Experiencing kernel error or random crashes on TruckersMP Island? ×

Why is driving correctly considered so... Boring?

JeffSFC

I would like some opinions on this please. I see players here on the forums talk about how they don't stick to speed limits because "it's too boring" or driving fast "tests my skill." Really? Where's the fun in that? This game is a SIMULATOR, as indicated by the word simulator being in the title of the game. Do you think multiplayer would have a more engaging and rewarding experience if people drove like this? (see video below) Do you think less accidents would occur? I do. I think we could all benefit a bit more if everyone drove patiently and methodically.

So, I recorded this video earlier tonight on a ~450 player EU2. I know it's not peak hours and it's also on a very light traffic Calais/Duisburg road. If you do watch it through, you will see that I come across a few nice players who see to take the simulator aspect seriously enough. To me, it's all in the small details. Things like dipping your headlights when you pass an oncoming truck, or signalling a thank you when you recognise how we like to handle proper overtaking procedure here at ETS2MP. You'll also see where a bit of patience and situational awareness saved me from causing an accident that would have been my fault. (Don't always rely on the map!) And, IF you so desire to watch the entire boring (hey! that's subjective) B road drive, you will even witness me pulling into the wrong depot because I assumed I was at the right location.

Please don't mistake this for a rant. I doubt this will change the state of the driving mentality I see day in and day out online. I just want to hear other players opinions on this please.

Also, if you prefer to drive... correctly, as I like to put it, let me know and send me a friend request on Steam!

5ekjGCj.png

Intel i7 7700k│ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero│G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 16GB 3000MHz │EVGA GTX 1080 FTW│EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2│Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe M.2/Samsung 850 EVO 500GB│Corsair H100i v2│Corsair iCUE 465x RGB

Audio Technica AD700's│Beyerdymanic DT770's 80Ω│Corsair Strafe RGB Blues│Logitech G502 Spectrum│Alienware AW3420DW

[EN] Yeah @JeffSFC 

I agree with you about being a simulation game and here in Brazil the truckers give a "Hi!" On the radio, they blink (as even the cars themselves sometimes ...) and even honk, and that's what I do myself, in Multiplayer.
I also agree that everyone has to have PATIENCE and we all have DIFFERENCE on the Internet from each and we have to keep us at a SAFE distance.

I see many and many cases that there are people who are not even there for what is correct or not, I have so far 7 videos in my channel showing this ... But there are also the "Cooperatives" that give value to the sense of Simulation and Fun intergrated Either on the trains or just walking to make your delivery ...

I sincerely would like to see more people honking to greet someone than holding the horn just to 'troll'.

[BR] É @JeffSFC

Eu concordo com você sobre ser um jogo de simulação e aqui no Brasil os caminhoneiros dão um "Oi!" no rádio, piscam o faról (até como os próprios carros também as vezes...) e até buzinam, e é isso oque eu mesmo faço, no Multiplayer.
Concordo também que todos tem de ter PACIENCIA e que todos temos DIFERENÇA na Internet de cada um e temos que nos manter em uma distancia SEGURA.

Vejo muitos e muitos casos que tem gente que não está nem aí pro que é correto ou não, tenho até então 7 videos no meu canal mostrando isso... Mas também há as "Cooperativas" que dão valor ao sentido de Simulação e Divertimento intregado seja nos comboios ou andando só pra fazer sua entrega...

EU sinceramente gostaria de ver mais gente buzinando pra saudar alguém do que segurando a buzina só pra 'trolar'.

I will say it in a short and easy answer.

Because you don't get that rush of somebody else is coming other way or you are going to tip over and it feels more fun but staying at speed limit (like what i did when @kyle70001 made me to :angry:) it is boring because all you get is people overtaking you and you will never tip over at slow speeds so it just gets boring like when i go speed limit i drive correctly in every way for some reason but if you go faster it is more fun. Nobody knows why this is just my opinion, you know what @RazzaKat is like XD

vkdg7t.jpgbanner

The problem with any online simulator is ease of accessibility.

Compare ETS2/ATSMP to, say VATSIM (For those not in the loop, think FSX/P3D/XPlane flight simulators, with a global network with ATC in a simulation environment).

