Show players on map only if they are outside the draw distance

Suggestion Name: Show players on map only if they are outside the draw distance

Suggestion Description: In order to have a more realistic experience checking for other players around me before some turns, I sometimes disable the "show players on map" option and make myself have to look around for people. This makes overtaking situations quite troubling, though, as I have no knowledge whatsoever about people off my draw distance this way. I'm suggesting this option just in between showing players on map and not.

Any example images: Picture editing? I'm too lazy for that right now haha, I think the explanation is quite clear.

Why should it be added? In order to have a more realistic experience checking for other players around me before some turns, I sometimes disable the "show players on map" option and make myself have to actually look around for people. This makes overtaking situations quite troubling, though, as I have no knowledge whatsoever about people off my draw distance. Such an option will leave no such problems.

• Upvote 2

Ehh -1 due to the fact that seeing someone that far ahead is g beneficial at all. I don't know how many times markers on the gps have saved me because of some idiots flying through intersections or trying to overtake. 

Besides, if you find the markers "unrealistic" turn them off in the settings. Also, if we're talking realism, then surely more important things are things like a fluctuating economy, truck damage, being able to get out of your trucketc etc etc....

• 2 weeks later...

You literally -1'd me because this isn't something that would concern your playing style.

1. If you are dependent on the GPS widely, that is you. I don't want to see people magically while I also want to know about ones outside my draw distance.

2. I'm not trying to get a realistic trucking experience; I'm trying to get a real driving experience while I'm staying safe from dangers I have no way of knowing about.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

Not sure for an ultimate +1/-1.

+1 because the optional choice is great I guess.. since it gives the community more options with regards to how they want their gameplay or how realistic they want their gameplay to be.

-1 because unticking "show players on map" to have a more realistic experience anyway so shouldn't that also give you the realistic experience players would seem to yearn for, even for overtaking or not being able to see further beyond what they can? Like irl, there are no dots to represent commuters on the roads, be it within clear sight or not and that it boils down to overtaking only when very sure the path in front of them is clear.

But yes, I do understand what you mean and that you only want the realistic experience within your radius of sight and that because it's a simulator, you don't mind having dots to simulate the other half of non-realistic gameplay outside your radius at the same time. Idk.. but goodluck with your suggestion :)

Best regards,

MettleMeat.

• Upvote 1

Ex - GM & FM (S.E.A)

I won't +1 or -1 this, but my feeling about the unrealistic dots on the map is that if i were in a real truck (or owned a VR set), I would look around and use mirrors and sounds. Due to the fact that I have to push buttons to look and players just appear and disappear, I use the map often. This wouldn't be a bad option if you had VR, but driving in cities would be unrealistically difficult otherwise. As others have said, I feel like there are other issues that are moch more important than this, but this is a valid request none the less.

As I use an XBox controller to drive, it is quite hard for me to look around quickly. I am heavily dependent on the GPS to see where the traffic is and if it is safe to pull out (I don't bother moving the camera). Maybe this would be OK as a setting you could opt in/out from.

EDIT: Oh, and I use a laptop so my draw distance is terrible, this would make it literally impossible for me to overtake safely.

Edited by tamerlightning3
addded section

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...