Make the installer store mod files in the install directory

Sala296

Suggestion Name:
Make the installer store mod files in the install directory

Suggestion Description:
Currently, the installer saves mod files (the core ETS2 & ATS2 mod plus the current winter mod) within program data. I know this is a common thing and is most likely considered good practice, however the vast majority of us are probably using SSDs so free space is treasured. I would like to be able to have the files (winter mod above all else, due to its more noticeable size) saved on the drive that the launcher itself was installed to.

Any example images: N/A

Why should it be added?:

It will give players more control over the use of their drive space.

76561198126149890.png

Actually, statistically, more people play these games on older style machines that have HDDs instead of SSDs so really the need is low in retrospect.

plus,it's not like multiplayer takes up 35GB of space as most games do on average, so unless your SSD is crammed to the max, you should never have an issue. I have just a single HDD in my current rig (soon to be replaced by twin SSD and quad HDD) yet mp takes up less space than 90% of my mod files and install files for all other games I own and modify. 

So personslly, I give this a -1 because surely if it's possible, it would have:

a. Asked for before

b. Already explored in early development. 

That may be so, and to be fair it isn't a significant issue since as you stated it isn't that large on the scale of things. However, I have this thing for having everything stored in what I consider an organised manner. Storage wise it isn't really an issue but I just would like to have the freedom to choose. (Also, regarding the higher amount of HDD users, that genuinely comes as quite a surprise if i'm honest)

76561198126149890.png

23 hours ago, Salamander115 said:

That may be so, and to be fair it isn't a significant issue since as you stated it isn't that large on the scale of things. However, I have this thing for having everything stored in what I consider an organised manner. Storage wise it isn't really an issue but I just would like to have the freedom to choose. (Also, regarding the higher amount of HDD users, that genuinely comes as quite a surprise if i'm honest)

Look at it this way, (and I know this because I'm in the middle of building a new rig) a 2tb HDD costs me £70. A 2tb SSD cost over £200 if not £300, so in terms of budget running, HDDs will be the better option, so most have HDD machines because they're cheaper for the storage space, although my plan for my new rig is to have 2 250gb SSDs, 2 3tb HDDs and a 4tb backup/redundant that will run in case of SSD or HDD failure, everything's backed up on a separate HDD. It's much cheaper. 

But us on a serious note, just because you want things to be organised, doesn't mean to say everyone else does, plus, for all the injection codes and sync files to work correctly, there's no real way around having them separate or combined is much less a debate of, oh I want more SSD space, to, willthe files work if the game is installed on SSD but the mod is on HDD separate, there's a lot more communication involved. 

Mostly, once winter is over, hopefully the winter mod is disabled and so we gain that 800mb of space back, but on the face of it, ETS2 alone takes up well over 3GB last time I checked on steam, so it's not all that bad, it could be worse, GTA 5 is over 70GB now to download.. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...