Experiencing kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

Possible VR supported versions?

juniorkirk

Question

I would really love to truck with others online, but I also LOVE the VR experience with the Rift for ATS and ETS2.  Go to start MP and says my version is too old be cause I am using the Oculus/Vive version that is a little bit behind the current version of the games.  I was just wondering if there might be a point in the future that will have a MP option to allow VR users to enjoy the online community of players.  I believe the VR community of players out there are probably going to be a little more respectful of the rules/regulations since they have spent so much money on their setups.  

I for one am a simulation racer lover and have put some money into my little hobby.  $600 for my Oculus Rift with Touch Controllers, and $400 for my G29 race wheel.  Not a lot compared to some hardcore sim racers out there, but a pretty big chunk of change for an average joe.  I spent this money because I could not stand to race on a 2D flat screen, I could not judge the distance properly so I would have to spend hours learning a track to be competitive on it.  Now with VR I can learn a track within 30 minutes, learn brake points faster, and easily judge distance because of the depth provided by having a slightly different view in each eye.  Not to mention being able to look into your turns.

So I may be going on a rant about my racing hobby in games, but a lot of it translates over the ETS2 and ATS.  I fell in LOVE with ETS2 when I discovered it, and when I heard of ATS coming I about lost my mind (living in the United States myself and have spent a couple of years living in southern California.  I started driving on an XBox One Controller.  I then got a G27 race wheel and took it to a new level.  I went from a 2 monitor setup to a 3 monitor setup so I could get both my Mirrors on screen without having to look from side-to-side with the camera.  After awhile I lost touch with the games.  I got a new job that pays much better, I work steady hours so I have more free time to enjoy gaming again.  So with my extra money, I bought the Rift and the G29.  I went into Steam and installed the VR versions of the game.  I fell in love all over again.  I have had a few issues with "rubberbanding" in the games with VR, but when I figured that out I am all about the game again (need another GTX 1070 to enjoy a better framerate at higher resolutions).  

That is my 2 cents right now.  I would love to enjoy playing ETS2 and ATS online with fellow enthusiasts of these amazing games.  If there is no plans to support VR players unless SCS comes out with up-to-date version of the game for VR I understand.  It takes a lot of time, effort, and money to add more servers/support for a small niche of gamers out there.  Either online or solo, these games are amazing again.  I would just love to take the immersion to the next level with real people.

1 answer to this question

If I remember correctly, VR is a separate branch, which means we would run into the same issue as supporting eg. Mac or Linux, multiple versions to support. This is not something we intend to do simply due to the workload and fairly limited impact it would have for the community.

Additionally VR support would require a developer to have a headset, which is also a quite lofty requirement for something that has limited use in the community in the first place.

If you want to see VR online, once SCS merges it to retail standard branch, the next step to get that support would be to donate so that our developer(s) can afford a headset to add the required support(not that this will guarantee support).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.