as I know since I have some experience in programming and working on game servers. Here is how I imagine what they can do to implement it.

Detect if a player is in a parking lot which triggers the message "press enter to rest" and then mark them as immune to getting kicked but their timer still ticks. When the server starts getting busy and the server detects that the threshold number they set is reached, it removes that kick immunity from parking lots and then check the timer of those players. If the timer of those players exceed above the normal afk timer, they are kicked from the server. If they are within the normal afk timer, they aren't kicked. When the server load is below the threshold, the kick immunity in parking lots is enabled again. 

16 minutes ago, sko0923 said:

+1 and I agree with the login screen suggestion. It would be easier than getting kicked to desktop and fully restarting your game, and it still removes you from the server and queue. 

Login screen suggestion is good but having uninterrupted afk on the parking lot is even better. Starting your engine and moving is definitely faster and more convenient than logging back in after you afk. Plus, imagine the sight of parking lots actually serving its purpose and seeing trucks in it as you drive by. Immersion and practicality all in one.

3 hours ago, GKilat said:

Login screen suggestion is good but having uninterrupted afk on the parking lot is even better. Starting your engine and moving is definitely faster and more convenient than logging back in after you afk. Plus, imagine the sight of parking lots actually serving its purpose and seeing trucks in it as you drive by. Immersion and practicality all in one.

I think this should be the case if there is at least 100 free slots in the server. And it should be like that for the whole server. If there is less than 100 slots, people may just have serious difficulty joining (I already do at peak times) if there is no AFK kick off.

3 hours ago, sko0923 said:

I think this should be the case if there is at least 100 free slots in the server. And it should be like that for the whole server. If there is less than 100 slots, people may just have serious difficulty joining (I already do at peak times) if there is no AFK kick off.

Like I said, it's up to the devs to adjust the threshold before the server kicks afk players in parking lots. If 100 free spot feels difficult, then adjust it to 150 or 200 free spot threshold. It shouldn't be a problem at all.

1 hour ago, Sineptorro said:

I don't think that the AFK timer is a big issue, but in my opinion the afk system should getting disabled at servers like eu1 where aren't a lot of players online.

AFK timer isn't an issue but it could be improved so that people can afk for as long as they like as long as the server isn't busy which mostly applies to servers not ETS EU2. I would imagine some people will start migrating to smaller servers so they can avail the infinite afk and putting less burden on EU2 although EU2 should still be the most popular server.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1, I support this. It doesn't even have to be linked to parking spots or specific locations either. Just allow people to park for as long as they want, whenever the server isn't full. When server reaches 90% population, AFK timer will begin to kick people within the same time as today. It's probably easier said than done to implement such checks though, which is why it hasn't happened as of yet. 

I hope admins or moderators will convey devs or TMP team's opinion on this, as I think it's a very reasonable suggestion that wouldn't hurt anyone if implemented. I think reasonable suggestions should get some form of "official response". Whether it'll be "rejected", "accepted", or "open for discussion". I think it's important that contributors of suggestions get some kind of official statement, so that they can move on and think of new ideas instead of waiting for months for a proper response. My $0.02 ;)

^

Thank you for the support. I have been bumping my topic for 2 months and still no word from the devs if they even consider this idea. But since it wasn't rejected I figure they are just weighing the pros and cons at the moment. I prefer parking spots for infinite afk to encourage people to park in the proper places like real life. There is also the problem of someone afking in the middle of the road and blocking traffic so that's another reason why infinite afk should be limited to parking lots.

^ Good point about the afking in the middle of the road. Still think they would just get reported and banned for it tho. Player's choice if they want a quick ban. I don't see anyone waiting even the current afk time for a blocker to disappear anyway. F7+Enter and choose a different route if a road is blocked. After recording and reporting the blocker ofc. 

^

You do have good points there and I could imagine a global dynamic afk is way easier to code than specific spots. Either way works but I still would prefer specific spots just because parking spots are useless in MP and this suggestion gives it uses and bonus point for adding realism by encouraging players to park in proper places.

• Upvote 1

^ I agree. The best would be dynamic afk only available in parking spots to give players an incentive to actually park where they're supposed to park, but if it's more work to implement, I would still be happy with a global dynamic system based on server population. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2017 at 4:44 AM, sko0923 said:

+1 and I agree with the login screen suggestion. It would be easier than getting kicked to desktop and fully restarting your game, and it still removes you from the server and queue. 

Yeah, I hate it when I go make myself a coffee and I'm kicked. The fact that you have to close and reopen your game is just an annoyance and I would like to see something done about that.

Just being able to log out and log back into your TruckersMP account in game would be a great improvement.

76561198323202969.png

I'm thinking about this from how a dev would see this.

This would mean, every single parking lot in ETS2 and ATS would have to be recorded, coordinates taken to apply this parameter to that specific area, and repeat that a few thousand times for every single parking lot in the game.

Do you know how much time and manpower that would take up? If you're going AFK, Exit the game, turn your computer off, save the environment.

spacer.png

^

I already offered a possible method for detecting a parking afk. They only have to use the trigger "press enter to rest" to know if the player is in a parking lot to apply the parking lot afk. Even if they can't do that, the devs were able to define NCZ and that also requires a lot of work because NCZ also applies to loading area and not just the parking lot. If they were able to do that, then I don't see why they won't be able to do that with just the parking lots.

Your reasoning implies punishing afk players that bypasses afk kick by sending random messages at intervals to avoid triggering the kick. If this is allowable, we might as well remove the inconvenience. This kind of reasoning would be similar to someone suggesting NCZ to avoid collision in loading areas and then responding that you can queue up and wait and NCZ isn't needed. 

• 3 weeks later...

I really like this suggestion since you've laid out lots of scenarios for what could be done. I heavily support this post since it does improve the current system which itself isn't 100% perfect for all.

I hope everybody has support for this topic since I with basic coding knowledge would say it's not too hard changes to make it work 100%. Good luck and I will support you all the way to addition in the change log.

- Rhys :D 

If my comment helped, Please give a Positive Rating above ↗ ↗ ↗

• 1 month later...

It's an interesting idea, probably important to remember the point of the afk timer though. I know you mention about how this would change dynamically according to how busy the server is and everything but I get the feeling that'd be more trouble than it's worth...for instance someone messaged about it kicking you out to the login instead of making you reboot your game. Well what you didn't mention was that presumably you'd be afk for a little while before noticing so you're not going to join the queue immediately, and yes I realise some people get kicked for being AFK whilst not, I've done my fair share of waiting around for people in game too!

^

Being kicked only happens when you are in a busy server and not on a quiet one. This suggestion would actually encourage people to distribute themselves to less populated server so they can afk indefinitely. This means less burden on big servers and in theory would reduce the queue time because players aren't funneled to one server because they are trying to avail the indefinite afk from the less populated server.

+1

I really like this idea. Being able to take a longer break would be beneficial, without the fear of having to restart the game again just for logging in.

Having a bad computer means I have to spend 5 minutes waiting for everything to load. So that would save some time, at least for me.