how to actually drive up a steep hill?

Chreazzy

So here is what happened to me a few hours ago... I wanted to exit a highway in the middle of Scandinavia and there were 2 other people in front of me. The exit was really steep and because of the 2 others in front of me, I was forced to make a full stop on the steep hill. Afterwards I tried to put my 1. gear in and started to drive the truck up the hill but I got somehow stuck. I pressed F7 and drove again to the exact location back where I got stuck and made this video here:

This video was taken on the exact location where I was forced to stop and I drove back because I wanted to record it as a test to show you the problem I mean.

The thing here was: I had a Renault Magnum 520PS and a 50ton trailer (wanted some challenge) so with a Scania R730 and a 5ton trailer, this problem wouldn't happen. Nevertheless I'm still asking you how to solve it.

What I did was I put my 1. gear in the truck (I have a G27 setup with a gear changer, steering wheel and pedals) and I tried to find the best spot between the coupling and the gear. When I pressed too much on the coupling pedal the truck literally drives backwards down the hill. When I left my feet of the coupling pedal and only drive with full speed, the engine stops working (probably because not enough engine power). You can see in the video what I mean.

And the reason why I showed my TAB during the whole test is not only to show my own, personal UI Mr.Harv made for me (:D) but also to show that I was alone at this moment. So I didn't block/handicap/etc anyone. So no one can say that I blocked someone or griefed ^^

Now, how can you handle this situation? The only solution I found was either drive all the way backwards or press F7. And how do you handle this situation in real life? Imagine you have to fully stop irl on a steep hill and you have the same situation as I showed ingame? 

a0ee8e7bc3.jpg

I can only talk for what to do in game. 

Put the truck in the lowest gear you can, make sure the clutch bites and give the accelerator a good kick, at the end of the day it's all about clutch control :) If the truck won't do it, then F7+Enter. IRL truck drivers would have to reverse downhill or do that bumper push thing. <- Don't do that in game

However, the problem could be solved by not stopping  on a hill once you have momentum :P

1105615.png

MsduciabaA29N7MEu7DlydS4GHo%3D.png

Have a problem with your ban? Make an appeal

What you did is the worst case scenario, 50 tons trailer. I like to drive with trucks with low HP engine so it happens to me also from time to time. 2 things you can try or a combination of both. 

Parking brake on, clutch pressed, floor the gas pedal, and quickly drop the clutch and release parking brake all at the same time. 

If that doesn't work, you can also try this. clutch pressed, hold the brake, and press on the gas pedal at the same time as your slowly release the brake pedal, you are actually pressing both pedals at the same time. It's like doing a Heel and Toe like I do in my car when I drive on a race track. You flip your right foot and hold the brake with your big toe and press the gas with the side of your foot. 

Takes practice and even then, sometimes I can't do it. 

I'd love to have lower gears than first gear :) 

Since I can see that there's snow on the ground does that mean it's slippery?

I don't know how it works in this game but those 2 axle trucks like the one you have get stuck ALL the damn time up here in the winter, doesn't matter if it's good or bad weather as soon as they reach a hill they basically get stuck and need to drive with chains on all the time. We Scandinavians tend to use 6x2 or 6x4 trucks up here, they manage way better on slippery roads because on a 6x2 you'll just lift the rear axle to put more weight on the driving axle to push you up a hill and clearly on a 6x4 you got drive on both rear axles and they tend to handle hills very good. You might want to try one of those combos and see if they work better?

Would have been cool to see if you managed to get up easier with such a truck actually. :) 

That's what desire is, the need for what we can't have.

The need for what's readily available is called greed.

10 minutes ago, The Imaginative Lad said:

at the end of the day it's all about clutch control :)

Indeed but I think also its about engine power ^^ Doesn't matter how good clutch control you have, if you have a truck with 520ps and a 50ton trailer (like I had) nothing can help you at all :D 

I had this situation 1-2 times before and it was a really nervous situation. The problem wasn't because of the engine power but of my clutch control. I was on a steep hill (also exiting a highway) and tried to drive but I didnt manage the situation. Afterwards a few players were at the back of me, spammed the chat full, flashed and horned at me because they thought I was blocking their way on purpose. Unfortunately most drivers dont have pedals so I think they didnt understand the problem I had (I think with automatic things are alot easier). After all it was me who failed but this situation that I show in this topic is surely caused by the low engine power ^^

^^

Well that's actually false, I drive a Scania R580 at my job and it handles hills really good even on slippery conditions and is WAAAAAY better than a Scania R730 on slippery roads. The reason behind this is that the R730 is actually way too strong and you easily start spinning on the roads with it if you give it a little too much gas.

1 hour ago, The Imaginative Lad said:

:P

1 hour ago, Sysgen said:

:) 

1 hour ago, Noxii said:

ALL the damn time

So what I just did is following things: I drove with my normal Renault Premium 4x2 on the steepest road in the map (Switzerland). I tried all the tips you gave me and I couldn't handle the situation.

