Save Editing Tutorial (In-Depth) + Video

@LordBenji I am having trouble converting the game.sii folder into something that can easily be edited and I was curious to see if what i was looking to achieve is even possible.

I am simply trying to change the color of gray accents on a paint job that are not configurable in game. Thanks for any advice you might have! :)

http://prntscr.com/n6nod0

@cishore I don't think there's is an "easy" way to modify the file if you do it like in this tutorial. But I can give you tips on how to do what you aim for.

If you don't have many trucks, it should be easy to find the truck in question. Although, if you have a lot of trucks, you may want to make sure you're driving the truck you want to modify, for easier reference. Then you can search for "my_truck: " and there's only one occurrence conveniently. You'll need to search for that address until you'll see "vehicle : " followed by the address. Optionally, you can copy the address and paste it in a new notepad document.

Next part requires a little bit of search, since you'll want to scroll down and find the paint job of your DAF. You can look for clues, like if nearby parts has reference to "daf.xf", or search for the address of the paint job, which should bring you back to the list of accessories. Then you can look further above for the vehicle address and see if it matches the one pasted in the new notepad document.

For the actual paint job, it'll be a little bit tricky to have custom colors without the right tools, since you probably won't go too far with something that looks like this: "&3f7b74cd". That's the way SCS decided to save the color values. I'm going to guess the darker shade of gray on that paint job might be one of those mask color (I'm not sure why SCS made it _r, _g, and _b since they're just color 2, 3 and 4, while 1 is base color). When it's unused, you'll usually see something like (1, 0, 0), (0, 1, 0), or (0, 0, 1) with commas in between, but not always the case. Since you want the second color to be red (really simply color), I think the quickest way would be to put the first three mask colors as (1, 0, 0), so you'll be guaranteed to get the result you want. If you want a different shade of red, you might need to use a tool for that, there should be a link for it in the tutorial.

KkdaC1b.png

12 hours ago, LordBenji said:

@ScaniaFan89 I remember Forerunner saying it was against the rules a while ago. Well at least if you try to add a new air horn with different sound via a /home mod, since it's not a regular accessory item, but an addon. If you try to make a mod out of the sii file, it'll only work in single player.

i mean is it possible to swap the sound like with truck sounds, i dont mean add a new horn

2 hours ago, ScaniaFan89 said:

i mean is it possible to swap the sound like with truck sounds, i dont mean add a new horn

There is a textline in the sound def file for a truck which sound it uses

but i don't know if it saves the horn with the truck after you bought it, i don't think so. In that case this would be a no. Ii'l try this later this evening.

76561198136578762.png

1 hour ago, legobrammetje said:

I got the sound to change in singleplayer but it doesn't save with the truck and go to multiplayer. At least i can't get it to work. 

Couldn't find anything about the horn in your save either. 

Well thats annoying, that will be because the def files in mp are default...i can't help thinking scs removed or hid more horn sounds, back when going east was new they had more real horn sounds but removed them! thats one thing that bugs me about scs, how they record stuff that actually sounds good & then remove it, probably why they stopped doing sound recording videos because people realised they were mostly bs 

Is it possible to transfer trucks and trailers across the different profiles? For example i have one profile where i did setup the truck and trailers and i want to switch to another one where i have multiple mods. Point is i dont want to just duplicate profile because it will mess my mod order. So, first profile is truck and trailers with the mods set up, and the second one is one with all those mods + bunch of others maps and stuff. I can just duplicate profile and set up the mod order but this seems a lot faster way than doin it all again.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, [VIVΛ] Nudlz said:

Is it possible to transfer trucks and trailers across the different profiles? For example i have one profile where i did setup the truck and trailers and i want to switch to another one where i have multiple mods. Point is i dont want to just duplicate profile because it will mess my mod order. So, first profile is truck and trailers with the mods set up, and the second one is one with all those mods + bunch of others maps and stuff. I can just duplicate profile and set up the mod order but this seems a lot faster way than doin it all again.

Can't you just duplicate the save.sii file from one savegame to another?

76561198136578762.png

3 hours ago, [VIVΛ] Nudlz said:

You can copy and paste the relevant parts of the save files to transfer a truck or trailer, the only catch is that the existing profile save might already have used some of the ID strings that the new save used for your new truck. Personally I find it less time consuming to build the same truck as close as possible in the "main" account and then paste the necessary alterations in the save file. Most of the work is already done and you're just altering already established ID strings.

19 hours ago, [VIVΛ] Nudlz said:

It's possible to transfer your truck from one profile to another, but you have to remember that you need to copy the right things to the right place. Might not be worth it going down that route. Like you have to copy the truck, its accessories, and then also declare that you do have the truck in your list of trucks, and also in which garage it's assigned to.

15 hours ago, norgeek said:

You can copy and paste the relevant parts of the save files to transfer a truck or trailer, the only catch is that the existing profile save might already have used some of the ID strings that the new save used for your new truck. Personally I find it less time consuming to build the same truck as close as possible in the "main" account and then paste the necessary alterations in the save file. Most of the work is already done and you're just altering already established ID strings.

Yeah but the chances that the address string being used is very slim. But having a custom address would get rid of that problem (but have fun renaming each one of them). Building the truck as close as possible is one way of doing it, and another possibility is to make a mod to add that truck in the dealership, but probably not worth it.

KkdaC1b.png

• 2 weeks later...

@super37s is there any specific modification you want to do on the double? Is it the paint job you want to change, or the rear trailer chassis?

I can give you a few tricks. Use the trailer you want to perform the modifications, and save the game. That way you can look for "my_trailer", and it will give you the address of the current trailer.

I often recommend using a dummy trailer. What do I mean by that? It's a trailer that you select from a job, with the chassis, parts, or paint job of your liking. You can use that trailer which has the parts you want, and save it, so you can take the trailer and/or part you want to use in another text document, for reference.

If you want the paint, you just need the data path (and all the colors), as you will simply replace the content of the paint job object bound to the trailer of choice.

As for an actual trailer you want to use, you will need to copy the object block of the trailer, and the parts that is bound to that trailer. Don't forget the addresses, each trailers and parts are unique "objects", hence why the addresses must be different.

Let's say I want to replace the rear trailer of a B-Double with a tipper. I would first find a job with any tipper and select it. After I save the game, and find my trailer. I copy the block, and all the accessory blocks and save it in my new document. I change all the address and put 1 instead of 0 at the end of each one. Then I would abandon the tipper job, and buy a b-double, and modify it the way I like it (the simpler, the easier). I would use the b-double and save the game. I could decide to put the custom wheels on the tipper but it would be very easy to keep the tipper wheels already with the tipper. So I would look for my current double, and look for the slave_trailer. Then I would proceed to delete all the accessories of the trailer (and maybe leave clues where the beginning and ending of rear trailer accessories are, so I can select everything in between). Then I would delete the trailer block too. Now I would copy the tipper trailer and place it in the location of the deleted rear trailer. Then I'd copy the address of trailer block, and put it where the slave_trailer of the double is. I would save the document, then reload my save game, and it should work if there was no mistakes done (like wrong address, block is there but is not declared, address is declared but block is not present, etc.)

• Thanks 2

KkdaC1b.png