What does ETS2MP require?

• Steam
  • $20 (Probably much less on G2A but I can't be asked to check)
  • A half decent computer.

And what does a flight sim environment like VATSIM require?

• Steam
  • Game (Depending on which game - they're interopable - $20 up to $100+)
  • Joystick/throttles, while not technically required, it's very hard to fly without.
  • Many mods are payware.
  • Charts, navigation, understanding of flight modules, etc.

The simple fact is as the barrier to entry gets harder, the people who are just here to screw around get disinterested. That's why you can hardly drive on ETS2MP particularly (ATSMP isn't as bad imho) without somehow being affected by it, whereas on VATSIM for example one can fly from one end of a country to another in a completely immersive environment.

Unfortunately, it isn't a mindset more than it's the barrier of entry and effort required to get in and get involved. But that also goes both ways, getting new players involved is very  much dependent on the barrier to entry.

TL;DR is it's a double edged sword, you generally can associate lower barriers of entry with higher playercounts, but a less skillful/serious playerbase, and vice versa with a more able playerbase meaning its a much smaller playerbase.

beep boop

3 hours ago, JeffSFC said:

Why is driving correctly considered so... Boring?

Because it is boring. Trucking as a job is boring and it should be. If you drive day by day you don't want to be exhausted as a racing driver after few hours of pushing to the limits. As a truck driver you make a mileage without even a single mishap in a lifetime. It's a challenge but not for everyone's taste.

Thou I wish there were less racers in the game I rather mingle with racers than drive on empty roads.  I don't see how to force someone to stick to the rules. Even IRL truckers do flip their trailers. In game there's little consequence so there's more racing than trucking. My two cents :)

I completely agree with you about that, ETS2 is a simulator, not a racing game. And yes, ETS2MP is fun some times, but people who think it's boring to drive under the limits and follow the in game law should've thought about getting this game. This is called "Euro Truck Simulator 2" not Euro Truck Racing, it was named a Simulator for a reason, to simulate being a truck driver, not driving under the limits like a maniac. To be honest, It's sort of hard to explain and no one will probably understand me in this text. But who would buy this game if it's it logically states Euro Truck Simulator 2, why would they buy it if it's a simulator, not a racing/driving around the city game. Ugh. Why people.

But I'm not against others, trucking can be a boring job, but also fun if you think about it, but just driving with a trailer to you're destination, as I said can be quite boring, but yeah, ETS 2 on it's own is boring, ETS2MP is much more fun.

I can't remember the last time i saw every single road clear of traffic 24/7, you can market a game as a simulator but when you make multiplayer what do you really expect?

It is a video game and usually you are supposed to have fun when playing video games.

I just saying that a game is alot different than real life and so the expectations that you would set yourself while driving on the road is alot lower due to the fact that you are aware that you are playing a video game and that you are not risking anybodys life.

14 minutes ago, [S.PLH]Warrior said:

@JeffSFC i noticed 1 thing in your video although the speed limit on that road is 50 you drove a average speed of 60-70

you should follow the given speed as that make it more realistic :) but hey that is mine opinion, furthermore i did like the video

Trucks limit in that road is 60km/h.

I kinda go for a hybrid approach. When there are NO other players around, I'll take the truck up to full speed, however, I will do the limit (or just over) when there are other players around.

A lot of the time when there are players around, I'll use the Cruise Control in order to keep at a speed which won't hold up traffic, but is still in the limit.

It's all about personal judgement, for example, where you feel it is safe to take the truck up to faster speeds, then that's fine.

However, you have to always be aware that if there is a collision, your speed may be taken into consideration. 

Current Status: status.png

Waddle On!                    

It's all about knowing your truck's limits. I know how fast I can go without crashing so I drive at that speed. other's don't know the limits and cause crashes. I do follow all other laws but I'll do 50mph on the Calais to Duisburg road compared to the 37 limit as it's has safer

The main problem is people don't have patience (as we see by all the raging about the new trailer pack not being supported yet) and end up crashing. And boredom has nothing to do with trolls. Those people will ruin any game for someone.

It's far safer driving over the limit sometimes as the low limit means people will be more likely to recklessly overtake you and crash.

I agree, I like to play like in real life to give it more realism. I dip the lights when oncoming traffic is approaching and always stop at red lights even if there is no traffic there, it's just how I like to play it. I would find it the opposite if you drive fast around the map where is the fun in that? The counter argument though would be speeding happens in real life so it happens but what should be in the game is some sort of penalty like speeding fines so when you go through red lights for instance it can give you a higher value than normal many thousands instead of around £200. You could also have a system where we all have a licence and you get points on it, get to a certain amount and you get a ban for a certain amount of time. Overall as long as they don't hit me while speeding then it's fine but if they do i'll just report it. 

Forget about simulation!

I was like you until last month, when I got my driving license. I tried to drive like I would do in real life, but you simply can't! There are too many turkish and russian kids who aren't respecting traffic rules and who are lagging like hell! And trust me, I have about 500.000km on this game, I'm playing it from 2011 or 2012. Now if I want to calm down, I just take my keys and go for a ride in real life or I'm playing this game offline.

@JeffSFC I agree with you. Its nice that, there are few people who are playing it like in real life. Even, that you are an admin it's glad to hear that.

Guys, firstly you need to realize, that this game is Simulator. All of you are tryin to play as a truck drivers, but the only thing you do is that you are racing with each other and compete who's bigger boss or something like that. I still don't get it, what's this all about. Maybe i'm an idiot everything is possible who knows. Secondly, I don't know why on EU2 isn't the speed limit and arguments like go play to EU1 you j*rk or something like that.... Go to h**l please. Everything is about community and players, but on the other side it's like there's no speed limit so we can do what we want. Do you have problems with this when everyone is overtaking you? :D Then don't play it lol. You wanna be truck drivers, but you don't wanna be truck driver in the same time. You wanna be racers, that's the problem. Go play another games like I don't know for e.g. Project Cars or something like that - enjoy torrents for free, to the time they won't be there :D. Do you think it's a foppery to race with truck and trailer? I don't think so. You want something, but it's just an occasion... But what can we change? To be honest nothing. You can drive as in RL and maybe you can affect some people around you. But as I said, everything is about community. It's like you wanna have a democratic state but you don't even know what's democracy, or much better you don't recognize the values of democracy. It's piece of sheet :(  It's ridiculous and sometimes it seems like a big joke. It would be so hard to make it like we want it :)

Now you can hunt me! :) 

Have a nice day everyone :P

@BadDriver Yeah, but I don't think that this is a solution for this problem. If everyone will take it as you, we can uninstall this game and it would be the best opportunity for us to make it clear. I played MP like one week ago and I stood in a traffic jam for like an 30 - 45 minutes. What's the difference between making and trip in an hour or in an hour and half for example? Are you hunting kilometers or what? It's sad, that we are force to play on EU1 where aren't as much people as on EU2 and sometimes it's really boring. There are thousand of games, when you can race with anything you want., but I don't think that ETS2 is one of them! PIECE

@oolala11 I agree :) but still I won't driving faster :P In our VTC we are going to make an rule that you can't go faster then 90km/h, but we will tolerate the 100km/h because you can make it with letting your tempomat + 10km/h in the settings of the game so. This topic is for a long long long discussion ;). There will be few guys as me or @JeffSFC @Rattatki @Skywalker93 and so many guys on the other side :)

// EDIT - I don't drive 60 on the roads where is this speed, but I'm talking about max speed which is 90! Cities 60, others from 80-90 :) 

mostly a times i play on eu1 server that means, no racing kiddies because of the speedlimit and no cars and also less ramming at the back of my truck from honk spamming irritating players that pretend to be trucker, i have seen a lot bad language too on radio as well as in chat and then i start thinking: poor kids go play cod or something, also this game is not formula 1 game its an truck sim which means, behave like a trucker would.

anyway the most truckers on eu1 server are fine truckers with good behaviour and i am fine with that.

within short time i have to go to school to get my truck license, so my kind of work will change from enginering mechanic to real trucker, so a lot learning to do and all kind of tests en books.

