Exponential Bans (First 3 offenses)

AirBiscuit

Suggestion Name: Exponential ban system for the first 3 bans

Suggestion Description: The length of time a user is banned for should be multiplied by the amount of previous bans they've had, meaning that repeat offenders get banned for longer with every successive time they're banned, discouraging the offenses more than the current threat of a month ban for the 4th time.

Why should it be added?: In the current system, the admin banning the person decides the length of time they'll be banned for, but as long as they've been banned less than 4 times the punishment is minimal, a week at most. The longer they're off the roads for, the less time needs to be wasted punishing them.

When I thought of this, I didn't realise the 4th ban was a for a month no matter what, but I still think it would be useful for the first 3.

• Upvote 1

Every game has trolls,if they dont want to get banned,they would not break them,but an troller dont care.

I still like the idea.

Greetz,DerPatrick9  eymAgcq.png P19Gj7N.png kxhDML1.png

not necessarly... every Admin is diferent and some admins are more lenient then others...

I dont believe in leniency nor forgiveness... if your banned by me 98% of the times it will be ban appeal rejected... you realy need to give me a good argument and/or proof of wht happened to me to unban you!

But most dont think that way...

For something that "may be" an accident... i tend to give 1-2-3 days depending... 

But if i look at you and see its Intentional... if i look and see its without a doubt intentional you will eat 2 weeks no matter if its your 1st, 2nd, 3rd...

Now for some this may seem Harsh... but when you'v been an Admin in TMP for as long as i have and seen all your efforts and second chances going away and getting wasted... you become abit more rigid in your decisions aswell as harsher!

And that is why this "Ban system" is in place... users have 3 chances... until we give them the last 3 chances which they dont have a choice in the matter...

so 1st, 2nd and 3rd punishment we give you the benefit of the doubt... 4th is 1 month, 5th is 3 months and 6th is permanent and ban appeals cannot be accepted in 4th, 5th and 6th no matter what!

which means "Good users", "good drives" wont have problems...

So the point of your post... yes some IGA's should be more severe but thats why the first 3 chances are there... to give them the benefit of the doubt!

Regards, Z

• Upvote 5

76561198099032395.png

The thing is, if a troll is out causing trouble, they won't care how long they are banned for the first, second, third, fourth or fifth time, yet the average joe who can make simple mistakes, they are the ones who are getting penalised, I mean come on people, we are all human, we all make mistakes, whether it's braking too late and ramming into someone to drift into oncoming traffic because you're reaching for something irl. 

The current system works and works okay, although 1, 2 and 3 could do with being made more on a guideline basis, not at "admin disgression" because that leads to the age old thing of "break the rules in front of x, he will only give you an hour ban, but if you see y, drive to the exact letter of the rules", which in my opinion is wrong,

ideally, every rule should have a guideline set for the number of offences against the person, the circumstance and the rule that is broken, so instead of only getting, say, a day ban for reckless driving, if it's your 1st, 12 hours, 2nd, 4 days, 3rd, 1 week, 4th, 1 month, 5th, 3 months, 6th, permanent. 

It it should never be left to the admin to pick the punishments, in my opinion, it should be fixed so that no matter the admin, everyone gets banned the same for the same reason, the same number of strikes etc, it just makes more sense to me to have it rigid.

i won't name a admin here, but I almost got banned for a 1st offence for 2 weeks for a reason that wasn't even caused by me directly, it was mostly caused by server lag and bad timing, plus the admin being childish and waiting for the smallest excuse, even though he wasn't marked as an admin at all so no one would know who they were... 

the rules led need to be uniform across the board honestly.

Like zmaster said: some admins tend don't like or dare to give longer bans but if you have been doing this for a long period of time you have seen it all and all the excuses that come with it.

Another problem with current ban system is that whith the 1 month, 3 month and then permanent ban is that we rarely can give a permanent ban even for the most severe trolls just because you have a high chance of the first ban being over a year old after that user has received a 1 month and then a 3 month ban which results in admins not being able to get rid of the rotten apples because of this. They just have to wait a bit and their "first active" ban will be over a year old and then they aren't elegible for a permanent ban anymore since they don't have 5 bans within the 1 year period.

Regards
Prime
Service & Data Analyst

• 3 years later...