Afterwards I tried Renault Premium 6x4 (with exact same ps like before), went on the same spot back and tried it again with my 50ton trailer - didn't work either.

So I took my Volvo FH16 750HP 4x2, went with the 50ton trailer for the third time back to the steepest spot in the game and.. it did work!

For the last time I tried again with my Volvo but now 6x4 and it also worked. On all 4 tries I did, I used every tip you gave me, all happened on the exact same spot and the exact same trailer.

Conclusion: Ingame it's all about the PS, as long as you don't have enough PS not even your best coupling control works. All about power.

In real life however I'm sure it's all about traction, so a lift axle / boogie is defenitly a benefit here indeed. 

Nevertheless thanks for your answers :D 

^You've also got to remember the torque zone of the engine. If you are out of that zone, then you have no chance of moving a 50T trailer up a hill. If you can get moving, keep it in the torque zone, no point in pushing the engine harder as it has to work more and will use more fuel, for less power.

1105615.png

5 minutes ago, The Imaginative Lad said:

^You've also got to remember the torque zone of the engine. If you are out of that zone, then you have no chance of moving a 50T trailer up a hill. If you can get moving, keep it in the torque zone, no point in pushing the engine harder as it has to work more and will use more fuel, for less power.

Yeah, I know. On every single try I only tried to drive as slow as possible, don't want to change the gear or anything similar like that.

I know this situation in real life when I used to join my fathers work. We were on highway and there were alot of times where truck drivers overtook us (in front of a hill) and after that they went slower and slower (but we were empty, they were full loaded) so my father was also forced to drive slower and slower to keep the safety distance. And then we actually lost our momentum and had to drive as slow as the one in front of us too, a really stupid moment for everyone.

Its easy to hill start if you're not using a clutch/h-shifter but in the case of using a clutch and h-shifter the method I use is just raising the clutch til the 'biting point' and floor it then taking off the hand brake. Works well enough. A good way to practice clutch control would be to try and hold yourself in the same place on a steep hill by only using the accelerator and the clutch (don't do this irl - it'll burn out your clutch!) I also believe this is occasionally covered in driving lessons/tests in the UK but don't quote me on that

The clutch "feel" in game is really not great, almost feels like an on/off switch. You can't ride it like in real life, it's all or nothing. Even though in the option when I press it in the slider goes up and down but it feels like a switch, If it was possible to ride it, it would be possible to launch on steep hills, but as soon as you start to release it, boom, the engine dies. 

36 minutes ago, FozzyGuy said:

Its easy to hill start if you're not using a clutch/h-shifter but in the case of using a clutch and h-shifter the method I use is just raising the clutch til the 'biting point' and floor it then taking off the hand brake. Works well enough. A good way to practice clutch control would be to try and hold yourself in the same place on a steep hill by only using the accelerator and the clutch (don't do this irl - it'll burn out your clutch!) I also believe this is occasionally covered in driving lessons/tests in the UK but don't quote me on that

Most driving lesson companies use cars with a 'hill assist' function. That basically takes all the fun away from pulling away on a steep hill. This also means that holding the car with the clutch on a hill becomes near impossible to do. I believe with some companies you can request for it be turned off, but I am not fully sure about that.

1105615.png

1 hour ago, The Imaginative Lad said:

Most driving lesson companies use cars with a 'hill assist' function. That basically takes all the fun away from pulling away on a steep hill. This also means that holding the car with the clutch on a hill becomes near impossible to do. I believe with some companies you can request for it be turned off, but I am not fully sure about that.

Some companies have it disabled just to teach people about how to start on a hill with HSA so if they were to buy a cheapo car then they would know how to deal with hill starts.

Well what conclusion can we make out of this you think?

I would say it's the same as always, we all know that Renault trucks are crap and that Volvo and Scania is the best ones for the job out there.

I wonder why, is it perhaps that both is Made in Sweden, Swedish quality like everything else Swedish I would say! :D

5 hours ago, Noxii said:

Well what conclusion can we make out of this you think?

I would say it's the same as always, we all know that Renault trucks are crap and that Volvo and Scania is the best ones for the job out there.

I wonder why, is it perhaps that both is Made in Sweden, Swedish quality like everything else Swedish I would say! :D

Well :D But I only chose the Renault Magnum because it was actually one of the trucks I grew up with :) Alot of people say that Renault Magnum looks really disgusting from the design and I kinda agree with this fact but I think that doesn't matter how ugly a truck is, as long as you grew up with it you will always love the truck :D I loved the entry to the vehicle, you have to climb up a ladder (like in a MACK) and inside you have at the back two seats with a table, and alot of space in the cabine ^^

• 3 weeks later...

Archived