best regards from roberto

13 minutes ago, dredlocks131 said:

mostly a times i play on eu1 server that means, no racing kiddies because of the speedlimit and no cars and also less ramming at the back of my truck from honk spamming irritating players that pretend to be trucker, i have seen a lot bad language too on radio as well as in chat and then i start thinking: poor kids go play cod or something, also this game is not formula 1 game its an truck sim which means, behave like a trucker would.

anyway the most truckers on eu1 server are fine truckers with good behaviour and i am fine with that.

within short time i have to go to school to get my truck license, so my kind of work will change from enginering mechanic to real trucker, so a lot learning to do and all kind of tests en books.

best regards from roberto

Jep it is so-really

1 hour ago, marco6158 said:

I get 60km/h on my gps.

The Calais-Duisburg road, when starting from Calais, is 80 Km/h limited, with a couple of stretches (the fuel stations) limited to 50 Km/h. When you enter Germany, though, the speed limit is 60 Km/h.

1 hour ago, oolala11 said:

It's far safer driving over the limit sometimes as the low limit means people will be more likely to recklessly overtake you and crash.

It's far safer for the speeders. I may be as boring as the OP, but when I drive that road I do the speed limits (sometimes I skip the 50 Km/h stretch if coming from 80 Km/h, because I know that the truck behind is very likely to rear end). And yes, a lot of people overtakes me, even when doing 80 Km/h. They crash? Their fault. They crash against  my truck? Recorded and reported for reckless overtaking and ramming. I don't go recording everyone breaking the rules on that road, there's no time in a day to file all the reports it would generate. But those who hit my truck when overtaking?... All of them.

And I know the "go to EU#1 if you want to drive by the speed limits". My answer is "Go to NFS or The Crew if you want to drive like it's a race". What I do, instead, is avoid that road as much as I can. I've been doing WoT jobs lately, to get the new achievements. Keeping the routes in the Scandinavia area or Italy - East Europe is enough to get the job done with 0% or minimum damage. Tried the same in Calais - Duisburg - Rotterdam areas... 5 jobs cancelled because the cargo had been damaged over 30%. 

Thank you for sharing the video. I watched all 30minutes of it.  I too like to drive "correctly".  I try to follow the Truck Speed Limits, indicate at junctions and try to keep a safe distance from other trucks (not always easy with the lag).  I have often wondered myself as to why others drive so differently to me, when indeed it is supposed to be a simulator that represents real-life truck driving (as best as it can).

The problem with playing in multiplayer is that despite having a full server of say 2K players, roads can still feel empty. So naturally you go faster than the speed limit. Going slow when there is no traffic to go slow for seems rather pointless and boring.There's speeding and then there is just driving too fast. Like I normally drive at 90KM/h on single carriageway roads, which while this tends to be over the speed limit for some roads, it isn't really that fast. However I slow down for sharp bends as and when required. Motorways at 90KM/h is quite slow and boring for me. So I tend to do 105KM/h instead which is fast enough to still progress but not so fast you're swerving all over the place.

6 hours ago, Ozy said:

The problem with any online simulator is ease of accessibility.

Compare ETS2/ATSMP to, say VATSIM (For those not in the loop, think FSX/P3D/XPlane flight simulators, with a global network with ATC in a simulation environment).

What does ETS2MP require?

• Steam
  • $20 (Probably much less on G2A but I can't be asked to check)
  • A half decent computer.

And what does a flight sim environment like VATSIM require?

• Steam
  • Game (Depending on which game - they're interopable - $20 up to $100+)
  • Joystick/throttles, while not technically required, it's very hard to fly without.
  • Many mods are payware.
  • Charts, navigation, understanding of flight modules, etc.

The simple fact is as the barrier to entry gets harder, the people who are just here to screw around get disinterested. That's why you can hardly drive on ETS2MP particularly (ATSMP isn't as bad imho) without somehow being affected by it, whereas on VATSIM for example one can fly from one end of a country to another in a completely immersive environment.

Unfortunately, it isn't a mindset more than it's the barrier of entry and effort required to get in and get involved. But that also goes both ways, getting new players involved is very  much dependent on the barrier to entry.

TL;DR is it's a double edged sword, you generally can associate lower barriers of entry with higher playercounts, but a less skillful/serious playerbase, and vice versa with a more able playerbase meaning its a much smaller playerbase.

