Scania vs. Volvo

Mike Dragon

Alright, so since I have been selected to participate in the upcoming racing event in May, I have decided to make a few observations and compare the two fastest trucks currently available on ETS2 to find out which one should be the best choice for racing and after some time testing a high-end Volvo and a high-end Scania, I collected the following data (all tests were conducted on singleplayer with mouse steering and no traffic):

Scania Streamline Highline V8

ms3A5zB.jpg

Chassis: 4x2
Engine power: 730 HP (537kW)
Torque: 3,500 Nm/ 1000-1400 RPM
Gearbox: Allison 4500 R (automatic)
Fuel tank: 1400 l
Top speed: 166 KM/h
0 to 100 KM/h: About 10.89 seconds
Stability: 3/5

Volvo FH 16 Globetrotter XL

imkjRe6.jpg
Chassis: 4x2
Engine power: 750 HP (551kW)
Torque: 3,550 Nm/ 1050-1400 RPM
Fuel tank: 1400 l

Top Speed: 156 KM/h
0 to 100 KM/h: About 10.78 seconds
Stability: 4.5/5

Specs-wise, by all means, the Volvo seems to be the better choice. It has a stronger engine, slightly faster acceleration (I have not tested their performance on a manual transmission nor will I. The results might differ from automatic though I can't really test it, myself), it revs a bit higher and it has more torque when compared to the Scania. However, the Scania managed to top its speed at 166 KM/h on a flat straight during my tests while the Volvo topped its speed at 156 KM/h under the same conditions and portion of road. So on this aspect, I'd say the winner is the Scania when it comes to top speed.

However, while the Scania did a great job at being the fastest on a straight line, it didn't do so well when it came to stability on corners. It felt easier to tip over than the Volvo did and in fact, I tumbled over quite a few times more with the Scania than I did with the Volvo under the same circumstances (same average speed, same corners, turning radius, etc.). Additionally, on most of the times the Volvo started to tip over, it was easier to recover than it was with the Scania. Overall, the Volvo seemed to do a better job at cornering.

So to conclude...

Both trucks accelerate about equally, though a high-end Scania may leave a high-end Volvo in the dust on straights, but it can have troubles and be somewhat easily overtaken by the Volvo around corners.

I am not entirely sure if I managed to come to any definitive conclusion with this short analysis. Both trucks are really good in average but both have a advantage and a disadvantage over each other which I suppose can be interpreted as a point of balance, which would probably mean that in the end of the day, find which one excels over the other might come down purely to the driver's abilities behind the wheel. After all, though faster, the Scania presents a higher level of difficulty to corner at high speeds, which can give a player in a Volvo a pretty chance of passing. And we all know how important doing well on the corners can be in a race.

With all that being said, I haven't tested double-rear axle chassis for either truck, yet. I am not sure how much that would affect stability and cornering so I might conduct that experiment later when I have more time.

So well, then. What are your thoughts? I'd like to hear from the community. :)

EDIT: Later on, when I test different chassis, I might test the Mercedes New Acros with the same overall configuration and under the same circumstances as these two here. I just won't include the old Volvo and the Scania R because they are technically the same as their newer counterparts. Their only real difference is the design of the body. If it were April 1st, I'd test a 310 HP Iveco Stralis, too. lol

Some people should really get a license before even thinking about buying Euro Truck Simulator 2 or American Truck Simulator. Drive safely, folks!

GP53e75.jpg

< < < Don't bet on sinking ships because they'll turn your chips to trash! > > >

I agree with @Lorena. I have been a Volvo man ever since I first started playing ETS2 but within the last week or so when I purchased most of the DLC's I love the customization options for the Scania. The model I choose just happened to be a R and I love it now not sure if I will ever go back to a Volvo.

Hello @Mike Dragon,

I really like your idea of comparing two trucks but, as already mentioned in your status update, you have started WW3 with this. However, there is absolutely not point whatsoever in saying that either one of them is better because of preference. 

One wants to get valid data, statistics and needs to provide sufficient evidence. As a matter of fact, it is worth comparing those two trucks as they have the best-powered engines in the game. Nevertheless, it should be taken into consideration that there have to be equal conditions.

This takes me to my first point. You have chosen the

2 hours ago, Mike Dragon said:

Globetrotter XL

version whilst the Scania uses the Highline instead of Topline. Why is that and how does it affect the values?

Well, obviously your truck is bigger and thus increasing the wind resistance. Also, it weighs slightly more.

You next huge 'mistake' was to,

first of all, use automatic and second of all, the Allison transmission.

Why is that a problem? It is a problem because the automatic transmission needs ages, if not decades, to shift from first into second into third (...) gear until it reaches the last one. Since there is no double clutch whatsoever, it makes those gear changes quite lengthy.

What is the problem with the Allison Transmission? I have been and also am I using sometimes this transmission but you definitely notice a huge gap when it comes to high speeds. Taken for granted that I am using the best 12-gear-shifter available each, I can reach speeds up to 165 kph with a new FH whereas the Scania reaches without any cargo easily 170 kph and sometimes even 180. Going down slopes, a Scania can reach 188 kph which I have been testing in SP by teleporting to various slopes.

The mentioned above takes me to my third point, the

driver's abilities behind the wheel

which are existential. Provided, you are shifting manually, you can even outplay some car's accelerations when you are shifting like a boss. Assumed, there were no rules and a straight runway in ETS2MP, you could quickly tell during a drag race who is shifting manually, automatically or like a boss....

