Scania vs. Volvo

Mike Dragon

On 4/20/2017 at 4:46 PM, Spieker [GER] said:

I'm actually wondering if the tire size makes a difference. I'm gonna try that out. I'm not quite sure but I think that could work.

Your testing what? See if a tire size makes a difference in what? Speed/torque/power or something? 

I tested a few tires and chassis options and the performance difference (acceleration, braking) is insignificant. Going from the worse to the best tires (front and rear), and chassis from 4x2 to 6x4 from a few models. When you talk about less than a second of difference in the comparisons, I wouldn't even bother about it.

But I'll still give you the worst and best options.

The worst tires are Trailmaster front/rear, and the best are 385/55 Michelin X Line Energy F (front) and 315/70 Michelin X Line Energy D 2 (rear).

The heaviest 4x2 chassis is from the Mercedes New Actros, and the lightest is from the Iveco Stralis (surprisingly!), but most chassis weight the same (Daf, Volvo, Renault, Scania...)

The heaviest 6x4 chassis is from the Volvo FH16 2012, and the lightest is from multiple models including Scania, Renault and Daf.

I haven't tested the stability of the various chassis options though.

KkdaC1b.png

^ So, generally spoken, it comes down to the personal drivers' skills when they are racing because the game is not as realistic (yet) as to represent the actual influences of various parameters like wind, mass or friction.

3 hours ago, LordBenji said:

[...] I haven't tested the stability of the various chassis options though.

I am curious, though. Back in the days, somebody told me that his DAF would perform extraordinarily well when braking at high speeds in curves whilst other trucks like (unfortunately) Scania slide around and start to become unmaneuverable. 

So if you tested it, I would really appreciate that because I, personally, do not see any big difference.

Regards ;)

18 hours ago, LordBenji said:

The heaviest 4x2 chassis is from the Mercedes New Actros, and the lightest is from the Iveco Stralis (surprisingly!),

it's actually the Hiway that is lighter, but it's not really a surprise for the game's only mid-duty trucks.  No other truck in the game has 9/10 L options

Independent driver

On 8/28/2018 at 2:16 PM, caff!!! said:

to quote Revolver Ocelot: I love to reload shift gears during a battle delivery.

I did more testing with various chassis and transmissions.

The Volvo is more stable than the Scania (I hate to say it as a Scania fan...). The 4x2 and 6x4 doesn't seem to have a noticeable difference in term of stability though.

For the transmission, I tried top speed and acceleration test. I could reach the fastest stable top speed with the old Volvo (750 HP engine and 12 speed overdrive), reaching up to 174 km/h on a flat ground. It seems like the 12 speed overdrive transmission lets you reach the fastest speed, while the 12 speed and 6 speed are similarly slower (6-10 km/h slower than the overdrive transmission). For acceleration, there's a few factors that can affect performance like engine and transmission. But they all similarly clock around 12s +-0.5 from 0-100 km/h (using 12 speed with and without overdrive, and 6 speed).

So if we combine all the data I gathered together... The big difference is the stability between the Volvo and Scania, the rest is very similar in terms of performance. Except that the new Volvo has an engine limiter to 2000 rpm, which limits top speed... Old Volvo has rpm limiter to 2300 but it doesn't affect top speed that much. So... Old Volvo might be the best option for the race in my opinion.

KkdaC1b.png

On 4/30/2017 at 8:32 AM, TheRealKDM said:

Scania, its not about the speed its about the truck's design.

I agree, it's all about the customization and being unique as a truck. Plus delivering that freight with an excellent review. 

Thanks, @Scarmiglione75. At the time I posted this thread I was not aware of the RPM limitation on the 2012 FH16. Since then I began working on a comparison video that includes the FH16 Classic and a couple more trucks as well a more specific tests. I just don't think I will be able to finish it before the 13th, though.

Some people should really get a license before even thinking about buying Euro Truck Simulator 2 or American Truck Simulator. Drive safely, folks!

GP53e75.jpg

< < < Don't bet on sinking ships because they'll turn your chips to trash! > > >

@Mike Dragon Im new user and i see almost all your posts , and i have to say Wau nice work in all  posts bro i liked so much your work  keep doing like that

Nahhhh thanks to you was only thing that will improve ur post thats why i said to you that bro  and yes always i take VOLVO FH 16 XL CLASSIC To go everywhere sometimes scania, but volvo can reach 160 with cargo!!! its incredible

cheers dude!!!!

PD: Nice posts and +1

IRL, you'll spend more time in the garage with a Volvo, they are plagued with false sensor faults and go into limp mode. I'd go with the Scania, however in-game it doesn't matter lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived