afk timer

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well to be honest it would be greatly abused, because there would be so many parked vehicles and people would move them for few centimeters just to avoid getting kicked. That would affect on lower FPS of clients, slower server responses because there are more players on the server and longer join-in queues.  

I'd like to have it, for example if I am going to a toilet and I get a call. It would be really nice to have it, but it would be bad for the TMP overall.

I think that you shouldn't be kicked from the server for being afk at such times like when you are in the garage or truck configuration screen. Many times i have been kicked for being afk when i have been in the truck or trailor configeration screens. This is very annoying, i understand the need for AFK timers but i don't think it should apply when in the configuration screens.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Rammy73 said:

I think that you shouldn't be kicked from the server for being afk at such times like when you are in the garage or truck configuration screen. Many times i have been kicked for being afk when i have been in the truck or trailor configeration screens. This is very annoying, i understand the need for AFK timers but i don't think it should apply when in the configuration screens.

I agree with you but players may use configuration screens to stay AFK for a long time and as a solution servers will be full. However, in my opinion AFK timer would be nice to see how much time we have before being kicked.  

• 1 month later...

^^^ Something DOES appear telling you to move or be kicked... Problem is that if you're not looking at your screen, you won't see it. Only solution would be to add a sound so if you're doing something else away from your computer, you'd be warned and able to check before the server kicks you. Provided that you're close enough to hear the sound, obviously.

But I find it unbelievable, how selfish from some people to ask for a 30 minutes AFK timer so they can go and have lunch without being kicked? What would be next? "Let's make the AFK timer be 2 hours so I can go take a nap without being kicked"?? If I have to leave the game for more than 10 minutes, I'll just quit and then launch again, if I have to wait for several minutes because of the queue, so be it (or I'll simply cancel and connect to a different server if I'm not in the mood for waiting). Let's not forget that the AFK timer was implemented to avoid players being just using a server slot while not actually playing. TBH, I believe that the AFK autokick should be only avoidable by moving the truck a minimum distance, not like now that anyone can simply keep spamming the chat with empty messages or dots and stay connected for hours while others have to wait a lot of time because the server has no free slots.

The only valid point I've read here is that about being on the truck configuration screen and being kicked for AFK while one is customizing a truck. I've customized lots of trucks and it never took longer than 10 minutes, it requires a lot of "thinking" to spend more than 10 minute deciding what you want to install and what not. But it is true that the AFK autokick should not be triggered if the player is actually using the game, even when the truck is not moving. I don't know if it can be done, but instead of looking for vehicles stopped for more than X minutes, the AFK script should look for game clients with no activity for more than X minutes. Someone stops and Alt+TABS to watch Youtube videos, there's no activity in the game, kicked. Someone stops, enters a shop, starts choosing a truck, the parts to be installed, etc. there's a constant activity so the AFK timer doesn't even start ticking.

• True Story 1

9 hours ago, FernandoCR [ESP] said:

But it is true that the AFK autokick should not be triggered if the player is actually using the game, even when the truck is not moving.

And we all know what will happen next:
all AFK players will be found at a repair shop pretending they customize their vehicles to not get kicked... :lol:

48 minutes ago, Maze said:

Unfortunately I don't think it's a good idea... what's the point of having a AFK countdown timer if you are AFK in the first place? 

Well .. A good question actually haha.
But it would have been good if they had changed the amount of time they had before they were kicked out of the server. For yesterday, I sat down on a parking to get a glass of water, when I came back I realized that they had kicked me. So a good idea if they start with parking lots, so once you have parked on a parking lot, a small hour we say in 10 minutes starts to appear on the screen.
Just so you know how long you are going to have to a afk.

• Confused 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Hello,

Thank you for the suggestion!

As of March of this year, the timings of the AFK kick have been adjusted. They vary in relation to player count, and Patron status. A simple diagram explanation can be found here, and a similar explanation from another thread can be found here.  

While there is no counter on-screen to show how long is left as per your original suggestion, you are able to check which setting for the counter is in use, by using the /server command when in-game. It will give a result, like this.

Ironically, if you were unsure on how long you had been AFK up to that point, typing it or any other command would reset the counter anyway. 

Safe travels!

Regards,

Krewlex

Community Manager

// Completed