@Ozy, I wish I could give you more than one upvote. I wanted to mention this but I was afraid I would end up with more of a wall of text than I already have. I have a very limited experience with the VATSIM community but also a lot of respect for it as well. It's a very mature group of players who all enjoy and respect the simulator aspect of their aviation games.

5 hours ago, [S.PLH]Warrior said:

@JeffSFC i noticed 1 thing in your video although the speed limit on that road is 50 you drove a average speed of 60-70

you should follow the given speed as that make it more realistic :) but hey that is mine opinion, furthermore i did like the video

@[S.PLH]Warrior, That is correct. The speed limit on that road is 50, in mph. My speedometer is in Km/h. :)

5 hours ago, jdawgs88 said:

I completely agree with you about that, ETS2 is a simulator, not a racing game. And yes, ETS2MP is fun some times, but people who think it's boring to drive under the limits and follow the in game law should've thought about getting this game. This is called "Euro Truck Simulator 2" not Euro Truck Racing, it was named a Simulator for a reason, to simulate being a truck driver, not driving under the limits like a maniac. To be honest, It's sort of hard to explain and no one will probably understand me in this text. But who would buy this game if it's it logically states Euro Truck Simulator 2, why would they buy it if it's a simulator, not a racing/driving around the city game. Ugh. Why people.

But I'm not against others, trucking can be a boring job, but also fun if you think about it, but just driving with a trailer to you're destination, as I said can be quite boring, but yeah, ETS 2 on it's own is boring, ETS2MP is much more fun.

Yeah, the vary same people who purchase ETS2 and praise it for it's simulator aspects are the ones who end up breaking the rules and driving recklessly.

4 hours ago, oolala11 said:

It's all about knowing your truck's limits. I know how fast I can go without crashing so I drive at that speed. other's don't know the limits and cause crashes. I do follow all other laws but I'll do 50mph on the Calais to Duisburg road compared to the 37 limit as it's has safer

The main problem is people don't have patience (as we see by all the raging about the new trailer pack not being supported yet) and end up crashing. And boredom has nothing to do with trolls. Those people will ruin any game for someone.

@oolala11 Patience is a virtue. I will agree with you that on occasion, driving over the speed limit makes it safer. In the video I had a guy who waited for me to pass him on the sliproad. He then proceeded to get far too close to my trailer for my comfort so I was forced to try and make extra space but it didn't really work out. I think the better method in every situation is to recognise how there is a difference between what you see, and that players actual position on their screen.

42 minutes ago, MarkJ84 said:

Thank you for sharing the video. I watched all 30minutes of it.  I too like to drive "correctly".  I try to follow the Truck Speed Limits, indicate at junctions and try to keep a safe distance from other trucks (not always easy with the lag).  I have often wondered myself as to why others drive so differently to me, when indeed it is supposed to be a simulator that represents real-life truck driving (as best as it can).

@MarkJ84 Glad there's a few of us!

22 minutes ago, Nitecreeper said:

The problem with playing in multiplayer is that despite having a full server of say 2K players, roads can still feel empty. So naturally you go faster than the speed limit. Going slow when there is no traffic to go slow for seems rather pointless and boring.There's speeding and then there is just driving too fast. Like I normally drive at 90KM/h on single carriageway roads, which while this tends to be over the speed limit for some roads, it isn't really that fast. However I slow down for sharp bends as and when required. Motorways at 90KM/h is quite slow and boring for me. So I tend to do 105KM/h instead which is fast enough to still progress but not so fast you're swerving all over the place.

@Nitecreeper Well if people would stop coming online and simply driving around Rotterdam and instead brached out and just simply drove, I think we would see more players!

5ekjGCj.png

Intel i7 7700k│ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero│G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 16GB 3000MHz │EVGA GTX 1080 FTW│EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2│Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe M.2/Samsung 850 EVO 500GB│Corsair H100i v2│Corsair iCUE 465x RGB

Audio Technica AD700's│Beyerdymanic DT770's 80Ω│Corsair Strafe RGB Blues│Logitech G502 Spectrum│Alienware AW3420DW

Archived