Keyboard Driver info ?

T-Cell

So, im one of these here keyboard drivers... yeah, dislike me all ye want, i still love driving around and about ♥

I have decided to change my tag to read "TP TransLogics - Keyb. Driver", so that people know, that i AM somewhat handicapped in terms of ultra-fina ajustments to direction... Aka, i want to warn people before they go nuts :S

Things i noticed that im having issues with, when running keyboard...
1: I cannot type anything, unless i want my truck to do all kinds of weird things... (In the ingame chat ofc...)
2: Breaking.... i DO break VERY hard, even though the settings are at their lowest.... This CAN cause some interesting un-intentional fenderbenders :S

3: Steering... Having a choice of either a fast responding steering, or a slow one, i chose the semi-fast one. (set at app 45%). Makes cornering less of a hassle, but... going straight, CAN be a bit of an issue :S

These things considered.... I personally find, that adding that info in my tag, is needed to warn people around me, to keep an extra centimeter of distance, unless they find my driving to be perfectly fine...
How usefull is it though, for you, the other drivers ? :S

5 minutes ago, The Imaginative Lad said:

Have you tried mouse controls? I know some people here use a mouse to control steering. 

I've only ever used mouse controls in OMSI but it is way better than keyboard controls. Apart from that, I use my G29 (sorry had to mention it :P

Heh, i did try and mouse around in singleplayer mode.... not sure, if i'll EVER get a repair bill that large again O.o
I DO feel quite confident using WASD for steering... Though, im staying on EU1 untill i have a wallet that can cover the repairbills... (yeah, ive seen the videos from that server... EEEEEK O.O )

As fer G29 ... shouldnt be too long before i have that beauty :P .... but untill then... Well... "Keyb. driver" it will say in the tag-bar...

The keyboard is the most essential thing, Back in the day before I found out I could use my PS4 controller I used to go on a Mouse+Keyboard Combo. Controls are as follows:

Mouse:

• Left Mouse Button: Left Turn indicator
  • Right Mouse button: Right turn Indicator
  • In game steering sensitivity: LOW (So you dont oversteer that much)

Keybord:

• W: Gas
  • S: Brake
  • A: Horn
  • D: Lights
  • Tab: Basic player TAB list
  • Q: Chat

Well that is pretty basic but helped me alot! A great tip for Mouse steering is to set the lowest DPI and high steering sensitivity or but a High DPI and put a low in steering sensitivity. 

I'm using keyboard for years at all kinds of driving-racing games. Never played with steering wheel or mouse. If you are one of the quick ones, you should use high sensivity for avoiding accidents, and good luck with the straight roads as you said. I prefer a little lower sensivity of default settings, because I always think about ahead, and only drive quick when no one is around. If I can't avoid an accident -i.e. carrying too much speed to a corner, braking a little late for turning a 90 degree turn etc.- I use all of my brakes -engine, trailer, lower gears- for slowing down, or stopping if I need to. With the lower sensivity, you can avoid overturning in -even- normal speeds and keeping truck straight in line is so much easier.

I used keyboard. I personally think that I was a slightly safer driver as I was generally forced to brake before corners in order to turn safely etc. However, now that I've got a wheel, I feel that I've got a lot more control over my truck and I would recommend using a wheel over anything else. 

NqBHV9L.png TruckersMP - Staff Team Member NqBHV9L.png

- Twitter | Steam | Facebook | YouTube | Discord -

Do you maybe have a controller kicking around that you could use instead until you got the wheel? You might find that easier

jarfull.png         

The thing with mouse steering is actually that finding the right steering sensitivity can take a whole lot of time (so it's not just selecting it and drive just like that, i think i spent a few hours of fine tuning just before i found the right setup for me. This testing should be done in SP of course, but once i got it right, it actually made my life a whole lot easier.). With the keyboard you get a few disadvantages, which you already covered in your post.

You can choose either from a setup that allows you to take tight corners more efficiently, which in return makes it almost impossible to take slight turns or straights perfectly. Or you could choose a low steering sensitivity, which makes driving on the motorways more enjoyable, turns into a nightmare though in tight corners as it takes ages for the wheels to actually steer fully in. Or you could go in between, which kind of mixes both the advantages but also disadvantages from these options. Either way, you will never get a perfect setup with the keyboard. Of course at the end of the day it's completely up to you what type of controller input you choose, if you feel comfortable with it, it is ok. I can just recommend though trying to play around a bit with the mouse steering, as i for myself would never change back to the keyboard...

PS: @Tina Cille Pedersen You shouldn't actually bother at all if somebody hates you for driving a keyboard, because this would be just as immature as it gets. In the end it doesn't depend on the input device at all if somebody is a good driver or not. I have already seen players using a keyboard that actually drove way better than some people using high-end steering wheels. As long as you drive carefully and respect others, you should be perfectly fine... ;)

signature.png

Visit us on stvtc.co.uk or join our Discord-channel

Had my go on the EU2 server..... quite fun really o.O

A few, did a "WTF" after i made a "brake'n break" in a cornoer.... but i, peronnaly, din get a bump or notch o,O
Seems the server is unstable though....

Seems, the general consensus, is that keyb driving, is more the norm really.... will keep mah info there though... as that, beforementioned warning :S

Sadly, i do not have periphials like a controller :S ... had a G27 once, but... sold it, as i din relly feel i had a need for it anyhow..... and then, a month later i run into ETS -,-

17 hours ago, Tina Cille Pedersen said:

Sadly, i do not have periphials like a controller :S ... had a G27 once, but... sold it, as i din relly feel i had a need for it anyhow..... and then, a month later i run into ETS -,-

Haha, i guess life is just rude sometimes. But just don't let it get over you, even with only a keyboard ETS 2 can still bring you lots of fun. And believe me when i say: No matter how much of a struggle you have with the keyboard, you will never ever be the worst driver around as i (and probably everyone else here too) have already seen driving skills so bad that i couldn't actually believe what i was seeing at first instance... :D (*cough* even some in-game admins streaming had driving skills that made me leave their stream after getting sea-sick *cough*)

signature.png

Visit us on stvtc.co.uk or join our Discord-channel

I was once a keyboard player, With mouse steering, it was all right until i sneezed and i threw my truck and load into a grass field. Ever since then i use a controller, it's good enough and gets the job done but i would really like a wheel but i cant afford one. From time to time if im on a long journey, i would set my cruise put my controller down and steer with my arrow keys.

Ride them cowboy... yee haaww

Yeah as others said if you take the game seriously and play a lot I really recommend getting a wheel. I had my G27 before I had actually started playing ETS (it is what actually got me into the game) and after playing for a few hundred hours, I always think about how I probably wouldn't still be around should I have not had it. :)

"2: Breaking.... i DO break VERY hard, even though the settings are at their lowest.... This CAN cause some interesting un-intentional fenderbenders :S"

As someone who has been driving with a keyboard since the beginning and with no issues at all (I even use the default sensibility), my recommendation is that you set up and make use of your engine brake and retarder so you won't have to brake hard unless in the event of an emergency. You won't have problems with braking if you do that. I don't.

Some people should really get a license before even thinking about buying Euro Truck Simulator 2 or American Truck Simulator. Drive safely, folks!

GP53e75.jpg

< < < Don't bet on sinking ships because they'll turn your chips to trash! > > >

Archived