...Which takes me to my last point. You said that the

Scania presents a higher level of difficulty to corner at high speeds

which is true as far as I can tell. However, with all those things mentioned above in mind, one could easily brake down to 90 instead of 100 and still take the corner properly in a Scania without necessarily having to lose the lead since a skilled Scania driver accelerates away more quickly.

The last question is, of course, why do I know this. I have taken it for granted that El1teZombiezHD would send me an email because I have been one of the first people who applied thus increasing the likelihood of being taken.

As a result of that, I have been testing every truck all over the whole map to see what they are capable of and what their particularities are. 

I came to the conclusion, that I will not drive "my" normal truck but to buy a new customised (≠ truck which is save edited) which does only have a few high beams attached to see something during the dark and nothing more because I do not need anything apart from a good engine, transmission and of course light.

Lastly, I would like you to not take me too seriously, though, as I am neither complaining not criticising your work. It was just fun taking everything apart and adding my own, personal opinion, to it.

Also, I am aware that many of the things mentioned above to not acutally affect anything since this game is not as realistic as the reality ^^

That being said, thank you very much for your attention and see you when we are racing!

Kind regards ;)

@Mike Dragon The top speed is quite arguable - I went to test the new gearboxes (12-speed, sequential shifting w/ 11t cargo) on that highway north of Lodz and I noticed, that the old  Volvo FH & both Scanias (Streamline and the R series) are now even faster than they were (I managed to reach 193kph with all 3 of them). The things were looking promising in the new FH, but then it hit its rev. limiter around 150kph. I was a bit surprised from that result and I continued with the other trucks...In the end, it turned out that even the Renault Premium with its 460hp engine was faster than the new FH due to its rpm limiter.

^ @maximskor

If you did not officially applied to be a participant and have not yet received any email containing the approximate time and date, you will not be able to take part in it anymore. It will, by the way, be an extra server.

For further information, contact @El1teZombiezHD by clicking his name here. But you will not be able to join, as I said.

Regards ;)

26 minutes ago, Anriandor said:

Well, obviously your truck is bigger and thus increasing the wind resistance. Also, it weighs slightly more.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think that SCS' Prism3D engine calculates the wind resistance, so technically it doesn't matter whether you're using a low-cab Mercedes or a scania Topline for instance. I agree to your other points completely. Nice post btw.

I also don't think that there's a difference between the cabins concerning the height of the center of gravity so a Topline will tip as easy as a normal cabin. 

@Mike Dragon You should consider testing the trucks with different chassis. My assumption is that a 6x4 or 6x2/4 will be more stable in corners, but your truck will also be heavier, so we should decide which variant we will use depending on the course. 

Okay, let me make a few things clearer for apparently they aren't clear enough for some people on the original post:

In no moment I stated truck A is better than truck B. I thought I had made it very clear that both are just as good and that each has their own advantages and disadvantages over each other so both are in balance. Think of it as that Ying Yang thing. I remember saying I could not come to a conclusion and then asked the community what their thoughts are. Another thing I apparently need to clarify is that the results and commentary I exposed in the post are based on the particular specs and particular truck models I used on the tests. In no moment I said that the results I obtained will apply to all Volvos/Scanias and their different combinations of components. In fact, I even stated that the results may differ with different configurations. I thought I had made it very clear that these results are the fruit of the specs I used in the tests. I also said that there are things I have not tested. Now, I am not saying it is all of you but there are a few folks here who seem to have glanced right past these details. Shame on you! Of course I know these trucks would present different performance from what I got in the tests had I used a different kind of gearbox, chassis or even manual transmission, for example. Though I chose those specs you see in the original post. The results are based on those specs!

And by the way, the choice of cab does not, as far as I am aware of, influence on the performance in this game. Only the chassis.

@Anriandor

You quoted a lot of things and commented a lot. I will have to reply to your post separately, later.

@Spieker [GER], @Forerunner

I was actually not aware of the existence of a RPM limiter on the FH16. I never noticed this difference in their engines, to be quite honest. Always thought both Volvos had the same 750 HP engine. lol I will look into that.

Some people should really get a license before even thinking about buying Euro Truck Simulator 2 or American Truck Simulator. Drive safely, folks!

GP53e75.jpg

< < < Don't bet on sinking ships because they'll turn your chips to trash! > > >

4 hours ago, Anriandor said:

^ @maximskor

If you did not officially applied to be a participant and have not yet received any email containing the approximate time and date, you will not be able to take part in it anymore. It will, by the way, be an extra server.

For further information, contact @El1teZombiezHD by clicking his name here. But you will not be able to join, as I said.

Regards ;)

Gotcha. That sucks. Is there anywhere I should look for similar events in the future? Because I would love to participate. 

^

There is, actually, @maximskor! I recommend you follow this section of the forums: https://forum.truckersmp.com/index.php?/forum/226-convoys-and-events/

All official events are posted there. If you follow it, you'll always be notified when something new is posted.

GP53e75.jpg

21 hours ago, Mike Dragon said:

I will have to reply to your post separately, later.

:troll:

I am keen on it! :P

However, that many of the things I mentioned do actually not affect the game because it is just not as realistic as I would like it to be, should be clear as of now. However, I thought of adding some points which were, in my eyes, not the way I, personally, would have liked it to be.

That you have chosen it differently, is of course up to you and especially since you do not have a steering wheel ^^

Nevertheless, let's see how you will destroy my post and things I claimed :lol:

Archived